Mfw you realize that reading the translation of Odissey and the Iliad instead of the original is like kissing the cheek...

>mfw you realize that reading the translation of Odissey and the Iliad instead of the original is like kissing the cheek of a girl and thinking you have had the best sex of your life
It literally makes no sense whatsoever to read it translated, the poetry and the wording sounds and word craftsmanship go to waste, making it half of how epic it was supposed to sound, there is a reason he repeats the words all the time and use a lot of synonyms for the same word
youtube.com/watch?v=qI0mkt6Z3I0

>there is a reason he repeats the words all the time and use a lot of synonyms for the same word
Yes, because the Iliad and Odyssey weren't actually memorized word for word, it was recited differently each time using a standard plot structure where certain set phrases and sections were used to allow the bard time to think, and epithets and other concepts were used so that the bard reciting the poem had things to plug in that were the right fit for the metre of the current line of verse.

If anything, The Iliad and The Odyssey are prime candidates of poetry for translation in to other languages. They existed for a long time in oral tradition in many different forms that closely resembled each other before being written down, translations essentially just bring back the variance, and probably to a lesser degree when comparing reasonably high quality translations.

To be honest this is just what I needed, thank you for posting this.

You know the original text of the Homeric works is compared to Plato's original text like comparing a book for toddlers with the collected works of Shakespeare.

Here is your (You) enjoy

Sometimes a kiss, be it even on the cheek, may bring more happiness than "great sex" ever could.

t. virgin
If it was a hug maybe I would agree with you post

Reminder that translations are not inherently worse than the original, and can be better than the original.

>Implying Homer actually wrote the poem and it wasn't a story that was told for centuries before being written down and modified.

Its the story that is influential and important, not the translation.

I agree with this reasoning. And it's why I hate the common criticism of popes translation as "excellent, but not homer" because poem isn't even homers to begin with.

I do think it's a shame dactylic hexameter doesn't really work in English though. Lattimore did his damn best to.make it work though

>

this! op is retarded

>Let's ignore the whole point of the poem and create a reasoning for it to be superior simply because I am too lazy to learn it in its original language

People don't realize how often true for poetry this is.

>Let's ignore arguments and call people lazy intead

Literally what argument? That Homer didn't make the poems? If anything it doesn't matter if he did or not but the influence the poem had in western literature, and if anything this original poem in its original language was what people read until Translations came. Its sounds, form and rhythmic are literally lost in every translation, reading a translation is reading half of what the Iliad is supposed to be

>reading Odyssey/Illiad
And you critisize others?

>he didn't even read the Iliad/Odissey
How does it feel being an uncultured pleb?

How does it feel to be a braintumored frogposter? You're not supposed to read it, you're supposed to listen to it you damn mongloid

You're on "mount stupid" right now. It's ok, you'll learn through time, just don't act like you're the smartest guy ever.

Oh wow omg a recitation with prepared piano, that's so true to the original. And he repeated lines and phrases for a reason? You don't say! It's not like this is taught in high schools in some countries...
Do you even know Greek?

>he brings on the superiority/inferiority argument
I didn't even read the iliad in its original language, I am just saying that reading it in its translation is reading half of it. You are really insecure my friend

>It literally makes no sense whatsoever to read it translated,

Unless you want to better understand ancient Greek culture and ideas as well as the stories, poems and ideas produced by that culture and cultures influenced by it.Also the plot

It seems a tad myopic to only value it for its poetry

Your face is a book cover?

but you can read it to other people

No, you'd have to recite it from memory

ok

>implying that by reading you can listen the sounds in your head you are reading it
are you tone deaf?

that's completely besides the point

The video is nice, but I can't help but think a true rhapsode would deliver the lines with more energy.

Are there any modern day rhapsodes? I would love to hear the entire thing, if possible.

no it isn't, how do you think Beethoven composed when he was deaf?