This is Pynchon's greatest novel, why haven't you read it yet?

This is Pynchon's greatest novel, why haven't you read it yet?

Because my copy only arrived yesterday

i got the audiobook on sale on itunes for $6 like two years ago but since it's like 2 gigs and who knows how many dozens of hours i didn't listen yet lol

>Another po-mo doorstopper.

I'll pass.

b-but muh marketed perceptions of erudition!

Easy there Mr peterson lmao

i did but the difficulty outweighed the fun and i spent most of the read utterly confused

will probably read it again and see the light some day.

Nigga you dumb

It's not unreadable but at times it's even more confusing than GR, my dude.

But yeah, probably my favourite Pynch, a very heartfelt book.

I'd like to read V.!

>Wastes two weeks of life reading V., a book about a yo-yoing vagabond and a woman and some other nonsense.

V.! was overrated, but GR is his masterpiece! Let's give it a go!
>Wastes a month of life reading GR. Something about erections and intelligence and rockets look like pee-pees and here a giant noise. Author was clearly fucked up on drugs while writing most of this.

I got almost nothing from GR, but hmmmm, maybe Inherent Vice will be interesting. They're making a movie, ya know!
>Muh Golden Fang, burnout stoner trope, California here we come.

Wow, all of these books suck. Maybe I'll read an 11,000 page book about a period of time that Erik Larson covers better and more imaginatively in 300 pages!
>Re-reads Devil in the White City, is astounded by the artistry and erudition.

I've read gr crying and son & xon. Son and xon were my favourite. How does this compare?

If Pynchon reads this board, I hope he knows that 99.99% of posts like this are pure bait, and that he is a deeply respected and admired artist of the highest caliber.

This tbqh

Let us rise from the dark era of Pynchposting and return to the days of intellectual discussion of his books

Why don't we just like go find him

The Devil in the White City? That book was an incredible dull chore. what artistry? even if you dont like Pynchon, what the fuck are you even talking about? that book was utter garbage and I was actually exited to read it because I heard it was going to be adapted into film and the World Fair seem like an interesting setting for a true crime mystery but all I got was pages and pages of how some irrelevant character was sick and couldnt work on site and how the plants and flowers had to be oh so perfect. Not even the parts with the killer could sustain it.

>

then fucking color me baited, because I cant look at this board any more if that post is sincere. I can understand an aversion to Pynchon's books and style, but to say there is erudition and artistry in The White City wew my guy you got me fumin'.

I know.

I'm sure he knows it's all done in the name of love.

Hurry up and read it and report back. It's my favorite from him, but Gravity's Rainbow and Mason & Dixon take that spot on some days as well.

It's okay if it's too hard for you, bud, there has to be dumb people too or else King would never sell novels.

>implying he didn't write that just to rile anons up
I'm on to you, Pinecone. Your clever tricks won't work on me.

Bump

I would actually like a decent discussion about ATD. It's like a big shadow looming in the corner

>le it's his least talked about and biggest therefore it's his best

Fuck off it's GR or M&D

more like

I'd like to read Gravity's Rainbow
>wow this is one of the best pieces of art i've ever experienced

GR was a masterpiece, how is V?
>wow this is a really good first novel and some of the most fun i've ever had reading

I wonder how his "potboiler" The Crying of Lot 49 is
>wow it's a perfectly plotted mini-masterpiece!

I wonder how Vineland, which is apparently terrible, reads
>wow it's really good too I don't know why people don't like this!

ETC

It's too long. All of the time spent reading such a long book could be spent reading other books.

Have you read it? It's legimately my favorite, though it's close. Stop with your pathetic greentext and explain yourself pussy

I enjoyed it. It was one of the things that pushed me towards going to uni for photonics.

Turns out, basing a life-changing decision on a book is a terrible idea, no matter how much you like that book.

Thank you for defending Pynchon against plebs.

I don't read any living authors. So far it's served me pretty well.

I hate both of you.

They are both the same man.

Literally the only Pinecone I haven't finished. I've had a copy sitting on my table for over a year and haven't even gotten 50 pages into it.

this. /pol/ found some god damn masked anarchist that smashed a guy with a bike lock with very little evidence, and Veeky Forums can't even find the greatest living author in the world. i thought this place was full of smart people.

Because we're not autists. The guy is actually pretty easy to get in touch with, everyone knows all you gotta do is send a letter or e-mail to his wife / agent, but we're not redditors willing

>we're not autists

My copy of The Crying of Lot 49 arrived today. I'll start with that soon as I'm done with what I'm currently reading.

>My copy of The Crying of Lot 49 arrived today
>arrived
be sure to check for irregularities.

>mfw my copy (in that exact edition) arrived just three hours ago

Not gonna be reading it for a while because I've got other books on the list but I hope it's good. How is it different/similar to GR and M&D?

i cant find it used and im not paying thirty dollars for a half-foot thick paper back that will fall apart before page 200

It starts out really dorky with the Chums of Chance stuff.

I bought it at B&N for like 15 dollars. I bought a first edition hardcover for 23 just recently. I've seen it at Goodwill. You're not looking hard enough.

GR is his best but I respect your opinion and anyone who dislikes him.

GR is top 3 of the 20th century.

>All of the time spent reading other books could be spent reading such a long book.
you are dumb and you should feel bad

my eyes are plastic

that's such a fucking horrible cover

i loved TCoL49 and IV but can't get through V. it started well but i'm at the part where some rican kids are annoying benny on the train and it's just boring me. i have a feeling that it peaked with the nose job chapter and the rest is just fluff

should i skip it? also should i read barth's sot weed factor before M&D? it came out first and sounds very similar.

Feels like a dimestore imitation of M&D to be totally honest imo

What the fuck are you talking about? In what way?

It's clearly TcoL49 copy pasted 5 or 6 times over.

I like it still, don't get me wrong, but M&D basically covers a lot of the same stuff and much better. That said, the western portions were. the. shit.

>t. Thomas Pynchon