Any other CS( or STEM) students who wish they studied the humanities and had the talent to become a great writer ?

Any other CS( or STEM) students who wish they studied the humanities and had the talent to become a great writer ?

No. However I do wish I hadn't completely stopped reading for non academic purposes after entering high school. Although now that I'm learning a new language I've started picking it back up.

>studied the humanities
No.
>had the talent to become a great writer
Yes.

Do you write anything in your spare time ?

are they Kafka like satires about a programmer working in an office

No.

why not ? You can't get better if you don't

whats your day job ?

Studied literature this year and will become a CS student this fall. I prefer literature as a hobby, plus I want a job.

Working on math phd.

On my way to C the S, but I do wish I could write.
I even had my grandparents give me an old typewriter so I don't have to be in front of a screen all the time.
Still, I should start sometime.
/my blog desu

well then pls write a post-modern surrealist book where the main character is a math phd student

heck I will do it myself tell me about your regular day and life

have you written short stories in highschool or anything ? What sort of stuff do you want to write ?

What I've written is about 14 pages of pretentious, unconnected garbage- over the past year or so.
When we had writing tasks teachers liked what I wrote, but I guess it's delusional, thinking that means anything.

I'm still trying to figure out just what I want to do.
Right now I'm thinking about the themes that I have some conflict on (individual vs. society is a big one)- but maybe I should just write something and see what it becomes.
I don't like symbolism, which sets me up to do something actually good. I have a moderate interest in worldbuilding, but I wouldn't want to write genre fiction.

STEM student here, actually wishing I'd read more nonfiction as I kind of just started reading textbooks beyond my course work in the last year of my studies. Still hoping to write as a hobby once I'm settled in a job, though.

Why the interest?

Nah,
Physics here, and I'm happy enough to have it on my resume.

I'm saving up enough capital to start a small game studio where I'm hoping to bring some dignity back to the Bioware-style WRPG but until that day I'm happy enough to be a code monkey and freelance developer

Nope, I'm happy with my decision to study electrical engineering. I can study the humanities in my free time, I don't want to pay tend of thousands of dollars for professors to curate information that I can find online for free. You can self-teach STEM as well, of course, but employers don't look too fondly on that.

Engineers are slaves.

Engineers are well paid slaves, and in America, money is freedom. I will toil and stay sane by indulging my passions in my free time until I'm about 33, and then I can retire and quit this tiresome captalist game. It's disgusting that I should have to barter precious life to obtain freedom, but I do only what I feel I must.

Same, but CS and living in Sweden where we basically get paid to study. I would self-study if I had the discipline and it wasn't more lucrative to do it at the university. I learned French and German in order to avoid reading translations, but I guess it might come in handy during my career, too.

Computer engineering here. Literature and history are hobbies, not careers or jobs. Get a job which will enable you to pursue your hobbies in your free time comfortably. Remember that studying the humanities doesn't make you a good writer or give you the tools necessary to be one. You will more often than not end up writing obscurely boring papers on the taste of different kinds of Indian hot tea and how they could affect your mood based on the setting in which you consume them.

Fuck off stupid nigger. If you were half as intelligent as you thought perhaps you would have gotten a difficult degree, but instead you're an insufferable faggot.

You are below a nigger because you stooped to his level. You are a subnigger. How does that make you feel, niggerfaggot?

This is true. Engineers are the new factory workers (i.e. slaves)

t. Engineer

Nope. Schools are for certifications. STEM courses teach you useful career related skills. With the Humanities there's a good chance you end up working at starbucks. You can learn the Humanities in your spare time, although there are some things like practising creative writing which are difficult outside of an academic context.

How so?

Sure
Enjoy your minimal wage cuckery, Mr. Free Man

He already said how -> factory personnel

I originally was majoring in EECS but ended up switching to just CS to pursue minors in math and philosophy. It doesn't really bother me that I didn't do something in the humanities, but I'm just glad I didn't get stuck being a career engineer because I can say with certainty that would have killed myself.

I just do algorithm and actuarial work now, but I'm considering going back to school to either pursue a JD and work in patent law, or maybe if I enjoy academia I might go for a PhD and try to teach in the area of philosophy and math related to AI but that's kind of just a pipe dream. Reading is still a big hobby of mine, but I'm not really sure what my place would be in the humanities outside of teaching it in a university or something because I don't have the skills to become a novelist, and I don't think I have the ideas to become a philosopher.

All of you stemlords disgust me

Stop it /pol/, buying into le STEM computer science meme. You know with all those H1B visas you are just going to be replaced by a Pajeet or a Ching Chong anyway.

Currently double-majoring in CS and creative writing. Sending my first decent short story to a handful of contests at the end of the month. If it does well, I'll polish the novella I've got in the works and submit it to some small presses.