Reading and comprehending the Greeks

>Reading and comprehending the Greeks
>Not wanting to lift/get big

These are mutually exclusive, bros.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/channel/UCjYthOcaxJy2924cgtHLTrQ
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diagoras_of_Rhodes
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

My dream is that I will lift so much and get so big that I will become like a neoclassical sculpture of the archetypical Greek hero, perhaps Diomedes. Then I will walk around always reading a book in one massive hand, and I will get a girlfriend. Even when I'm naked and not flexing, all of my muscles will be completely taut and bulging and I will completely dominate a room with my presence. I will fuck my girlfriend.

These are not as mutually exclusive as you think, bro.

>understanding something and agreeing with it are the the same thing
what did he mean by this?

Strength and hypertrophy are two different things. The culture which accompanies the latter is the antithesis of patrician and seems aggressively feminine. I still lift though
>muh primping
>muh looks

Is this copypasta

it is now

What if you're not a dude?

>implying weightlifting is for hypertrophy

>I will fuck my girlfriend.
Okay, this made me laugh. an upvote for you, sir.

>I'm fat

>my girlfriend.

come on user, it's okay to call it boipussi these days. the stoic man feels no shame.

>tfw the captcha is up the street from me

There's a shitty horror movie in there somewhere

Then ewe become a deadly shot preferably with bow and arrow, derr.

Hit the gym for the first time today and I'm reading Aristotle

Amazons were considered grotesque barbarians by the greeks though.

I wish desu

If you can't lift at least 1/2/3/4 you're not worthy of understanding the greeks.

lifting for its own sake is pretty sad desu. it should be only used to discipline one's passions. once thats over with, it should be disposed of then one's full efforts should be spent in either poetry, politics, or philosophy.

also, greeks trained both in music and gymnastics. contemporary lifting culture likes to tell just half the story.

Artemis. Her maidens. Something lithe, small-chested, handsome.

Athletes are closer to the Greeks than are boys who treat exercise as a real sport

>treat exercise as a real sport
this, lifting is barely a hobby unless you're oly lifting

We might be the only two people on this board then.

I've asked everywhere and no one will recommend books about fitness besides Mishima. Do they even exist? I wanna read about the glories of crafting and training the physical body.

I always get reminded of the Greeks when I lift shirtless.

breh

>Wanting a gf instead of sweet boipussi

These are mutually exclusive, bro.

Plato talks about it a bit IIRC

Granted, but pic related is your girlfriend

That's kinda hot.

I'm sure, but I don't really wanna go through all of Plato just to find passages about sexy boys

>inb4 "this pleb doesn't wanna read all of plato lmao"

enjoy senpai
youtube.com/channel/UCjYthOcaxJy2924cgtHLTrQ

What a sweetie

=]

Sparrow a cute. A CUTE!

I'm with you in trying find similar literature. I've just decided that the best way to get to these books indirectly is to read literature that does not degrade the physical realm, that is, pantheism.
Still, I haven't explored that realm beyond Spinoza and the Hellenistic schools.
(Reading about the Cynics might be a good start).

Could you elaborate a bit more? I never got a proper philosophy education. Though I've read a good bit of the Stoics, mainly Epictetus and Seneca.

Okay, well, in my view, the reason why the nerdy-types don't like the jock-types is a fundamental misunderstanding of Plato/NeoPlatonism/Christianity. With the first two, really, all there is is the divine. The divine emanated into the physical world (complex process, but think of it like drip coffee that drips into another filter of drip coffee, but where the start is more 'pure' than the end). So, where God is the greatest Good, existence is the least Good - this makes it evil, but not evil as something that exists, but evil as the lack of Good. Christianity takes this narrative, but throws the curveball of Christ into the mix. As the faith pivots upon the notion of salvation through Christ, where Christ is the New Adam, as Adam has caused the fall of humanity, and, thus, we have original sin. Simply put: Humans=Bad, but Humans+Jesus=Good. This gives evil a physicality (despite many of the most respected theologians arguing the opposite (Augustine for sure, but, I think, Anselm and Aquinas). So, where God is not a man-in-the-sky, but the all-thinking Mind (Aristotle) or Logos (Heraclitus), which the Christians believe, and the physical realm distracts one from the pursuit of pure intellection, the physical is seen as evil.

Now, pantheists, such as Spinoza and the Stoics, see that the physical realm as the divine realm. Nature is God (Spinoza), or Nature is the body of God (Stoics). (Heidegger probably takes this up, but I'm too stupid and lazy to try to understand him right now). This changes the approach to evil, as evil cannot exist as anything but the lack of Good. But as that all things are, all things are good. So to act Good in the world is to care for the body of God, thus to act well to ones own body (through fitness.etc) is to take care of God. Our everyday activities become prayers, rather than the more important prayers of words with in the Christian system (Catholics and the Orthodox are less guilty of this than Protestants).

So, if you've read the Odyssey you can see Odysseus' ability to string his bow is an act of moral rectitude, where all the suitors can't do it because they are morally corrupt. Homer thinks strength=righteousness. According to Diongenes Laertius, Plato was a wrestler, Cleanthes a boxer, and Chrysippus a sprinter. Some of the most respected philosophers in ancient Greece were athletes.

Anyway, the Greeks are the best to understand this Mind-Body dynamic (anyone who talks about Mind-Body DUALISM before Descartes is an idiot). The Cynics particularly focus on action.

Also, might be fun to check out:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diagoras_of_Rhodes

physical well being is done through healthy food and walking. beyond this shows that you either do it because
-you are bored, aka a failure
-you are a homo, aka a failure
-you do it for women, aka a man devoted to please women even if you claim otherwise, like all men, aka a failure
-you cling to your health, aka a failure living in fear of death

=>you are a pleb as soon as you lift. which is confirmed by all the beta males posting pictures of women.

Thank you for typing all that out. That was wonderful. In fact it reminded me of reading about the Christian hermits who saw flesh as the ultimate impediment to divinity, and in taking care of your body you were neglecting your soul and connection to God. They'd refuse to bath and not take medicine. Eat as little as possible and burn and whip their flesh for natural (sinful) impulses.

Anyway, I'm saving your post. I really appreciate it. Thx for laying out ur knowledge for a pleb.

>walking
Oh, look at this list of 'failures' who liked walking/hiking:
Aristotle
Augustine
Wordsworth
Goethe
Kierkegaard
Nietzsche
Heidegger
Frankl

He was saying walking and good food is all you need.

socrates you autist no

Oh geez. Am I literate?
(I also think Dostoyevsky was a walker, but I'm not sure).

underrated post

Damn what a based family.

>all of classical aesthetics and values stem from beta males
seems to me some fat user is making up excuses why he can't pick up half his own weight

>quarter plate
>bent wrists
>not even parallel
>looking sideways
0/10

>not lifting for the sheer pleasure of picking stuff up and then putting them back down
Imagine Sisyphus happy.

Literally the Greeks. You will appreciate aesthetic. Read Homer and the tragedians, read Aristophanes, read Herodotus and Thucydides, and especially read Plato and a choice of Aristotle.

After that read the Veeky Forums sticky.

>reading the Greeks
>not fucking boipucci ike them Greeks used to do

>not lezzing out with Sappho

keke'd at the pic.

t. someone who hasn't read Symposium

Where should I start with Herodotus?