Baked Potato Perfection

What is the perfect temp and time for cooking a pair of russet potatoes? I got some nice ones, perfect ovals at the store and want to do them right. Often my potatoes come out a little underdone or with the skin and outermost layer of potato burned.

A simple task, perhaps, but I turn to the experts.

If you cant tell how done a potato is by sticking a fork in it, i dont know what to tell you.

I've done the fork thing and I often get underdone even though the fork slides in easily. I'm just a pleb. That's why I need tailored advice.

Wait untill the fork goes in even easier? Its very hard to over cook a potato.

microwave for lil a bit b4 oven

Sorry, forgot about the part where your potato burns. I think you are just a retard. Nobody else has this problem.
This isnt a shitpost. You really have fucking problems.

Different ovens have different hotspots even though its preheated amd claims its heated to the right temp.

If you are a shitty cook, easiest way is to boil or microwave (microwave i prefer) first to get the inside perfect then you broil it or grill it to get it crispy skin.

Cmon dude, its not a fucking med rare beef wellington.

What temp would you recommend? Maybe I'm scorching them.

And no I don't use foil. They go right on the rack.

400 fahrenheit. Size is a big factor for time though.

What are the dimensions and weight of the potatoes?

400F for one hour. If the bakers are particularly large, increase temp to 415F.

Varies from bag to bag. Luckily potatoes are easy to cook for everyone but op.

The diameter is comparable to a baseball, but oblong obviously. They feel pretty heavy. I don't have a scale.

Upon that answer, I think you are a sad twat who just wants people to speak to. If you can't bake a potato you are already a nobody.

thnx friend, very helpful

So you don't own anything to measure with?

I only have a jeweler's scale for weed, the potato is too heavy for that.

>preheat oven to 425 degrees
>poke holes in zigzag line from one end tobthe other on potato
>melt butter and slather on potato
>season outside heavily with salt and pepper
>wrap in foil
>bake in oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes
>when finished in oven, take out and let rest on counter for another 20 minutes to soften insides
>unwrap and squeeze potato from top end to bottom (vertical) and lots of cooked potato will come out from area where you made zigzag holes
>add condiments of choice and mix inside of potato, then place a bit on top of broken seam
>wala. You made a world class potato

>when finished in oven, take out and let rest on counter for another 20 minutes to soften insides
I always forget to let it rest. I will definitely do this, perhaps that will finish the interior without burning the exterior.

Thanks for the honest advice people. There are many plebs of cooking like me, we need it.

You made a soggy potato. Fuck that. I want my baked potatoes fluffy on the inside and crisp on the outside.

There's no magic to a great baked potato. It's basically this, plus poke a few holes in it using a bbq fork or skewer. Don't use a regular dinner fork, it's too many holes. When it's done, let it rest about 6-7 minutes, then make a slice down the "top", and squeeze from both ends to fluff it. After that, your choice of toppings and their order is up to you.

Not soggy at all, user. It's just a way to make a baked potato where the inside is perfect, and the skin is also desirable to eat.
Go fuck yourself and your charred skin potato fucking bullshit.

Not that user but if you wrap it in foil you are by definition steaming, not baking the potato. You're trapping the moisture which changes the composition.

Dumbass. Let me guess, you have "mouthfeel" issues.

Not really because I'm not containing the steam in a bag like structure, so it's not being cooked by steam. The butter/salt/pepper solution is being baked into the skin, and even a bit more into the potato.
This is how it is a world class bake.
Try it if you haven't sometime, and you will see.

I honestly have no idea what mouthfeel means, but it sounds like some numale meme and that's not really my thing you crispy skinned potato hipster

Lol, nice deflection for a potato retard. You're still making soggy potatoes. It's fine for yourself, but telling a stranger that it's "world class" is a fucking giggle, m8. You shouldn't push your gross habits on others.

You're wrapping the potato in fucking foil, guy. It's steaming.

>crispy skinned potato hipster
kek

We literally had this thread with the exact same fucking responses yesterday. Hey at least it's not McChicken shilling or Flyover spam.

OP here, it wasn't me. I never post here because I'm such a pleb.

Anyway I forked one of those taters and it seemed really hard in the center, the other one is ok. I feel like I've already failed. Gonna give em 10 more minutes then let them rest and see what happens. Worst case scenario I'm out like $1.20