Holy Shit

I have been blind for so long, now I truly understand. This was amazing. Where do I go from here? Jung?

>Where do I go from here?

suicide

Hey! I read this recently. Thought about making a post for discussion, but figured Veeky Forums wouldn't.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading it and felt like I learned something. Opened a lot more questions too though.

I enjoyed it too.
It also helped me see that I could eat much less. Lost 30 pounds.

I haven't read much about logotherapy but this book, but you might want to do a search for scholarly articles or read more from Frankl. The footnotes in the book might help you find something interesting.

is this actually good? heard about it but never read it

One of the most impactful books I've read, short read too
Jung is a good choice but a bit hard too get into, Dostoevsky's literature is another good choice. Also check out Peterson's lectures he covers a similar domain and he has a lecture on the book itself.

This book changed my life. Ever since I read it i've had sex with at LEAST 8 different women.

I hated this book. His whole argument is don't be a nihilist, your life has so much meaning! People who are nihilists don't live through the holocaust! Think of your family! None of which actually matter to an actual nihilist, or are at least wholly unconvincing unless you already agree with him. It's preaching to the choir, and that was painfully obvious to me even as one of the choir.

Honestly one of the most disappointing books that I've been tricked into reading by Veeky Forums. I can understand why some people would like it though if it's their first time reading something of this sort.

Could someone tell me what it's about?

If you couldn't tell from the posts here this book isn't very highly considered plus Veeky Forums is not a single person.

Why isn't it very highly regarded here?
I didn't think the prose was that great, but the content is worth the read.

Different strokes to different folks, not everyone likes the same things, also
>lit
>reading

The "different" anons actually haven't read the book, they were paid by an advertising agency to shill this book which they can only make generic observations about.

>muh six gorillion

The books pretty old and already popular, I don't think anybody's being paid to shill it.

This is why I hate this fucking website
People here are always so Ironic, I can't tell if I should take their shitty opinion seriously or not
Fuck you

I feel ya
I thought we could have a real discussion, but people just want to post their memes and shitty jokes

The newer generation barely knows who Hellen Keller is, so yes, it's going to be shilled.

HA

what are you even talking about

so is this one of those books that idiots rave about being life changing like the alchemist or is it actually worth reading?

At it's core its a book about a guy living through the holocaust trying to retain the will to live despite the absolute shit hand he's been dealt. I cried at one point when he comes home finally and expects to see someone waiting for him and then quickly comes to the realization that he's never going to see them again.

He's a psychologist so he goes back and forth to explain how he's applied his time in a concentration camp to his methods of treating patients.

Just read it. It's not mind-blowing but it's deep and it's good and it's short enough.

Will I want to kill myself less if I read this?

Frankl's argument of being able to find solace in any scenario through the pursuit of love is intrinsically biased on his part. He had a wife and child to hold dear in his mind, regardless of whether or not they were alive or dead. Others don't have that sense of comfort to retreat to.

I read this a year or 2 ago, I really enjoyed parts of it (particularly the holocaust stuff) but didnt care for the logotherapy that much.

The excerpt from wikipedia about finding meaning in love is very very poignant to me.

It's still interesting to read because you'd think an intelligent guy like Frankl would become a nihilist after such an experience.

Yes. It's not going to cure the urge, but you'll want to stay alive for at least a bit longer.

Hell yeah

>reading propaganda with existentialist undertones
how about just starting with the greeks

His argument is to embrace suffering, so long as it is meaningful suffering. i.e. finding something worth suffering for. It doesn't have to be a person, and in fact in his case it wasn't. It was his manuscript that he had written (and was destroyed) that he wanted to develop and pass on to others.

>propaganda
Fuck you.