Drugs and lit

Does anyone else use psychedelics to enhance their writing skills? I've written all my published poems whilst on acid and the difference in quality between that and my sober writing is staggering.

i snort peyote before writing my homework

I think you could have three quarters of your brain removed and still successfully publish modern poetry. So what?

I think the post above me is splendidly right. So what?

I just microdosed 22.5ug and am about to write an essay for my American lit unit at uni.

microdosing gives me a nice combination of concentration and creativity. The only problem is I sometimes dose too much and have to struggle through the day half tripping.

All the artists and musicians who used psychedelics during their life ended up looking irreversibly retarded. Does this kind of drug destroy your brain?

Examples?
Most artists are ugly to start with.

When I'm sober, the words come slowly, and end up having to write and rewrite because I don't like the sound of it, it doesn't flow well, it seems forces (in short, the execution is shit).

Then, I came home from a club one night, I think I drank a bottle to myself, not something I do regularly (it was my birthday). I guess I sat down at my desk, and types away. I smoked a pack of cigarettes judging by the ashtray, and drank a half a bottle of whiskey.

I have no recollection of this. At all. As it turns out, I wrote some 15k words for the novel, and it was amazing (obviosuly, I had to correct spelling but that's about it).

Since then, I've tried this on two more occasions with the same result. I'm nearing a completed rough draft that probably won't need much editing.

All the Beatles. John Lennon before death was a fucking brainlet who couldn't piece together a decent idea or a good album; Paul at the moment is nothing more than a caricature of himself; Harrison was great but not by chance died from brain cancer; and... uh, well, Ringo has always been retarded.

so is your only reference for artists that use LSD the Beatles or what?

Just the first name that came to my mind

truth is most artists get shittier as they age. This tends to only be exacerbated if they had enormous success when they were young.
This shouldn't surprise you.
LSD has little to do with it.
the actual abuse is just a side-effect of the success but the drugs themselves have their own benefits, and might even account for some of the initial genius.

Psychedelics does not enhance anything. All it does is level the playing field. Anyone who claims to be an artist or try to partake in "art" but have never psychedelics is a shitter. The only exception is if are batshit insane to begin with.

It's like being a psychologist and never taken any drugs.

McKenna might be nuts, but he's a genius. If you check out the works he wrote, he was influenced by, and he influenced, you'll see drugs can be great for creativity. Although, while I think psychedelics can enhance certain genres, I also think they take much away from others

out of curiosity what genres do you think it detracts from?
Domestic dramas?

I do my best writing on cannabis. It seems to vastly open imagination of narratives. Everything seems much more purposive and intentional. It feels like inspiration - The subconscious is more active but still opaque. The only real psychedelic I've ever done is ergine. Terrible shit but it definitely left me with some weird images. I remember some kind of psychical physician being there occasionally when I closed my eyes under the covers.

Well give us some more. Some might argue that the Beatles were shit to begin with.

Anything considered with atheistic or maybe even nihilistic thoughts is greatly hindered. Things focusing on sexual love rather than sacrificial, on safe aesthetics, in xenophobic spheres, etc. There's a reason that these drugs are so closely linked to religion and mysticism. Anything that detracts from that is bad on psychedelics.

Like me.

I microdose just to do housework, very productive but not as creative as a full dose.

I have a brother who literally was making fun of modern poetry one day with me, then said, "I bet i could write a poem in a minute and get it published!"

I told him, yeah, seriously, right now, go write one.

And he did! He got it published too! I forget what is said, it was about a field with bees and shit, and it ended with the word supernova, it was total shit, first place he sent it to published it.

I tried shrooms once. It's impossible to write anything of value while on it. I could barely even think to be honest, even speaking was difficult because my brain had a hard time providing me with the right words. That being said, it was fun. Would do it again.

Tried to write once on acid thought it was great, read it the day after and most of it was incoherent. I'll try again sometime with the aim of concentration on the actual writing but I doubt I'll succeed the trip is always too chaotic.

Read on acid once as well like an hour after the peak. Was surprised I could maintain the letters in the correct formation. Probably one of my favourite experiences while on the drug. It made complete sense and every line gave me a hit of euphoria. Def recommend it because its easy to read and the content of that book is perfect for the mind in a state such as that.

reminder that McKenna had a bad trip on shrooms and never did them again, while still preaching about their benefits

Understandable. A bad trip on shrooms can really really fuck you up. It doesn't compare to a bad trip on anything else.

Bad trips are beneficial, it teaches you something about yourself.
McKenna himself used the example that it's possible to say that DMT is your favorite drug and only have ever done it once.