Colleges worth going to?

It seems that a lot of academia has a bad reputation here. Or maybe we only hear from the people who want to fume about what happened at school, but never any requisite praise. Putting aside economic utility for a moment, are there any universities worth going to for the sake of learning?

only if your doing STEM

>universities worth going to for the sake of learning
No.
Unless you require facilities and tech for certain STEM fields then there is no reason to go to university for the sake of learning, ever. You go for qualifications and building connections. At most unis provide learning guidelines, if you really want to know a field you'll need to do 90% of your study outside of required work.

Let me put my question differently: I'm in the military and have the G.I. Bill to look forward to once I get out. This means that I can get paid to go to most any undergraduate or graduate school for 36 months (9 months of classes in a standard academic year x 4 years). Would I be stupid not to expend my benefit, or are there better things I could be doing with my time assuming I don't opt for a career that I need a piece of paper for.

They have very good libraries and thousands of qt girls.

Look into careers first.

If you want to chase money (business, STEM, etc.) you're gonna need the associated degree.

If you want something Veeky Forumserary (writing for a periodical, being a librarian, teaching high school), you'll need an undergrad degree in the associated field to even have a chance, and a master's to stand out.

If you decide you have no interest at all in any field which requires a degree, then it's still worth taking a few free classes at a university just to learn something that interests you. Just don't put off working, because you'll need the extra four years of earning potential & saving for retirement (start doing that now, if you haven't already) in order to keep your finances above water.

>bad reputation here
Kek. Pop into 'your current state in life' thread and see who the people discussing higher education here are. Universities are what you take from them - if you spend your days partying or attending endless activist meetings then it's pointless, if you seize the opportunities and engage with professors and other motivated students and properly use the educational resources then it's worth. Being an autodidact is certainly a possibility, but it requires inhuman dedication and a hardworking student will almost inevitably come out on top anyways. Most fags memeing about it here like are NEETs/retail workers who delude themselves into thinking that playing vidya for 3 hours and then spending 30 minutes watching online lectures is actual autodidacticism.

lmao

Only if by learning you mean job qualifications. Real learning is what books are for.

Only go to college for learning for learning's sake if you are from a rich background.

Lmao no they are fucking not. You sound like a neet who thinks playing vidya and reading a book or two is learning. You will never understand any fucking book without being in academia.

>You will never understand any fucking book without being in academia.

I just want you to take a second and step back, then objectively analyze that claim, then realize all the historical evidence that nips it in the bud.

Its always amusing to me when NEETs on here sperg about how universities are a liberal shitholes for wymen and minorities to learn (sorry, get indoctrinated) about marxist theory or something. You can always tell they either haven't been to university at all or they went, were faced with the fact that their slightly above averege intelect wont allow them to pass without any work and that everyone still ignores them like in high school, and dropped out. Dont listen to these autists OP.

If you choose a good uni and the right subject to study then it can be an amazing experience. First few semesters can be a bit boring with many introducory courses, and many retards that haven't been filtered out yet. But then the classes get more and more interesting and you begin to see how much knowledge you've gained already. Most professors have spent their lives mastering their field, and they can share their experiences or give you advice that you wont get from any book. You're also usually surrounded by people who share at least a few of your interests so it's a good place for new conections and friendships. For me personally it also just feels good to be a part of a system that has been used throughout history to spread and create knowledge. Anyway go to uni OP, just choose your subject wisely and you won't regret it.

It's not as bad as you think. I studied in 3 different universities in 3 different European countries.

Yes, all the universities had a vocal but small minority of feminists and other SJW activists. But you have to remember that these universities have, on average, tens of thousands of students.

I can't talk about the American situation though.

It depends on a mix of what degree you're getting, what university you're going to, and how much you're paying.

A free bachelor's degree from a no name school is still better in the long run than not having a degree at all. But if you're getting into 70K debt, then not so much. Some degrees like business, medicine, and law are heavily dependent on what university you go to, so you should generally not get into a lot of debt unless you're going to a great school. Not all STEM degrees are necessarily better, stuff like biology and chemistry are worse than many liberal arts; and if you study math you need to make sure you do it carefully, otherwise you'll be making 50K a year teaching instead of 200K a year analyzing financial markets. If you can get it paid for, then go ahead and do what you're passionate about. But if you're going to get into more than 30K of debt, you should really have a career planned out. It's an awful feeling to graduate, and realize you can't get a job. Stuff like engineering and accounting will get you a job, and thus make getting into debt worth it. But if you're studying something like Humanities or Political Science, you shouldn't get into more than 30K debt.

>biology and chemistry are worse than many liberal arts
Nat sciences are liberal arts. Chemistry is an excellent degree.
>basing all your educational pursuits entirely on financial aspects and prospects
Your working class mentality is showing.

They are so soulless though.
It is depressing.

t. STEM fag

>t. engineer

In terms of education you rarely learn more by paying more. Unless it's something really obvious like International Relations at Georgetown, it's better to go to a cheaper college or self-study with a lot of subjects. It's fine to study something because you like it, rather than because it gets you money. But it's childish and flat out irresponsible to not manage your personal finances, and plan out your career, and choose to go off and study something useless - getting 200K in debt in the process.

And chemistry is an okay degree. But it doesn't signify social skills like a liberal arts/social science degree might. And if you don't go to graduate school, you're spending the rest of your life as a lab-jockey, making an average salary. Chemical Engineering, however, has great career opportunities.

Most accountants I know are suicidal

>education is paid everywhere
>scholarships do not exist
>social sciences are worth a damn on the job market
>still doesn't understand that liberal arts isn't a synonym for humanities
top yourself, my man

Veeky Forums just hates university because its users are either to stupid to succeed, too autistic to enjoy themselves, or they rack up student debt. College is the best four years of a normal person's life and most higher level jobs require a degree of some sort. Since it's payed for, go somewhere badass and have fun. I just graduated from Texas A&M with zero debt. It's a great choice if you're in the US.

t. STEM fag with an actual job

>College is the best four years of a normal person's life
That's one sad life you have.

>Asking about college then university
Well which is it ?

>zero responsibility besides grades
>every summer off
>live in a city filled with other college kids
That's one sad experience you had for it not to be the best four years of your life

College is nice, but to call it the best time really speaks volumes about your life. Though, not surprising considering that you think keeping the grades up is not particularly hard (ie a shitty engineering degree) and spent your summers fucking around instead of interning (ie ended up in a mediocre run-of-the-mill position). Enjoy the rest of it, I guess.

Are you trying to be some sort of Veeky Forums Sherlock Holmes? The main problem is that every one of your guesses was wrong.

All that matters is that OP should use his GI bill to go to a good school and enjoy himself while getting a worthwhile degree.