Come listen with me Veeky Forums fam

youtu.be/FkxUY0kxH80
This is my first time listening to this interview.

>most people on this board have been circulating this interview for years
>We already did newfam

hahaha why does he make those faces

I know, he's awkward and lovable.

He had a real faggoty voice. Not sure what I expected.

i probably watched this whole interview five or six times through in my first year of college

I can't stand the interviewer though. I feel like she needs subtitles.

I've only recently gotten into DFW. I feel like I am late to the game at 29.

I thought I was too early
Is this an anti trump argument?
not that dfw is anti trump, obv.
Also no divulging any of my opinions

No, not all, didn't have Trump in mind at all. I think I am falling love with DFW though, but also feeling terrible about his sense of self-doubt, his constant ruminating and general sorry-state of self-esteem. Something about him is really endearing and human, but absolutely broken in the same breathe.

It's like he couldn't let go of he idea of 'failure'.
Even thought he was one of the most revered writers of all time, he still, still, saw himself as a "cheap celebrity" (mentioned at the end of the video).

I was talking about 'America first'/ "make ... great again" when America is already very powerful as a nation.

Not wanting to start a political argument, that's just what came to mind.
He's a gentle dude, its like he got the entire personality thing perfectly, but didn't accept it.

How do you think DFW would feel about Trump? He died just before Obama was elected.

probably disgusted with Trump and Hillary and would've killed himself based on the choices

It's painful to watch, I feel like no matter how much a therapist or a person who he loved very deeply told him that he was doing everything in life relatively right, he wouldn't have accepted it. That's where his suicide comes in, his suicide was perhaps the ultimate expression of his arrogance.

Maybe the 2008 election figured into his suicide?

I'm not a scholar on IJ, but the whole "Entertainer President," seems kinda uncanny now.
I wonder if fear of the outcome of 2008 factored into him ending it.

pretty much
If he felt that strongly on things that have only become worse since 2008 (the themes of IJ).

you guys do understand that 9/11 ruined him, right?
do you remember what the date of his suicide was?

7 years after 9/11?

yep
september 12, 2008

Elaborate for us, user. Are you basing this off of his final observation in "The View From Mrs. Thompson's"?

'whatever America the men in those planes hated so much was far more my own – mine, and F–'s (Name), and poor old loathsome Duane's – than these ladies'."

fuuuccckkk

Watching the 2003 interview, he seems pretty disturbed about the direction of American culture, as well as the American capacity for destruction. Not to sound /pol/-ish, but do you think maybe he had a red-pill moment that drove him to suicide? Realizing that bad comes in all shapes and sizes? He also mentions civic duty in this Interview, as in researching candidates. Knowing what I know now, as a 29 year old and the 2008 election being my first, McCain and Obama were both shit candidates, neither one of them brought something other than rhetoric to the table.

Fuck, I hope someone has a transcript for this interview. There is SO MUCH information in it.

>Hung himself in LA
>Living in LA
In light of this, I think I would have killed myself too.

(response to self)
just considering his own criticism of america, idk, actually I dont have energy give context.

I actually took as being apathetic rather than hate.

i'm basing it on a lot of his writing, and on my personal experience as a post-9/11 suicidal.
...this is probably a long shot, but has anyone else picked through that "fate, time, and language" essay?

>red-pill moment
please tell me this is a joke

Red-pill is probably the wrong word. It was probably the realization that there are equally corrupt and morally bankrupt people regardless on government or ethnicity. That it isn't something exclusive to being American.

is it good?

Can you link me a PDF?
>I was also suicidal post-9/11, but moreso because I lost faith in humanity.

>lost faith in humanity for a fucking terrorist attack
Dude what?
Has this guy not learned about what happened in 20th century europe?

It's one thing to learn about the destruction of the Old World, Fascism, Nazism, Communism, but it's another thing to actually witness death and destruction. Wallace also talks about his "addiction" to TV, so I'm pretty sure he watched this transpire live.

it's in a class of its own. it is a portrait of how his brain works.

i have a pdf of it but i don't know where i's upload it. it's easy enough to find if you know what you're doing, though.
here's a sample page so you can see if this kind of thing turns you on

Yeah that makes sense. I also don't remember 9/11, feels bad man.

>Also I live pretty close to NYC, knew friends that lost parents, siblings and relatives. I was also like 13 at the time and just started to learn about WWII, genocide and what not.
Yeah, experiencing 9/11 and then learning that throughout history people have killed the innocent for no reason other than ideology, ethnicity, political status, etc. was pretty earth shattering.

you fuckers really don't get it, do you?
you look at DFW's suicide and 9/11 and honestly wonder how these things are related, don't you?

I think he actually has a pretty nice voice
no homo

I mean, a person doesn't wake up and be like "Aw, man, 9/11, I think I'll kill myself today." Clearly there were other issues mounting to this.

what were his "other issues" then, wiseguy? tell me what you understand about him.

>The fact that he self-diagnosed his mother as being a maternal narcissist (model for the main maternal figure in Infinite Jest) and believed that his relationship with his mother had left him damaged in some way shape or form
>The fact that he dealt with depression, crippling anxiety, drugs and alcoholism a time throughout his life leading up to the suicide
>The fact that he suffered from "imposter syndrome"
>The fact that he felt unfulfilled in many of his romantic relationships
9/11 might have been an excuse to kill himself, but there were other things going on in his life leading up to that moment. I'm reading his biography, but I'm little more than halfway through it.

Also, what article is that image from? It might be helpful for a paper that I am from.

Ack, meant "paper that I am working on" not from.

it's called "fate, time, and language"
this is what DFW was up to as an undergraduate

who /alethic/ here

Thats very DFW-esque.

I'm 22 and just started reading dfw, am I late?

This, I wish he had done all his audiobooks, it's way better when he reads them.

his "red pill moment" was realizing that his life was a lie and he was a no talent fucking hack fraud.

I love how with this loser and kurt cobain and every other degenerate drug addled no talent scumbag everyone has this conspiracy wondering why they killed themselves. In reality it was the only good decision of their lives

> mmm...yes...well, Wittgenstein says...

stopped watching right there

Relevant to the discussion on 9/11 and suicide.

This french essayist, Philippe Muray, wrote a piece called "Dear jihadists" where he basically says "Yo, Muslims, you can't kill us cause we're already dead. Checkmate."

A little taste:
> “Dear Jihadists! Quake before the wrath of the man in Bermuda shorts! Fear the rage of consumers, of travellers, of tourists, of holiday-makers, who rise from their caravans! Imagine yourselves like us, as we wallow in the joy and luxury that have weakened us.”

dfw is the pseud of the century, glad he killed himsel desu

>welcome to the water XDXD