Who are some essentially covert gnostic authors?

who are some essentially covert gnostic authors?

Cormac McCarthy. Blood meridian is a gnostic tragedy.

I am surprised how A guy as atheist as borges can know so much about religions and gods

Can someone define Gnostic for me? Especially in regards to literature?

Can someone define Christian for me? Especially in regards to literature?

>atheists are just people who are ignorant of god
You breathe ideology

I didn't say that, dude

You did exactly say that.

no, I didn't

Borges wasn't an atheist, he was agnostic. Also, how is that surprising?

he wasn't agnostic, he was atheist
pic related

>I am surprised how an atheist can know so much about religions and gods
Literally what you said, you flaming imbecile. Choke on a dick and die.

>you'll never be as intelligent as borges

honestly reading labyrinths is making me full fucking dumb. i bounced off of eco's foucaults pendulum prior to reading labyrinths because i was clueless about all the kaballah stuff. and then i read some borges and he's exploring fucking EVERYTHING from ancient mythology to jewish mysticism. it's a sobering experience knowing i'll never have that mastery over literature.

I said "so much"...
He studied a lot of mythology but he was the kind of person that says "you die and nothing more happens", even when in his stories talked about libraries.
Take it easy, man. Talking with you in real life seems like it can be fun.

fuck off retard, I hope next time you try to ignore your own mistake when someone points it out it's terminal bowel cancer

but did you understand that I didn't say what you think that I said?
do you? see the post again. Check it, friend

>how A guy as atheist as borges can know so much about religions and gods
Directly implies that being an atheist prevents one from obtaining knowledge about religion/god beyond certain amount. I.e. atheists are just ignorant of god. Stop being in denial, retard.

I said so much, can you see it?

Are you baiting or do you really have double digit IQ? I literally put out in front of you what your statement """""with so much"""" means. Don't reproduce, please.

You are being very stupid and you're completely missing why you're being such an idiot. You need to step back from the computer and go think or something. It happens to all of us sometimes. Go read Leibniz or Spinoza or something

It surprised me how an atheist had that much interest getting all that in religions as him.

Strange, don't you think?

no, I don't think that is strange. I am an also an atheist and I too am interested in theology and theodicy. The problems about existence, earth, and the universe that these subjects raise do not disappear when the concept of god is removed.

he's a pleb who won't admit his mistakes and frail thinking

just ignore him and move on.

I always saw religions as "fake" philosophy, even when it is very related. It is hard to disassociate it and read it as fantasies or just like mythology. Well, at least christianity.

Well, if you want to ignore me, at least reply to OP, dude. Stop being a crying faggot.

>can't comprehend allegories accessible to children
Not surprised in your case.

It seems more than a way to think (and the right and only, but that is another thing) as some allegory.
So, that is why I see it strange to some guy atheist guy knows so much about that.

"no"

not until you stop having idiotic childish opinions, and become capable of fucking googling easy questions yourself.

you sound low iq.

do you study in the humanities or lower?

They aren't childish... Idiotic? Maybe, I don't know. I don't think so.
It is strange for me, I never said it was wrong.
You look more childish than me, you know?

The only one that made me look like an idiot was

best thread on Veeky Forums right now

engineering, only two more years! Wiii!

I'm sorry that whoever that was launched into you just wanted you to know it wasn't me

>engineer
>brainlet
like pottery
t. natsci

don't worry, it is ok.
I am bored at work (but answer are real!)

I agree with you. Engineers aren't the smarter people. Everybody can make a 2+2 if they study.
But hey, I see that people who answer me aren't too clever either.

Gnosticism is a loose web of beliefs centering around the notion of salvation through spiritual knowledge. Its primary theme is the overcoming of ignorance and spiritual delusion. It's often associated with a dualism between a lower, base material reality, and a higher spiritual one towards which one moves after discovering the nature of the false reality and one's imprisonment in it. This is often supplemented with a mythology of a lower versus a higher creator – a demiurge versus a true God. The demiurge is the maker of the material world, and holds the divine spark of spiritual creatures in bondage and delusion.

David Lindsay

Herman Melville
PKD (Philip K. Dick --- before his mystical experience he was covert, after it overt)

It's not strange at all you brainlet, leave

Hesse gives me that vibe
I hope more people give their input

>labyrinths

what book is this family?

I mean: whats it title in Spanish?

It's almost like you could Google it in 15 minutes between those two posts. It's collection of short stories in English translation.

I tried, family. I only get results for a book written about Borges

>It includes "Tlön, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius", "The Garden of Forking Paths", and "The Library of Babel", three of Borges' most famous stories. Many of the stories are from the collections Ficciones (1944) and El Aleph (1949).

Those three are from Ficciones, not sure what El Aleph has to do with it.

ok, thanks family.

All great writers were gnostic masters imo

like agnostic without the a

also demiurge cause can't accept suffering is expected

he was a virgin too doe

He needed the Mana

Quite a lot =/= average amount
Average amount =/= very little (ignorance)
Jesus Christ, user, the way you argue, are you trying to compensate for a lack of something you desperately crave in your life? This is an anonymous site. Relax, goddamn.

go back to r*ddit, kill yourself, etc.

>he fairly calls you out on your hilarious levels of angst
>you actually reddit meme in response

are you even old enough to be here

Ignorant doesn't mean "very little", it is used to describe any degree of lacking knowledge, you illiterate nigger. Read the dictionary instead of making plebbitard shit posts.

"Being an agnostic means all things are possible, even God, even the Holy Trinity. This world is so strange that anything may happen, or may not happen. Being an agnostic makes me live in a larger, a more fantastic kind of world, almost uncanny. It makes me more tolerant."
he was
quote related

So I think it's safe to assume that Borges wasn't totally omniscient in ideology, theology, or mythology. You agree?

So let's that if he contains even 70% of all that knowledge (which I think we can all agree that's fairly impossible), there's a certain chunk of (you guessed it!) 30 PERCENT of that knowledge which he lacks.

So by your own reasoning, we can come to this one conclusion together (and say it with me, won't you!):

Borges, in regards to ideology/theology/mythology, is....dare I say it... ignorant?

Nah mang, I'd rather listen to the dictionary on audiobook while I drive to work, it helps put me to sleep.

He had a weird perspective on agnosticism, then, my man.

Agnostic means to "not know".
Gno = know (e. Gnosticism is "knowing")
A- is the inverse of that. The popular, though canonical, definition of agnosticism is "the belief that the existence of God is unknown or unknowable.

In what way is his perspective weird? It doesn't contradict what you're saying at all.

Yes it is technically completely correct to characterize people not fully proficient in a any field of knowledge as ignorant. Now leave and take your underage ebin meme-phrases and 9gag tier reaction pictures with you. This site is 18+.

Okay, you have a point. Yet agnosticism seems, to me at least, more a specific and finite term than what Borges would liked to have conformed to. I think any sincere person truly open to anything couldn't prescribe to any label like that.

Now, Borges may have been a literary genius, talented, and knowledgeable in general, whereas I am a lonely alcoholic, basement dwelling, unpublished college-dropout...but I just Borges was wrong in prescribing to the label.

Wait, I don't see where you refuted me. I also don't see why you're so mad.

Also, you never told me what you're compensating for. I'm on the edge of my seat, here, friendo.

Going to recommend 'Notes from the Underground.' It's short, but sadly no pictures.

>9gag tier reaction pictures
What the hell does that even mean?

Are Veeky Forums reactions all supposed to be blood, dicks, and poop?

Agnosticism is the least specific of all labels, it is exactly the one label of unlimited and infinite options, the only label Borges could ever use to express his worldview. It wouldn't make sense for Borges to be Atheist, as it would render a lot of his writing hypocritical.

Another fair point. I'll resign here.

>agnostic
>also gnostic
Why is this allowed?

>Evident implications are not true because I didn't say them explicitly
Surest mark of a /redditor/

calm it leo

>ctrl F
>Kafka
> no results

Get it together family

Kafka was agnostic too, but he clung to his Jewish traditions.

>that comic
This idea of Kafka as a timid, neurotic, weak and anxious man pisses me off. He had fits of depression, he had a strained relationship with his father, yes, but people also remembered his as a funny, charming person in many social contexts, he womanized, he was even obsessed with exercise, such as hiking, swimming, rowing, etc.

I think that idea is a result mostly of his writing. That's pretty much how we imagine Joseph K

I think you missed the point. That machine he's drawing in the torture device in In the Penal Colony. I think the point in the cartoon is to suggest anyone would be embarrassed if someone caught them design a torture machine.