I want to read about body cultism...

I want to read about body cultism. Rec me something on the history or philosophy behind the contemporary addiction to the body.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=A35Qq7VPz0g
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

its a response to loss of autonomy in the average worker drone life, this one thing they can control in their lives

Sun and Steel by Mishima

I already love Mishima. But I was thinking of something more academic perhaps.

>many people want to be healthy, look nice and work for it
>OMG MUH ADDICTION TO BODY MUH MINDLESS PROLES
You can smell the stench of rotting mold in between the fat flaps a mile away from this thread.

Starting Strength,
Arnold: The education of a bodybuilder
Sun and Steel

I didn't even make any sort of judgement of value about it, I'm just doing research. Why are you being so aggressive all of sudden?

Tenzo Kyōkun - Dogen
Flow -Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi
Zen in the Art of Archery -Eugen Herrigel

Craig, Maxine Leeds. 2006. Race, beauty, and the tangled knot of a guilty pleasure.

>An intervention in feminist critiques of beauty culture that highlights beauty as a contested symbolic resource with multiple standards, discourses, and practices refracted through and taken up by individuals in different race, class, gender, and sexual positions. Highlights the competing pleasures and penalties produced by individuals’ engagements with beauty.

Edmonds, Alexander. 2008. Beauty and health: Anthropological perspectives. Medische Antropologie 20.1: 151–162.

>A critical overview of anthropological approaches to studying beauty, including cultural relativist, feminist, and sociobiological perspectives. Reviews recent ethnographic research on the intersection of beauty and health, and the relationship among beauty, globalization, and markets. Advocates a theoretical framework that considers beauty as its own domain of social experience.

Peiss, Kathy. 2001. On beauty . . . and the history of business. In Beauty and business: Commerce, gender, and culture in modern America. Edited by Philip Scranton, 7–22. New York: Routledge.

>A historical overview of the relationship between beauty and business, including the beauty sector of the economy, aestheticization as a business strategy, and beauty as a value added to the sale of other goods. Highlights local beauty businesses as sites of mediation between national and global trends and local practices.

Reischer, Erica, and Kathryn S. Koo. 2004. The body beautiful: Symbolism and agency in the social world. Annual Review of Anthropology 33:297–317.
DOI: 10.1146/annurev.anthro.33.070203.143754

>An overview of feminist and anthropological research on women’s bodies, particularly the idea of “the body beautiful,” that demonstrates how the body is not biologically predetermined, but rather functions as both a site for and agent of symbolic cultural production.

Thanks. I'll check it out.

Butler, Judith. Bodies That Matter: On The Discursive Limits of “Sex.” New York: Routledge, 1993.

>Very influential in the social sciences and arts and humanities, Butler’s work on performativity has provided theoretical and conceptual tools to disrupt bodies as simply being biological objects. This work understands bodies as sociocultural constructs, only given meaning through language and discourse.

Grosz, Elizabeth. “Bodies-Cities.” In Sexuality and Space. Proceedings of a Symposium Held at Princeton University School of Architecture, 10–11 March, 1990. Edited by Beatriz Colomina, 241–253. New York: Princeton Architectural, 1992.

>Grosz’s work has been influential for feminist geographers (and others) grappling with ways to disrupt the fixed understandings of bodies. This chapter in particular is useful in thinking through the ways bodies are only socially comprehensible when they are brought into being through discursive power relations.

Longhurst, Robyn. Bodies: Exploring Fluid Boundaries. London: Routledge, 2001.

>A key text for thinking about the materiality of bodies, and useful for thinking through the ways that material and visceral bodies are not independent of culture, and are understood through power relations and discourses. Throughout Longhurst calls for more attention to biological bodies

Orbach, Susie. Bodies. London: Profile Books, 2009.

>Partly written from a psychoanalytical perspective, this book explores the ways contemporary societies think about bodies as sites of improvement—among other things—to stabilize fixed ideas of a singular natural body.

Probyn, Elspeth. Blush: Faces of Shame. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press, 2005.

A useful book for thinking through the body’s visceral and physiological reactions to social life—how bodies feel and react to shame. Useful in bringing together ideas of discourse, material embodiment, physiology, and place when thinking about bodies
Shilling, Chris. The Body and Social Theory. London: SAGE, 1996.

>This book traces shifting debates around bodies in sociology. It does so to highlight the best ways to think about bodies in collaboration with self-identity and death. It situates these ideas in time of “late” or “high” modernity.

Young, Iris Marion. Justice and the Politics of Difference. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press, 1990.

>Chapter 5 in this book explores bodies that are thought to be “ugly” in society. It uses Kristeva’s theories of the “abject” to understand how ideas of “ugly” and “beautiful” bodies are inherently political when framed by thinking about injustice—particularly in the cases of homophobia, sexism, ageism, ableism, and racism.

I'm just trying to collect some (you)s. Stop being a faggot.

Damn, this is all absolute trash. How much of a faggot do you have to be to write shit like this? I bet you all those authors are just jealous, insecure, flabby fuckers who want to shame people with nice bodies under the pretense of 'muh discursive power relations' and 'muh identity politics'. 'beauty is inherently political', give me a break.

I was merely providing for OP

who /fitlit/

i can almost guarantee i live better than you going your tone alone.

Yeah I understand that, but I think that if OP truly wants to understand 'body cultism' he should read works by actual body builders, like Yukio Mishima and Arnold Schwarzenegger. I just don't think women/flabby intellectuals can ever understand 'body cultism'.

>feminist geographers
how do people come up with this shit

I can almost see the shiny beads of sweat rapidly making their way across the nasty oily skin of a pimpled face contorted in a grimace of bewilderment and anger. Running all the way down to the magnificent rolls of fat on an unevenly shaved triple chin as you frantically try to compose your thoughts well enough to blurt out this comment before the blood sugar level drops too low and the decade long game of willfully neglecting your diabetes comes to an abrupt end.

no thats not living well, thank you for proving my point
>b-but i was only being ironic
irony is a defence mechanism when faced with ones own inadequacy in debate

cringed at this tryhard

>I didn't even make any sort of judgement of value about it
>"philosophy behind the contemporary addiction to the body."

Give me one example where the word "addiction" has a positive connotation.

Buddy there has been a demonstrable shift wrt this issue within the past decade. Stop being defensive. We can deadlift AND also ask questions. Now fuck off back to the misc

What is wrong with you?

he's just a peterson poster

>gymrats lift for health

ayy

Not quite what you're looking for but I enjoyed Lift by Daniel Kunitz, though the guy is a total crossfit apostle.

Is this good or just a meme?

youtube.com/watch?v=A35Qq7VPz0g
all you need to know my friend (not actually)

but seriously, it's mainly narcissistic individuals fueling the cultism aspect, history and philosophy and more 'academic' canon aren't so relevant, there isn't much behind it beyond the base concept "aesthetic" and narcissism, all wrapped up in a circlejerk