QTDDTOT

Questions that don't deserve their own thread: New one hot and fresh coming up for you

How much garlic is too much garlic? I want to make some garlic mashed potatoes for a dish tomorrow. I want there to be a lot of garlic flavor, but not too much garlic. Does that make sense? Like I want it be to taste like mashed potatoes with garlic and have that be the dominant flavor, but not "my mouth is being raped by garlic".

Amazing question, reminds me of when I was in my "teens" and was about to go to my first ever rock concert. I was soooo nervous LOL!

I usually just add 4 or 5.
Hubby and the kids love it that way, always works amazingly well for mashed parsnips/swede.

you don't have to put a ton of garlic in it but definitely make sure there is a healthy amount of salt. that will make the garlic flavor pop

I absolutely love garlic. Can eat a whole clove by myself but I always stink like shit after. Any tips on controlling the smell?

Eat less garlic

Can you link your blog here please I demand more

How exactly do you expect us to give you a suggested amount without knowing how many potatoes and other ingredients you are using?

>love snacking on roasted garlic
>farts smell like death for hours
What are some delicious foods you guys like to roast/snack on?

Roasting the garlic makes it not smell

It's gonna be a big ass bowl of mash boy, how many damn potatoes do you use? I never use the same amount, potatoes are all different size.

Lets just say I'm going to use 4 large potatoes.

Fuck it, just go with a clove per potato.

>too much garlic
That's a myth.
One or two per potato should be fine. Or more.

As an apprentice in the art of cooking id say that it really varies, if you have people over they're gonna have different tastes obviously so the best awnser would be to fill it up with garlic until /you/ think its enough

1 clove per large russet potato should suffice

I'm of the firm belief that you can almost never use too much garlic

>Can eat a whole clove by myself
That's not a lot, unless you meant bulb.

roast an entire head of garlic and use it all you pussy

Where do i buy milk to make mozzarella?

Never such thing as to much garlic i eat garlic with everything black garlic is cocaine

>black garlic
what's this?

It's a lot to me because I am a ant.

Holy shit, punctuate.

Too much garlic is when it gives you bad heartburn.

I'm planning on making fried chicken today and want to add furikake to the coating. Which step should I add the furikake in? With the initial flour coating or with egg coating after, before the panko

Punctuation, like separating your text into paragraphs, is considered /reddit/ by the wise minions of Veeky Forums.

Why make your own? Seems like a huge effort of time, would just be easier to buy it and it would probably be as good or better than making your own.

I guess just do a little research into the best kind of milk or cream to use then find a local farm or dairy and try and get the best stuff there.

If you're going to use a brine or something you could add a little then. But I think your best bet would be to add it into the initial coating, and then a little bit more once they're about to be served and are done being fried.

I had to google what heartburn is
apparently I'm not the only one to suffer this

i am marinating it in soy sauce, mirin, rice vinegar, garlic, and ginger. threw some in there.

Ill fry them up later tonight and post results.

add ramson(bear leek)
it tastes of not-too-garlicy garlic, and herbs

How can I tell when my sourdough starter is ready to use? It should be good after about a week right?

paragraphs are whatever, but punctuation is basic tier

What is the purpose of egg when making hamburger patties? Whenever I try it it always gives this gross, overbearing aftertaste to the burger, and nothing else seems different. Am I missing something here?

it's a binder, nothing much else going on
aftertaste, I don't know. Does your burger really taste like eggs? Do you think eggs ordinarily have an aftertaste?

How much is too much? 'Cause I'll roast an entire head and eat it all with the only negative side effect being absolutley horrible gas for the next ~6-8 hours.

Sounds p good right now, though. Think I'll go pop some in the toaster oven.

I don't know how to describe it, but it's a really eggy aftertaste that I don't like. Like, it's yolky, and I don't like the taste of yolk.

Use just the whites. They work better as a binder anyway, no yolk taste, and have more protein.

I forget exactly how to do it but I heard a good way to tell is if you take some of the starter, put into a new separate batch, and that batch doubles in size fairly quickly (1-2hr) you can just use that new batch to make your bread. Something like that, better to just google it.

You shouldn't really need a binder for a standard modern burger, it was popular in the past due to iffier meat (old hamburger begins to separate and liquid is your enemy) and the use of meatloaf-like fillers and seasonings like breadcrumbs (draw out the juices), onions (wet) and steak sauce (very wet).
Like other user said, if you are having problems with burgers crumbling even after you knead and press well, you could use just the egg white, but you could also try a pork mix if you trust your butcher or you're making thin patties to cook through completely. And if you have access to transglutaminase it's absolutely ideal.

How would I go about making Vegemite into a gravy/dipping sauce?

Don't buy Chinese garlic.
Don't buy Spanish garlic.
Buy French garlic.

some people use it as a binder to make sure the patty doesn't break or crumble when fried and flipped.

I don't like it either and it is not at all necessary. Just meat and salt and pepper suffices.

buy American garlic from your local witch

You may be using too much eggs. I usually go with Bobby Flays method of one per pound. That or maybe you're not seasoning it enough.

great burgers are just good beef and don't break anyways
you are supposed to put the other shit on the top of the burger
otherwise it's meatloaf

And eye of newt. Eye of newt is great on pizza.

if your burger breaks you touched it too early or your grill is shit

>How much garlic is too much garlic?

There is never enough and whenever someone tells you that is enough, put on double. Then you will achieve appropriate garlic flavor.

cant say im too proud of the results.
I used a wok for frying for the first time and it ended up having the heat too high. I should have tested the temp better.
Also can't say im a fan of breaded style chicken bites, im more used to doing a korean style with a very light coating of starch and double fry

The batch here on the left is with flour coating or flour and egg coating
the batch on the right was flour, egg, and panko and when the temp was too high.
all single fried

What is the attachment for my food processor for?

Balancing the various slicer blades and kicking out what they've cut.

I often add up to eight cloves of garlic to my sauce, and can barely get a hint of it in the taste or smell.
And then I add a single clove to my hummus and get the breath of death in return.

Is it worth getting an herb garden started? Can I just grow that shit indoors? Will it matter if I grow it indoors when it is winter time?

worth it? yes. depending on im what climate you live, winter might be the wrong time for it: plants need natural sunlight. or just pop it next to your mariuhana plant under the uv-bulb. (getting the whole setup just for some basil is not worth it.)

No such thing as too much garlic

Is it completely amoral to cook for family with cannaoil without telling them?

I was going out with a girl for a solid month but we went to Chik-Fil-A one day and she ordered a number 1 with no pickles. This somehow caused both of our sandwiches to have no pickles. I dumped her that day. Was I in the wrong?

You need to add the garlic to the sauce at the last second before removing it from the heat.

Yes

Shit

Make a garlic purée and dope it in to taste. Just roast a head in the oven and squeeze the cloves out into a bit of lemon juice

Lack of pickles is no excuse to not put your pickle in her. Or do lesbians stuff, but I can't think of a good pickle-based joke for that.

it's only purpose is to keep the meat in one piece and not fall apart

I have chicken that has been marinating in buttermilk and hotsauce for two days (a few leftover pieces i didnt fry)
Are they still good or should i toss them?

You dont need the egg. Just get meat with higher fat content.

if in fridge, its likely still good (how old was it when you started the process?), if you left chicken out in the open for two days and don't live in a really cold climate, bin them.

They were in the fridge. Just bought them that day.

yeah, perfectly fine. unless you're that dude that insists on eating chicken like medium rare veil, in which case I'd still want you to eat it.

Is there a website or "essential" cook book for learning some basics of spices and cooking techniques?

I'm mostly looking for things like "these spices work well with pork, but not so much with chicken" or "you should prepare this cut of meat this way, and this one this way."

I could probably piece together most of what I'm after with experimentation, but I kind of want to fast track it, and not waste meat and spices while I'm at it

Take a tablespoon of starter and put it in a bowl of room temp water if it floats you are gtg

I see ABs Good Eats cookbook get floated around here occasionally and my cousin has one which he uses relatively often. Find a PDF somewhere maybe. AB is really good at explaining things so even the stupidest people can get it. You could always just go watch the show too.

Cool I'll give that a look.