Plays

Any love for plays?
Honestly my favourite genre. Let's have a thread for it.
Share your favourites/essentials:

>The Good Person of Szechwan
>The robbers
>everything Shakespeare
>Antigone
>The Physicists
Just to name a few

>genre
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Do you go to theaters? I went yesterday, saw an awesome one-act piece, very similar to Ionesco. Sadly it was the director's graduation project, so there will be few performances.

>>The robbers
You really do like that one? It felt like generic 19th century entertainment to me.

I want to but I wouldn't have anyone to go with.

Go by yourself

Hmm yeah I don't really have an issue with that.
I just never went to a theater before and would look like the most gruesome pleb

>would look like the most gruesome pleb
Buy the ticket online or at the theater's ticket booth. Go to the theater at appropriate time. Show your ticket to the porter at the entrance. If you wish, leave your coat and baggage at the checkroom (recommended, because there's usually little air circulation in the halls). If you wish, buy/take the programme with the list of the actors and essays and comments about the play that you're about to see. When the door opens, enter the hall and sit on the seat designated on your ticket. If you're unsure which one it is, ask the porter for help. Some halls have somewhat confusing numbering systems, so there's no shame in asking. When you're seated, turn off or silence your phone. Try not to make unnecessary noises during the performance. When the play is over, clap to show how much you enjoyed the play - if you really liked it, clap loudly; if you really hated it, you don't have to clap at all and may throw tomatoes and eggs at the performers. When the clapping is over, you may leave the hall, take your items from the checkroom and go home.
It's not nuclear physics, right?
Seriously, now, in your whole life you never went to a theater?

school doesn't count as going to the theatre

I have no issue with the act of going but Idk, I'm not really an acting critic or would know how to evaluate the performance

>Seriously, now, in your whole life you never went to a theater?
Is that unusual? I read a lot of plays and I feel like I'm missing an aspect to it if I don't see it as a play but it's kind of a big step

Of course it does.

>I'm not really an acting critic or would know how to evaluate the performance
Did you know how to evaluate literature when you started reading? Are you a literary critic? Of course you're not, but that's not a problem. Just go and experience it. You will soon (if not immediately) be able to discern the bad from the good performances. In movies the acting craft is somewhat "hidden" so you might not be used to analysing it, but in theater it's in the centre of attention.

>it's kind of a big step
Psychologically, yeah, maybe. But there's no real rational reason to fear it. You admit that you're missing out, so what are you going to do?

I'm trying to write one but I can't be assed putting any effort into it.
How do I make a 30 minute play about two guys discussing real and imagined dystopias interesting for minimal effort?
I have a thesis to do and frankly I'd rather do that than split my focus.

I was never into reading plays but Greek tragedies seem right up my alley. Although I know how most of the stories end it is still quite interesting to read how those stories unfold. Currently reading Aias and Prometheus Bound.

Hardly any good plays are ever performed in my city so I mostly go to the cinemas to watch filmed versions of theater and opera.

bumperino

Could anybody recommend some Hungarian playwrights? I watched the Third Man, featuring Orson Welle's cuckoo clock speech, the other day. In a later interview he claimed to have stolen it from a Hungarian play, so it got me interested. Thanks.

>be theatre student
>senior year
>college is producing Brecht's Galileo in the fall
>be only male acting-focused student in your class
>basically have role handed to you
feels good man

>genre
Theatre is not a genre. It is a medium.

Sophocles, the Bard, and Ibsen. Aesch-man next, Moliere after. No one else competes as far as I'm concerned. I'm also a theaterpleb

I tried to take theater courses in college (lit crit, playwriting), but I always withdrew because the professors were all nuts and I didn't want to have discussions with the subhumans in my cohort. My school had a "good" theater department too.

Just ape a Socratic dialogue

I live in a major US city and we hardly get any good productions either. I don't want to spend $100 to see some shitty touring musical, so I usually just see if student troupes are putting on anything even remotely interesting for cheap.

The Physicists is one of my favorite books. Do you read much Dürrenmatt?

OP here. Not a big Moliere fan but as I said I only read plays so far and never saw one.

Only read physicists and the judge and his hangman thus far. If you have some Dürrenmatt to recommend I'm all ears. Play or not.

>tfw poorfag
>tfw my only experience with plays for the foreseeable future is reading them, watching film adapations, or watching shitty illegal rips on YouTube

>muh Shakespeare

Havent read that one. Die Panne (A Dangerous Game) was great as well. I also read The Visit but my German was rusty and I was in a hurry so I didnt enjoy it as much.

>I didn't want to have discussions with the subhumans in my cohort.

Are you an insufferable pseudo-intellectual by any chance?

As long as the two characters are doing something to each other every time they speak, it will be interesting (though not necessarily watchable). Drama is action.