How do I become a great writer like Paul Schrader?

How do I become a great writer like Paul Schrader?

I'm reading the screenplay to Taxi Driver now and the writing is so vivid that I can see the film playing out in front of me as I read the words.

It's one of my favourite films - I've seen it about ten times - but the screenplay is incredible!

Taxi Driver owes a lot to the diary of the guy who shot George Wallace. Tough to find a reasonably priced copy of that though.

Try reading his book.

>the writing is so vivid that I can see the film playing out in front of me as I read the words.
>I've seen it about ten times
nigga that's not the writing it's your memory

Is Shrader /ourguy/? He owns the only English translation copy of Kyokos House in existence

It's getting a second edition next year!

How do writers feel about the fact that no book can reach the emotional profundity of Taxi Driver?

How come nobody ever talks about the fact that Taxi Driver is just a massive intertextual allusion to Crime and Punishment?

This movie made me hate myself so much. Why do people enjoy it?

>I've seen it about ten times

get on my level

C&P, baby.

Because it isn't.

being excited for this news just shows how little life I have

>this movie made me hate myself so much
Because you're a lonely creep? Not even trying to be mean, but I don't get how Taxi Driver would make you hate yourself otherwise.

I remember Paul saying that at the time he was driving a truck around LA delivering chicken at night when he wrote taxi driver. Unless you just happen to have a vivid imagination or a heightened ability to empathize, you probably have to to some extent live some things for yourself to depict them in an impactful way. It at least doesn't hurt.

>Because you're a lonely creep?

Precisely.

Will there ever be another work of art that reaches the level of Taxi Driver? I really don't think so

Well, there's a prostitute and a killing...

And those lines deniro told shepperd on the cafe, about why he went up to her to talk, did remind me a bit of dosto's dialogue

>C&P, baby.
Go back to /b/ you sick fuck.

I only watched this movie about a month ago and I wasn't really feeling it. It wasn't bad but it definitely felt massively overrated, even Gangs of New York felt like a better film even if it was a convoluted mess

People do talk about it. As in Scorsese does. He mostly talks about being affected by Notes From Underground though

Maybe you should be less of a pleb and/or watch the film in a cinema

I'm not gonna brag about what movies I watch on Veeky Forums but I'm well versed in film, I've watched pretty much everything I can find and enjoy most of it. Taxi driver was a movie that has an iconic status now that I never got around to watch, I was excited because I like most of his other films but this one just underwhelmed me...