Books that changed your life and you can't get them out of your head

>Books that changed your life and you can't get them out of your head

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternative_facts
theanarchistlibrary.org/library/max-stirner-the-ego-and-his-own
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The book of Revelation

It was some fantasy garbage I read after isolating myself in a room for 5 years. It changed my life because it contained copious human interactions which I could experience vicariously.

1984 and Flowers for Algernon. Also anyone who thinks 1984 is about politics or government is a complete total fucking retard and needs to fuck off. Flowers for Algernon is also a great book but anyone who thinks the ending to that book is sad, missed the point, and is a fucking retard.

1984 is about many things but the main thing it is about is politics

The politics part is the most boring, though. It's basically "lol government surveillance is bad anyone else love edward snowden XD XD?" It's when it gets into the shit about human nature and metaphysics that it actually becomes interesting.

Prometheus Rising, Cosmic Trigger

andy clark - supersizing the mind

people are probably gonna call you an entry-level fag or something but these are my two as well, i experienced both of them at a young age and constantly think of them. also "we" by zamyatin

>Prometheus Rising

This. it made me view human psychology differently.

the circuits make a lot of sense. humans develop in stages, so naturally we all get tied up at point or another in those stages and play out the respective "games" of each

>1984 isnt about politics
>flowers for algernon isnt sad
This fuckin guy

>If you haven't read this
>Go read it asap
>Read it 2-3 times a year or more frequent if you really need it

are you guys being ironic?

>The Holy Bible
>Some book I read in fifth grade about self-deception
>Some article I read in none other than Highlights For Children Magazine about the imperfection of our memory
>The Conspiracy Against the Human Race
>Entry level "graphic guides" about Kierkegaard, Wittgenstein and other philosophers

Hey I don't know if this is the best place to ask this.

But how well to books like coding and drawing for dummies work?

I have a lot of different fields I want to explore and I have no idea of where to start, would these books give me a good idea?

Also my favorite self help book is no more mr. nice guy.

it hits the nail on the head

quotes from the book:

>Each of us is trapped in the reality-tunnel
his or her brain has manufactured. We do not "see" it or "sense" it as a model our brain has created. We automatically, unconsciously,
mechanically "see" and "sense" it out there,apart form us,and we consider it "objective."

>As the semanticist Alfred Korzybski often warned, when we split verbally that which is never split existentially we introduce fallacies into our thinking.

>Ideas about ideas—mathematics about mathematics(Godel) —language about language—consciousness of consciousness— the whole seventh circuit brings us into
what Hofstadter calls Strange Loops. we follow our own tail around in ever-narrowing
circles, but we never complete the
process by flying up our own rectums and disappearing. It just seems like we're about to selfdestruct in that colorful way, and we decide that what we have been reading, or thinking, or perceiving, must be "nonsense."It is not nonsense. We are merely confronting infinity where we least expected to encounter it—in our own lonely selves.

Drawing with the right side of the brain

Read it. Do the examples. You'll be blown away that it's just a learnable skill.

The surveillance doesn't mean much to be honest. It's more about "doublethink" and how The Party seeks to control reality and thought.

I don't give a fuck, obscurity =/= quality.

1984 has more to do with the nature of truth and knowledge and perception than it does about politics. it barely says anything about politics.

Flowers of Algernon... bro just read it. The guy is happy when he's retarded and miserable when he is smart. What benefit did being smart get him besides some temporary pussy?

>how The Party seeks to control reality and thought.

Yeah.

Answer me this question user: do you know that Donald Trump is president right now? I mean yeah pretty much everyone says it but do you KNOW? Are you SURE he is actually in the white house every day leading our country? Can you prove it to me? or do you just know it because people have said it to you.

Tell me "The 7" and I'll consider reading it. Self-help books tend to have a short-lived impact on me.

MIND...BLOWN...

nigger he touched the orb of anti-terrorism, you only get to do that if you're a god-tier nation like the US

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternative_facts

The Dummies books offer a good basic foundation but then you should expect to read one or even two more in depth books or text books on your chosen subject(s). You might also look into the "(Subject) DeMystified" books as well.

Wow a Dune adaptation that actually looks good.

Bump

>Drawing with the right side of the brain

Thanks m8! Have a good day!

>tfw to intelligent

>implying ignorance is bliss
what a fucking faggot

Read this instead.

this

Lenin's Tomb

Thought maybe, maybe in the future we can have real communism.
Now I don't think so. People will people, there's no way around it. Maybe in 40 years because of the machines.

I read it and I can't do the things he recommends. It would be so phony and beyond my character/personality. I just don't like people and I find most of them mundane/banal

Fuck off with your deep state theory.

Yes, he was happier when he was retarded - at first. At the end of the book he was not only retarded again, but remembered how people really thought about him. So he was retarded and unhappy. Plus the possibility that he could quite possibly die like the mouse as he continued to deteriorate.

Joyce fag

feggit, joyce is god-tier fuck off

Elaborate for us, user.

>completely missing the point of flowers for algernon

Yeah but he wasn't angry about it. I don't even think he was that unhappy at the end, he barely even understood why Alice ran out crying.

>completely missing the point of flowers for algernon

Then what is the point?

The treatment of retards and intelligence vs. emotion. Basically like the only themes in it, it's definitely meant to be sad though, you're just too much of an intellectual to have emotions.

The Ego and His Own

theanarchistlibrary.org/library/max-stirner-the-ego-and-his-own

Steppenwolf. It's gotten to the point that I always try to compare it with books of a similar theme and even nonfiction ones on psychology

>"lol government surveillance is bad anyone else love edward snowden XD XD?"
Not really. The main point is that people don't really need to fear upstart, overtly totalitarian regimes in the future, rather they need to fear subtle and careful manipulation of the population slowly compounding over time to the point that you basically have an overbearing totalitarian regime, it's just the people don't recognise it as such and wouldn't even care if they did, they are used to their existence and the state has them very deep in it's pocket.

>The treatment of retards and intelligence vs. emotion.
How does that contradict what I said.

>it's definitely meant to be sad though
Yeah from your point of view. Note that the story ends before Charlie dies. This is important. I wouldn't say it's a happy ending because it's implied he's going to die, but where the book leaves off is not sad, from Charlie's subjective experience.

This isnt self help, it showed me the way my thinking patterns worked and how to better myself, it isn't something you read once and forget about it, these lessons still hold true

Yeah but that's not the interesting part. The interesting part is on the subjective nature of reality. Who cares if it's in an entry-level book, because the story is entertaining enough by itself.

Why?

I haven't read it yet, might buy it paperback uness I can find a legit pdf quality doc

He doesn't say you have to make friends with people, but you can use his advice to get what you want out of them.

divine comedy and ulysses

Ein Mann will nach Oben.

The Magic Mountain.

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn.

Steppenwolf.

Diary of Anne Frank.

Less than Zero by Bret Easton Ellis
The Fall by Camus
The Plague by Camus
Blood Meridian by McCarthy

The sorrows of young Werther and Faust Part 1 and Two by Johan Wolfgang von Goethe
The great Gatsby by F.Scott Fitzgerald
the decline of the west by Oswald Spengler

The Brothers Karamazov
The Ego and It's Own
Notes From Underground
Steppenwolf
Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

Yu are most definetly German and
>Diary of Anne Frank.
nice bait

Wit are you that guy who wrote a letter to that actress and gets drunk on wine regularly?
>Ein Mann will nach oben
>Falladadidada

Arse full of farts

Borges, Musil and Shakespeare the most.

The great Gatsby by F.Scott Fitzgerald

>Why this one?

Rebuilding Agricultural Engines: Small Ford

I enjoy reading, but none of them has helped to break the habit of consumption. Demons and Notes from the Underground made me more socially aware and thoughtful though.

This.

RAW changed my life more than any other author.

how did i not know this existed

Underrated post

Plato's Apology. Socrates put on a display for the ages in front of the jury, refuting the charges placed against him. But still he was found guilty. He expected it too.

>It is not difficult to avoid death, gentlemen; it is much more difficult to avoid wickedness, for it runs faster than death.

GOAT

the copy I own is from my grandfather and it's beautifully worn yet well kept but getting to the point that more use will do serious harm. Restoring books just dawned on me. I think that's my oldest book

Gravity's Rainbow

congrats, you dont even understand your two favorite books

How is it GOAT if you haven't read it?

>But now it is time to go away, I to die and you to live. Which of
us goes to a better thing is unclear to everyone except to the god.

This one hit me hard.

user, w-what to do you mean by this? To use people as a mean? No way!

What? You're an asshole if you use Carnegie for manipulation, his entire message is helping people, mutual benefit, empathy, etc.

Read it at a formative age. Probably contributed somewhat to my rather bleak view of humanity. Although I was disposed from beforehand.
There are english translations, but this cover is pretty good. >mfw

You're right. It was a poor choice of words on my part, and it makes myself sound like a devious sociopath. I guess what I meant to say was how to persuade people. I was trying to explain to that user there are other practical benefits for the techniques described in the book besides making friends and shooting the shit.

>implying your character/personality isn't determined by what you do
okay pal

Read it a couple years ago. Refer back to it somewhat regularly

Narcissus and Goldmund

Ride the Tiger

Could someone with knowledge of calc 1 jump into this, or is it more like spivak difficulty?

The Mysterious Stranger by Mark Twain has fucked with my head permanently.

Mainly the ending of it.

You have to break away from that yourself you lazy faggot.

Yeah I know

My diary desu

Which one? He never finished it and didn't write a one proper ending.

My nigga

As I Lay Dying

i don't know, but that book snapped something in my skull. it's psychedelic as fuck

The Brothers Karamazov

No More Mr. Nice Guy, actually.

Came here to post this. I read it months ago and i think about it daily still. It changed my perception of virtue

so Orwell himself is a retard?

unironically this

I can't remember much of books. I'm sure (hope) they stick with me in some way. I can't recite quotes from books for example. I've been kind of obsessing over my memory in a negative way lately.

The Long Walk