Has Veeky Forums ever eaten dog meat (boshintang in Korea for example)?

Has Veeky Forums ever eaten dog meat (boshintang in Korea for example)?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog_meat#Pet_breeds
healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2012/07/27/dogs-submissive-behavior.aspx
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Going to Vietnam in early 2018, told my fiance the first place we are stopping is a dog vendor.

I have a spicy stew in Bangkok that had dog in it.
Hard to taste the meat over the spice but it tasted like greesy beef.

I tried it once.

When I was 23 my neighbor asked If I could put down his elderly dog.

I put it down then cut some meat off out of curiosity before I buried it.

Didn't taste bad, But didn't taste good either. Not my favorite meat at all....Probably would not pay money for it.

They have special breed made for eating.

never but wouldnt mind trying it if i was offered it. not to sound like a hippie but i always wanted to get a dog they sell and keep it as a pet. think they're cute least nureongi's are remind me of a shiba's slightly ugly cousin. lmao would be cool would probably be like buying livestock to koreans essentially

What the fuck that's the cutest thing I've ever seen in my life

I had "turkey" in Busan once. it was stringy, tasted sort of like beef. Pretty sure it was dog. Still tasted good, it was also really cheap. That Hite beer was fucking aweful though.

Yes, had it in the Philippines fire grilled and served with a very strongly flavoured liver pate, kind of like a Rossini on overdrive. I have to say I found it very tasty and would have no hesitation in eating it again.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog_meat#Pet_breeds
also a dog is never going to be truly bred for eating. it's always going to be a resource intensive predator

Yeah had some at a market in Korea, quite sour by itself.

not on porpoise, but i suspect my local gookshop uses dog in theyr'e "pork" and seasoned vegetables, I can't prove it though.

i'd probably try it but i'd be afraid of disease, even when cooked. i also don't like that they cook dogs alive. i like dogs.

at least for vietnam i can say, with actual knowledge about it, that dogs arent bread for consumption, they are literally stolen out of yards and from the streets by people who sell them for a couple of bucks, dogs are never left outside alone unsupervised in vietnam.if you really want to eat meat without any helthy regulations, which is forbidden to be sold, go for it, might as well eat racoon

They fucking wish. Pork is cheap. Dogs are not.

Dog is more expensive than virtually any other meat available in those countries, and is sold to people who specifically want to eat dog and will pay for it.

Lying about meat isn't uncommon but it'd be infinitely more likely to be goat or something less expensive.

I want to try dog, and cat meat. But realistically if the animal was slaughtered kindly.

Horse is delish. I don't get the stigma about eating horse meat.

There is a distinction to be made here. Sure, there are some special places which cook dog specifically and advertise it as such. It's espensive becuase it's a niche market, and it's often pruported to have "medicinal" effects. Some of those "medicinal" dishes are cooked with expensive herbs.

But that is a totally different thing compared to a shady restaurant who slaughtered a stray dog in the street and passed off the meat as something else.

Those two are not mutually exclusive.

I see nothing here to deter me from my plans.
>Might as well eat raccoon
Nigga I do.

>Nigga I do.
I'm surprised a fucking raccoon eater has the capacity to use a computer. Sounds like you should be living in a fucking cave.

Country raccoon is great, you pissy city sissy.

>I don't get the stigma about eating horse meat
I don't get it either. One of the most famous and "typical" German dished was specifically invented to find a use for the tough meat of old brewery draft horses - Rhineland Sour Roast, where the meat is marinated and softened up in vinegar marinade for five to seven days, sometimes even longer.

people used to have horses as long time companions before cars. no one wants to eat your friends family. the stigma stuck around. i think it's for the best, horses helped us tame the earth not eating them is the least we can do.

>not eating them is the least we can do.

That doesn't make any sense. Why not painlessly kill a horse and eat it after it gets too old to work rather than letting it die of old age and rot? Death by "natural causes" for animals like horses is usually long and slow (their teeth get worn down so they can't eat anymore, then they starve).

Had it by accident when I was stationed in Okinawa.
Threw up when I realised what it was.

>Why not painlessly kill a horse and eat it after it gets too old to work
that's not how it'll go down once horse becomes a regular part of your diet. and like i said the real reason is sentimental not logical. as it is with any animal we don't eat.

Nah, but I've eaten camel meat before and it was delicious.

>that's not how it'll go down once horse becomes a regular part of your diet.
It doensn't need to be a "regular part of my diet". What's wrong with enjoying it when it is available, and not sweating it while it's not? I like a lot of variety in my diet, I don't want to eat the same thing consistently. Eat horse when you've got a horse that needs eating. Eat something else when you don't.

i meant when there's a market for it, not when you start eating it. the original question was about the stigma. once the stigma goes away and provided horse meat tastes good it'll be raised and slaughtered just like any other animal. you're free to butcher and eat your own horse but it won't become easily available till there's a demand

camel toe doesn't count

healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2012/07/27/dogs-submissive-behavior.aspx

Wasn't it common to eat horse meat back in the day though? Maybe not day to day common, but nothing you would shy away from when you needed to put down your horse?

Why? You can get dirt cheap, good quality meat based dishes anywhere and everywhere in Vietnam

They look so friendly and like a good house dog.

The relationship between humans and dogs is one of the most primal aspects of our being, right next to mobs and fight-or-flight.

Dogs chose us. Unlike cats, horses, or other domestic animals, they became a part of our lives by their own volition. They didn’t do it because of some cosmic wanderlust to serve man, but because we kept some nice and tasty scrap piles at the edge of our camp. So they became comfortable with our campfires and voices, and over the centuries have cohabitated with man in a pact of mutual benefit and success. Dogs, like man, are predators that live in groups and hunt by daylight. Their skills in running down prey far exceed our own. When the spoils were shared, pups raised with humans, and generations of selective breeding and adaptation were put in effect, we were gifted the company of an amazing and multi-talented animal. We now have dogs to aid people in every civilization in the world. No other domesticated species has become so useful in so many ways; nigh-infinitely adaptable and integral to our own civilization.

Dogs protect our livestock, homes, and children. They detect bombs, lead the blind, and track criminals and the stranded alike. Some tow boats to shore. Others race across fields in search of game. Some dogs flush, retrieve, or point. Others herd, gather, drive, or drove. Some dogs pull sleds, taking us where we could never go alone. Others sniff out drugs, detect heart attacks, or listen to sounds in the forest we could never hear.

And yet here we have subhuman gooks who actually eat these animals with zero remorse whatsoever, as well as sandniggers who hate them with a burning passion for being "unclean". Really makes you question what went so wrong with their civilizations that they didn't quite seem to get the message.

>Unlike cats

Cats are literally the only example of an animal fulfilling a truly symbiotic relationship with humans.

>Humans start civilizing
>Agriculture/Libraries start forming
>Grain silos and libraries are built
>Mice like scrolls/grain
>They get rid of our pest problem
>Our pest problem creates a constant supply of food for them
>They aren't dirty/make us sick

There's a reason Muslims borderline worship cats as godly animals. You don't even have to feed them your food; they'll gladly live on the externalities of trying to create it yourself.

Has Veeky Forums ever eaten dog meat

i had some special sampler in a Californian market and ate what was offered
when the meal cooled off the plate had a wet dog smell to it ... im taking it as having eaten dog honestly the meat was fine it must have been seasoned appropriately

I want to try dog, and we will be going back to Vietnam every two to three years, might even move there, so I'll have plenty of time to eat cheap versions of what I'm eating now.

>Cats don't make you sick
>What is ringworm?

>Dogs chose us.

We chose them. We artificially selected them to be adept at performing various tasks like hunting, herding, etc. Everything else you said is correct though, dogs are mankind's faithful companions, they were never bred to be livestock.

I would never eat the meat of an animal more useful to me alive than dead. Cats, dogs, horses, etc. It's not even about personal morals or tastes. Eating a dog is like eating toothpaste - yeah you can do it, but that's not what it's supposed to be used for, and if you do it you're probably a sub-human.

>I would never eat the meat of an animal more useful to me alive than dead
>if you do it you're probably a sub-human
Want to know how I know you don't have a passport?

Want know why I don't care?

I lived in Tijuana for a while. A Chinese restaurant we used to love got raided, and it turned out they were putting dog in the egg rolls. They posted a video of the raid on Facebook. Me and my dad used to comment on what the meat in the egg roll was, but honestly would never have guessed. It tasted a lot like chicken.

Because you're a xenophobic hick?

I've heard it's good. Cheapest steaks available here from halal butchers. Kangaroo was cheap when it first come into supermarkets 15 odd years ago but now it's more widely consumed it's the same price as beef.

>Not wanting to eat your pets makes you xenophobic
Liberals

No, not realizing that animals could provide more to you as nutrients as opposed to a service dog for your autism makes you ignorant of the realities of the world.
>Liberals
You're probably a closet one

literally worse than bubonic plague

>visited family in Korea when I was ten
>aunt and her kids took my siblings and me out to eat
>we had a spicy red soup with vegetables and meat in it
>the meat was rubbery, tasted like overcooked chicken
>after we finish eating, my cousin says to me "you ate bow wow"

>Long, emotional rambling about stuff that the vast majority of modern dogs never do and in many cases don't even have the capacity for
>Shrilly misunderstanding how other animals such as cats came to be domesticated, which is virtually identical to dogs except the cats preferred to eat the mice and rats that ate crops
>Because I value this animal, everyone who doesn't is subhuman
This is 100% vegan logic and strategy, except you're arguing for your personal favorite species instead of all of them. This is exactly like the white facebook activists going ballistic at that Inuit kid for killing a non-endangered whale to feed his village.
I could start posting links to the numerous cases where mans best friends have abruptly turned on their owners or random strangers and ripped children to pieces, including a recent case where a Labrador and Shnauzer suddenly attacked and killed a tiny baby in his cot, while the parents were in the room and without either dog showing any previous aggression to the baby beforehand. Or the various diseases that dogs are likely to carry, particularly in the countries where people don't like them. Or point out the issues with stray dogs running wild, and how unsurprising it is that people would try and make use of them, diseased and untrainable as they are. But I won't, because that'd just be sinking to your level except I'd be arguing as someone who hates dogs instead of blindly loving them.
[spoiler]I have owned three dogs over my life who I've loved very much, and would never eat a dog. Don't bother calling me a mudslime.[/spoiler]

dogs are nasty vermin and literally eat their own shit

wouldn't eat one myself but every dead dog is a good dog

I ate a dog taco before. I fucked with the guys making it by asking if they'd seen my dog before ordering.

What is toxoplasmosis

Classic Veeky Forums, always fucking around with guys who produce food in exchange for currency.