What is the worst book you've ever read, and why?

What is the worst book you've ever read, and why?

Some Danish fantasy novel. Amazingly generic, only read it for school

JANE EYRE

Infinite Jest or Broom of the System. Or Celine in english translation

Infinite Jest because it was too long, and unnecessarily complex at times.

Sabbath's Theatre. Never has transgressive literature been so dull and garrulous.

Infinite Jest

Wow, you read two DFWs?

I gave up on books of this genre a long time ago.

Probably L'amant from Marguerite Duras. Never read a book that bland and boring

your diary desu

Dan Brown.
I hate myself.

haha this

it's not the worst of all time, but sartre's nausea was the only book i've ever dropped halfway through.

yes!!! my nigga

Reading it at the moment. It's called the man in the fith row.
First book i read that i was really annoyed with. Reading it for a literary bookclub.
Second book were discussing there, first was a nice read, this is just horrible.

The author seems to be trying to compensate their lack of literary talant with her own ideas and insights. She swamps you at the beginning, every small paragraph is finished with a deep fucking thought. It's hit and miss. Damn i'm mad, i'm looking forward to crush this at the meeting.

One question, i haven't read that much, other there have read tons, how can't they see that this is plain poison?

Reading Stand in Zanzibar and it's really fucking irritating, the thought of finishing it makes me want to scream

WHY must you torture me with the jezerbells, they got such large tits. I'm trying to be absent and can't touch my cock anymore. Devil stuff, you know what I mean. Lets just keep talking about books and not posting human bodies. I don't want to get tempted into showering and making an okcupid profile.

>okcupid profile
Oh god user no don't do it. It's not worth it.

The sound and the fury. My teacher made us use a permanent marker to black out every single use of the word nigger because they were new copies for our year.

Island by Aldous Huxley

Nice pasta.

Horrorstor. Short ghost horror novel set in an Ikea rip off. Concept sounded fun, thought it would make a good distraction between more serious works.

It was fucking shite. Poorly written, uninteresting characters, standard horror fare that just wasn't scary or fun. Blurb described it as a horror comedy, it was just bad horror.

Shite.

The Illustrated Man by Ray Bradbury. Too dated and entirely predictable and just a slog to get through. Never like Fahrenheit 451 but absolutely loathed him after IM

The last truly terrible book I read was the Wise Man's Fear. Such a pity to see an interesting setting be used for such outright masturbation.

I've read worse, but I also forget about the bad ones pretty quickly.

why u hate Jane senpai?

Yes

Atlas Shrugged. Yes, I read the whole thing.

Ayn Rand's "philosophy" and world view is retarded.

House Of Incest by Anais Nin.

I love dream-like rambling narratives like Burroughs but holy shit was that book dull. it was like 70 pages and i was so bored it took me around 4 hours to finish it.

And the worst part is that i fucking love Anais Nin, her short stories collections in particular.

Jane eyre is a bretty good book

The Versions Of Us by Laura Bennett. Hated the structure enough to put it down.

A tie between:

Angels and Demons by Dan Brown;
Kiss the Girls by James Patterson;
Purity by Jonnyboo Franztit
Less Than Zero by whatshisname

This site is 18+. Please, leave.

>whorres annoy

Kek

I though it was half decent

What was its name? I'm Danish, so I might know of it. I was also forced to read shit in school

Let the Great World Spin

Imagine a Britbong's only knowledge of NYC was through visits as a tourist and Lifetime/very-special-episodes regarding drugs, prostitution, etc. Now, imagine this Britbong actually and seriously writing a book about this caricature impression of NYC in the 70s/80s, as if it were the real thing.

It's so fucking bad, goddamn.

The first 10 or so pages of 50 shades of Grey were awful. Terrible expressions like "my two left feet tee hee". Seemed written by a non-native English speaker.

Also Taipei by Tao Lin. Read two thirds of that garbage and it felt like a thousand pages. Boring, slow, pointless.

"I should shoplift some batteries" he said, with a neutral expression on his face. Dakota Fanning laughed and tried to draw another giraffe on his arm.

Why?
The idiot is the only one I've dropped half-way through. Idk loved C&P but there was almost nothing engaging about this one.

There goes my nofap marathone. Fuck you OP.

If we discount all the pulp and genre, then IJ without doubt.

You you say you were...
>Nauseated
?

Either "Great Expectations" by Charles Dickens or "A Canticle for Leibowitz" by Walter M. Miller Jr.

"Great Expectations" is horribly written and super tedious.

"A Canticle for Leibowitz" got me super invested in the protagonist only for him to randomly die halfway thru the book. I felt like I had wasted a huge amount of time. It's not like Game of Thrones where there are multiple plots and protagonists, so it felt like the whole story ended, even though there was plenty of crap left to read.

me too. I read C&P, Notes From The Underground, a collection of Dostoyevsky's short stories, and Brothers Karamazov, but The Idiot was just too boring for me too finish

I figured I'd read something light, something comedic, that sort of thing, and this was being memed to hell and back in my homecountry.

Utter shit. The main character is a fucking asshole we're supposed to sympathize with because he's and old man, but also avuncular and cheeky, isn't that crazy? I don't know how to describe the style, but it's like someone trying to rip-off Forrest Gump and just fucking it up.

Can't seem to find it, my memory is too vague. Female author, coming of age story, I believe there were nomads in it? That's about all. Honestly I just remember finding it insultingly stupid. If I was a greater person it'd probably have inspired me to try harder to write because apparently hacks like this author can get work

Jesus that looks like my ex-gf

Same tits and everything. Kinda scared desu.

1Q84, autor make fetiche Japanese, middle mediocre man teach fuck girl 18 years old big boob shyness

hi i like boobs

Omitting books I read for school, definitely Blood Meridian

the Judge is an interesting character (his destroying of historical artifacts gave me pause to seriously reflect on culture and meaning), but the book falls flat.

i hated shakespeare because they forced it down our throats in highschool.

i hated how 2666 was pretentious and hypocritical, and also longer than it needed to be.

i remember when i read less than zero in highschool i was unimpressed. seemed vapid at the time.

infinite jest bored me.

but i guess the worst might be breakfast of champions. that being said, i dont mind some of vonneguts other works.

sounds great

jesus, less than zero was awful

the alchemist made me want to puke
I didnt finish it but what I read of the road was bad

How Many Miles to Babylon.

The PoV character came off as a sociopath in a situation where you are very evidently supposed to be rooting for them.

Interesting new strategy Tao. Gearing up for the new novel release?

some trash airport scifii novel i read when i was sixteen on holiday and only picked up because i liked the cover illustration. Something about a giant megacity having some mutagen cosmetic released by accident and turning everyone into beasts. Lots of stupid actions scene and some disgusting ones where the main characters love interest turns into a mutant but is still somehow sentient and there are vivid descriptions of her mutant labia producing a viscous slime because she still loves the main character. Ends in a big fight where it turns out that the cosmetic mutagen was produced by a lovecraftian AI god and they blow up the base and everyone transforms back and all is good but leaves it open for sequel from this hack piece of shit writer to make more money off stupid teenagers and bored accountants.

Doing an application for an agency… They sent me a book to do a reader's report on. Made me feel more comfortable with my taste

Of course that's your answer.

The bible

Fuck. I bought the book on a whim, and now I have to believe it's bad because someone on an anti-moose Hungarian hoverboard said so.

I can't even find the receipt to return it.

Which book?

Hard to pick one, the old testament has a lot awful ones like Deuteronomy.

kek

Fahrenheit 451

This. It was required for some shitty writing class I had back in high school. I refused to finish it. Everything about the book is terrible, the prose is garbage, it's boring as fuck, and it offers no insight beyond "drinking too much is bad". Wow!

How this absolute drivel was critically acclaimed is completely beyond me.

What other translations of Celine have you read?

This. It was so intellectually dishonest.

IJ

Hunger by knut hamsun
Because i just lost a few IQ points by finishing it 5 minutes ago.

What about BoC did you dislike?

I read those a long time ago. I don't remember them being offensive for what they were.

I was in a shitty book club where in our second meeting I was the only one who had read the book

really enjoyed that book.
once you understand the crazed disjointed "modern media" bits. Its actually a depiction of the future not to far removed from this present timeline. Persist you may well be rewarded

please clap

>

Lol

I once read the Twilight series, because autismo 5th grade me ran out of shit to read, and the teacher figured "these are thick, that'll occupy him."
Obligatory Harry Potter
As for a single book, I'd say Tangerine by Edward Bloor. It was required for a class in 7th grade, and from the set-up on the back cover, I figured I'd at least get some decent fantasy/spook out of it (given that it mentioned things like a house that had been hit by lightning 3 times, and an underground coal vein that was accidentally lit on fire, and continued burning.)

No. It was just about some special as fuck kid with thick as fuck glasses, learning to play soccer. And also
>muh spics

The Celestine Prophecy by a fair margin. Got through about 10 pages before I realized what a crock of shit it is.

Hidden Messages in Water was also a laughable crock of shit for gullible people.

The reason I hate both is that dumb people point to them as examples of their "not religious but spiritual" worldview, which disagreeing with makes you "closed minded." I hate people like this and hate the retarded pablum they read to feel smart and enlightened.

To kill a mockingbird

Probably The Unvanquished, if I'm not counting trashcan lit. I need to give it a second go, though.

Rules for Radicals was also offensively bad, more because of Alinsky being everything wrong with modern liberalism than for any literary reason.

the four agreements. never read rupi but i bet its right alongside her pile of dogshit.

What a beautiful woman

>Canticle for Leibowitz

There are three sections each 600 years apart, everyone dies, user. The only lasting characters in the book are the church itself and Lazarus.

>having this little self-control

You'll never make it bud, enjoy Avīci faggot.

All that just to trip balls

Oh my fucking god.

There's two sections after that in different points of time (in the future of that post-apocalyptic world)

What the fuck user. Just read it. I'm mad just thinking of how badly you fucked up.

* (anything) by Aldous Huxley

The stoner

It was a horror story. Some Stephen King knockoff, maybe Straub. Standard haunted/cursed hotel story, ghosts playing with people using people from their past to frighten or disturb them. It was the book equivalent of Manos: The Hands of Fate.

Oh, and the why: I was working as a security officer at a sawmill, overnight shift. I read to pass the time, forgot to bring anything with me, but someone left that behind. It was all I had.

This is your brain on Christfaggotry

Katie.com (A Girl's Life Online)

It was assigned reading in high school. My freshman year English teacher thought it would help us understand how dangerous it was to talk to strangers on the Internet.

It was trash.

Hemingway's The old man and the sea

Terrible writing style, non existent plot and to top it off, an overrated author :^)

Wew lad. Way to go against the grain. Gj. Gj. xD

Blood Meridian. Just all around bad. Atrocious, pointless, meaningless and stupid. It was boring as shit.

Tie for #2 would be The Stranger or Fahrenheit 451.

Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance

I've grown allergic to naive positivity (or maybe false hope, or maybe just hope. I'm depressed).

Orhan Pamuk's Snow. Because it's shit.

hunger was amazing.
your just a psued.