philip roth
kafka

The Old Testament
The Golem

The Pentateuch
The Golem

Start with the rabbis?

American Pastoral by Roth

This thread is good for my neshama, thank you.

I've had a copy of the lesson sitting on my shelf for 6 or 7 years now. Still need to read it.

BTW, I'd highly recommend Philip Roth's The Counterlife to everyone in this thread. I've read a lot of Roth, but this one might be my favorite. Lots of meta sections, and it discusses Israel in a really fun way, looking at the arguments surrounding its existence from both sides.

Kavalier and Clay by Chabon was quite comfy, besides all the gay shit

Yes goy, ofc.

The Golem by Gustav Meyrink

Jewish Study Bible
The Origins of Biblical Monotheism

The (Wiley-)Blackwell Companions to:
- The Hebrew Bible
- Judaism
- Ancient Israel

The Chosen Few - How Education Shaped Jewish History, 70-1492
The Invention of the Jewish People
You Gentiles
The Diary of a Young Girl
If This Is a Man/The Truce
I And Thou
The Star of Redemption
The Dignity of Difference

Isn't Chabon for women?

Not at all. Especially Yiddish Policeman's Union.

Just a wonderful book.
The Barry Holtz edited Back to the Sources: Reading the Classic Jewish texts is invaluable.
Aleichem, Babel, Singer, Scholem (Walter Benjamin, Story of a Friendship, nyrb), and John fucking Hollander (everything) all come to mind..

Nathanael West

Which Roth book had the fake obituary that ended with "He never did anything for Israel"? I still giggle when I think about that one.

sabbath's theatre, senpai

>“Mickey was a genuinely nice person,” Mr. Cowan commented. “Never gave anybody any trouble. A bit of a loner, but always with a kind word for everyone.”

>tfw you go to your lovers grave to jerk off on it, but there is a line

What's the best Roth? I have American Pastoral and I'm thinking of moving it up in the stack.

Did I make a mistake not being the complete Nathanael West? It might still be in the shop...

All the Zuckerman books are top tier, along with Portnoy's Complaint and Sabbath's Theater.

damn...

So you wouldn't rank American Pastoral as his best?

wait nvm I guess Am. Pastoral is Zuckerman...

American Pastoral, The Human Stain, I Married A Communist, and The Counterlife are all technically Zuckerman books (from his POV but about a different character)

desu I think AP is a little overrated on Veeky Forums because of its themes

Care to elaborate? I remember Bloom praising it highly.

> New York Times critic Michiko Kakutani found [Sabbath's Theatre] hard to finish and "distasteful and disingenuous".

say no more, added to cart

Lmao women are so fucking stupid. They can't do anything right hahahaha

Roth does a greater disservice to the carefully cultivated image of American Jews in that book than in any anti-semitic tract.

nice quads but bichiko kakutani usually hates good things

Kafka, Celan, Schulz, Levinas, Adorno, Benjamin, Jabes

>Japanese critic finds a book about a dirty old man obsessed with underage girls' panties hard to finish

Celan... Oh my yes. Especially if you into German etymology at all

if you're in the mood for endless symposium-style debate between people who weren't alive in the same century, about essentially everything in the Bible, the Talmud is pretty awesome.

To see if it's for you, read The Oven of Akhnai

B over J. Sayin'.
Also, there are little mishmashes-- most of them solidly less than mediocre (there's an Everyman, for instance).

sounds like she reads for plot and characters

truly a pleb

Have a bump

Any love for Strauss? I haven't tackled him yet but I think he is one of the final bosses of political philosophy.

that book was fucking terrible. i now have a large distrust for the NY times now because of it

>nonsensicle doublespeak and semantic debates

Picked up

What was so bad?

Anne Frank

What book, The Counterlife? It's universally acclaimed, don't blame the NY Times. Also, it was published in the mid-eighties, so I doubt you read the review when it came out. Still, it's widely considered one of his best works of all time.

And now I feel like an idiot. You were looking at my other post about YPU. Yeah, that book was not very good. Fair enough.