I'm know nothing

I want to get into philosophy, where do I start. sorry for being a newfag.

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/document/d/1y8_RRaZW5X3xwztjZ4p0XeRplqebYwpmuNNpaN_TkgM/pub
philosophia.uncg.edu/media/phi301-metivier/Heidegger-BeingTowardDeath.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

the Greeks

Start with the Germans

what philosophical questions interest you most?

docs.google.com/document/d/1y8_RRaZW5X3xwztjZ4p0XeRplqebYwpmuNNpaN_TkgM/pub

Nietzsche beyond good and evil
Descartes meditations
Platos dialogues

>Nietzsche beyond good and evil
Definitely don't start with this.

Id say to start with the greeks.

Iliad & Odyssey
Heraclitus (or any pre-Socratic you dig)
Plato (Symposium & Republic)
Aristotle (Ethics & Politics)

Then you have started with the greeks

this

Homer, if she really existed, wasn't a philosopher.

Stop while you still can. Philosophy is a complete and utter waste of time. It it all just pretentious people playing around with semantics until they arrive at the conclusion they want to. Nothing in philosophy has any practical application in the real world.

The only appeal of philosophy is that you can feel intellectually superior to others.

This guy knows it.

Read the Stoics, those guys actually made philosophy for living. Then Nietzsche, who also made a life-affirming philosophy. All the rest are just playing semantics / intelectual dick contests

This, we need some basic interests out of you, OP
OP, your first lesson in philosophy is that people like this are called "pseudointellectuals" and their opinions should be avoided, or at least studied with much benefit of the doubt. They use terms like "pretentious" when they lack the capability to address concepts and works head-on. They are angry that they haven't immediately understood the minimal amount of philosophy they've been exposed to.

I like this philosophy.

>Nothing in philosophy has any practical application in the real world.
It just fucking blows me away that so many people genuinely believe this

How exactly do you plan on getting an ought out of an is? Science is for the is, and philosophy is for the ought. They are both demonstrably crucial to human civilization

LITTLE BITCH

I second this.
Pick it up at some point, as it is relevant and arguably a masterpiece, but don't start with it.
I made the mistake of starting with Nietzsche when getting into philosophy.

You're off to a good start.

Nice b8, it's about context m8

This.

Start with the Greeks - Homer, Sophocles, Plato Aristotle at a bare minimum, then read The Bible. After this, pick a branch of philosophy that most interests you and advance from there.

I'm into the idea of mortality and death.

I don't mean to bait but context is relative, lad.

What specifically? What happens afterwards? How it affects our lives? What the metaphysics of death are?

Dummies Guide to Philosophy

I'll do you one better.

I love how every idea (exceptions being idealism, cogito and universe has not always existed) in this cover is stupid

study biology then

>Mind has no gender

That alone makes its unreadable even for curiosity's sake.

Kierkegaard

How it affects us, also what comes after.
And the fact that it's inevitable to humans

Agreed.
I looked at it a few months ago, when it was a featured item at Barnes n Noble and it's so vapid.
It's just for normie, pseudo intellectuals, who wanna make themselves more interesting in conversation.

Cicero has some good shit on this topic

Heidegger has the most beautiful section about mortality in Being and Time that I hope you'll one day be able to appreciate, OP
philosophia.uncg.edu/media/phi301-metivier/Heidegger-BeingTowardDeath.pdf