I know "Stuffed in the Fridge" is more of a comics thing...

I know "Stuffed in the Fridge" is more of a comics thing, but the fact that it's a story-telling trope makes me want to know what Veeky Forums thinks about it.

What do you think about female characters assaulted, injured or killed to further the story of another character? Is it a problem?

Is there a way to kill off a female character without "stuffing them in a fridge"?

>Is there a way to kill off a female character without "stuffing them in a fridge"?
no because Women in Refrigerators is barely even a trope and was almost entirely hyperbolized into one as a feminist talking point, and as such they'll happily further that narrative forever and ever.

>no

So every female character assaulted, injured, or killed is terrible, misogynistic writing?

in the minds of the people who have championed the narrative and formalized Women in Refrigerators as a trope, yes. Those people do not care for an endpoint to their accusations.

The tricky thing about the "stuffed in the fridge" trope is that you can claim any bad thing that happens to a female character is part of it. What's frustrating about it is the only thing that distinguishes something bad happening to a female character being or not being an example of "stuffed in the fridge" is how developed their character is, which if they're not the main character is always questionable. I think if it's something gruesome that happens to an undeveloped love interest that's one thing the term's useful for describing but I haven't heard of that much outside comics. But if you use it too broadly then it loses meaning and becomes shorthand for lazy character development which involves misfortune to a female character. For example a lot of kids' films I watched when I was younger would introduce the fact that the main character's mother died early on to make you sympathize with them but that's not referred to as part of the "stuffed in the fridge" trope as far as I'm aware.

It's a comic book thing, not a literary thing

go back to /co/

"tropes" are how idiots think about fiction.

The thing is that most critiques in the style of exposing "violent" tropes are dishonest. There is almost no way to write a realistic female character that somebody wouldn't object to. Make her normal, imperfect with both good and evil characteristic and it will be a "villification of women". Have bad things happen to a woman and you're now perpetuating violence against all females. Have her act like a woman and suddenly she is just a harmful, outdated stereotype.
If you want to write a female, have her be irrationally concerned with her well-being and shine some light on her strength. She should overcome most problems with ease, her only hard conflict should be internal - she doubts her abilities, doesn't know how to feel or what she wants for herself.

When did using "tropes" become such a bad thing? In classical poetry and rhetoric, the use of tropes was considered an essential part of the art. Nowadays it seems the idea of a "trope" has become more or less synonymous with "cliche" and carries negative implications.

>Comic books can't be literature

Only if Moore, Eisner or R. Crumb writes them

>not 'only Araki'
You fucked it

women in refridgerators was an essay more about the structure of the comic book industry and how it facilitated certain narcissistic school boy attitutdes towards women with a "dead girl of the week" syndrome where the only thing these guys could think of to motivate a serialised character every week was to kill someones girlfriend, or conversely the only thing that spurs female characters is being victims. it broke the door open on the comic industry but nobody was actually there since webcomics stole all the new talent while publishers were busying sucking themselves off.

its an inherently industry specific subject where

It's a narrative trope, doesn't matter if it's in a comic, book, movie or play.

It's a different medium, so it's comparing apples and oranges.

Alan Moore and Crumb are somewhat overrated in that their output contains a lot of mediocre and boring work. Eisner is pretty good though.

Books did it first. Yes, with a literal fridge.
>Dreaming of Babylon
It's not a gf though because his gf is immune to that sort of thing, not being entirely real. It's about seventeen years before the comic.

You literally picked wrong three times in a row

Pattern-matching is for stinky techy nerds, being a real intellectual is all about finding ways to bridge the most disparate concepts you can

What the fuck?

>bridge the most disparate concepts you can
No lie, truest shit I've ever seen on lit

You just got on today?

>a genre that is literally for schoolboys facilitates certain narcissistic school boy attitudes towards women
Shocker.

Wow, how can I starwman my opponent as much as possible?

Webcomics did not steal any talent from the comic industry, but the shit pay, insane hours snd shrinking market for comic books got artists to choose commercial illustration, graphic design and concept art instead.

>genre

capeshit?

Or do yo consider comic books a genre?

my nigga

>Reads Watchmen once