How do you do read books when there's no achievements at all in them? I'm serious...

How do you do read books when there's no achievements at all in them? I'm serious. I have played video games all my life, and just last year I started getting into reading. Last year I did the goodreads challenge, and I felt like I was accomplishing a bit, because I was meeting a goal and beat that challenge. But outside of that, it's just hard for me to feel like there's much of a point in reading books.

If you look at life in general, all there is is chemical rewards inside of your brain. It's easy to ask what the point of anything is, but if you really look at life in general, the question seems moot. Take me seriously or not, but I really do have a hard time caring about reading books, and I feel like the reason for that is that they don't have achievements that you can unlock.

I do feel somewhat of an accomplishment when I put more books down on my goodreads as "read", but I didn't do the challenge this year. That being said, I do feel like I enjoy the books that I have read, regardless of the reward that I got for completing them. I also sort of enjoy the feeling of having read really classic and challenging books, because it feels like an accomplishment. I also like the story of books like The Trial.

>How do you do read books when there's no achievements at all in them?
cuz it's fun

>Take me seriously or not, but I really do have a hard time caring about reading books, and I feel like the reason for that is that they don't have achievements that you can unlock.

Your brain has been programmed to only respond to gamification.

Try to read a book that responds to your desires, search for it. If you don't like it stop it. After finding a book you really like you will start to have more patience for books you don't like

What achievement do you actually gain from videogames except virtual points and a sense of immediate gratification?

I've never thought about a videogame for more than a week after turning off the PC, but I've many books that I still continue to think about a decade after reading them the first time. Reading is a very lived experience. Videogames are great for escapism but rarely do they go further.

K N O W L E D G E

I seriously can't even read lolita right now. I just don't give a fuck about this overly eloquent pedophile talking about fucking a 12 year old.

With books you can take the learned information and understanding and actually use it to communicate with other people on important topics that translate to the real world, not just autistic unimportant bullshit like you get from video games. If you need little colorful achievements popping up to make you feel good about what you're doing, I feel bad for you.

>talking about fucking a 12 year old
He doesn't do that at all though

Oh yes he does, on just about every page. You're delusional.

guy's right. That's the whole plot.
>I totally wanted to fuck this twelve year old but can you blame me? - humbert humbert

How people end like this
i had been playing games since i was 5 years old and this never occured to me

heh

OP, you will get shit responses. The reality is that reading books is as much a consumerwhore activity as anything else. Unlike watching TV or vidya, books have a reputation for being intellectual activities practised by high social status people.

Lit will also try to conflate the reading of books with reading as a means to do something else, like reading a maths exercises before you do it. This is wrong and extremely self aggrandising.

t.brainlet

they make me think so I read them.

You are supposed to create your own achievements. For example, I work through Bloom's lists. I don't even enjoy half of what I read, but the sensation to exclude one more book from the list is worth it. My objective is to obtain powerlevel and bash people less well read than me. If I read enough books I can even treat canon authors as utter plebs. It just feels good.

illiteracy on this board must be curbed.

DAE videogames are the books of the future?

Underrated post.

kek, it's funny because that's how 90% of this board feels

This
Self-provement over comfort, even though reading is ultimately comfy

We are entering the age of the last men, you're just a symptom

I'm kind of in the same boat. Been reading all my life, but its hard to stay motivated when your brain is fried from endless serotonin secretration thanks to video games, masturbation, drugs and the internet.

Try making your own challenges. Lit has an endless stream of recommendations which if you can't read you are a "pleb". You could try:

-Reading 50 pages a day
-Read an entire YA trilogy
-Learn a new language and read a book in that language
-Read the entire Western canon, or at least parts of it, in 8 years
-Take a top ten list and read all those books
-Read only non-fiction for three months then read only fiction for three months
-Red a poem a day and spend at least five minutes try to puzzle it out

This year I decided that I am going to read one African American book, one Russian book and one Japanese book, and repeat that. Can be as challenging or as comfy a read as I like. By the end of the year I'll have read shit loads of books I never even thought of picking up and it makes me feel like a big man with my Goodreads numbers.

>The reality is that reading books is as much a consumerwhore activity as anything else
Isn't that even more of an incentive to read?

>I am going to read one African American book, one Russian book and one Japanese book
>By the end of the year I'll have read shit loads of books I never even thought of picking up and it makes me feel like a big man with my Goodreads numbers.

I wouldn't have swallowed the Dhelaney, Mishima and Endo memes otherwise, and its forced me to read stuff on my "eventually" list like Dead Souls, Hero of Our Time and Fathers and Sons.

video games are intentionally designed to be boring. the entire point with incentivization is that it works on tedious tasks, but not on tasks that are intrinsically satisfying. "i'll pay you extra if you dig this hole faster" works, but "i'll pay you extra if you prove this theorem faster" does not work because the mathematician already has intrinsic motivation for solving this intellectual puzzle and offering him a bonus reward does not improve this and might in fact disrupt the motivation he already has.

so video game designers intentionally make games a chore because chores are easier to incentivize via achievements. that's why you get all these games where you endlessly repeat the same tasks for fifty hours. so we end up in this hilarious era where a kid can't wait to finish his homework so he can go play some open world game that's literally structured like homework.

what's worse, incentivizing inherently rewarding tasks can remove your capacity to find intrinsic pleasure in things. you know the experiment with kids drawing? kids were told to draw a picture but one group was told they will get sweets as a reward, and the other got the sweets at the end as a surprise. the ones that didn't know about the reward kept drawing as they were eating their sweets, but the ones who were told about the reward stopped drawing as soon as the sweets were handed out. it's now argued that raising kids with a focus on grades, rewards etc results in adults that have no motivation to do anything because they were trained to only do things for a bribe. if you give a kid a toy every time he reads a book he will stop reading the second you're not there to give him toys. but if he gets into reading for pleasure he will read until he dies.

tl;dr: video games irreversibly broke your brain, you are a ruin of a person. consider suicide.

>tl;dr: video games irreversibly broke your brain, you are a ruin of a person. consider suicide.

> How do you do read books when there's no achievements at all in them?
I'm not a native speaker and reading in English is an achievement in itself.