Can't stop reading and re-reading Shakespeare

Whenever I revisit Shakespeare, I find all literature written after 1900 to be bland, and I don't want to read anything but Shakespeare.

Does anybody else have this problem?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/PbgKEjNBHqM
youtube.com/watch?v=UOouofFFrZE
reformjudaism.org/blog/2016/01/19/were-shakespeares-plays-actually-written-jewish-woman
youtube.com/watch?v=qYiYd9RcK5M
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

t. Bloom

I know it sounds autistic, but it's true.

And I don't even consider myself to be extremely cultured or gifted with fine taste.

youtu.be/PbgKEjNBHqM

What's the best way to into shakespeare?
Seems silly to just read his works. They weren't intended too.

yes, but with Pynchon. I force myself to read other stuff but I am always thinking "I should be reading Pynchon right now."

I mean the first Shakespeare i ever read was a novelization of Romeo and Juliet and it still stuck with me. It's just timeless. Of course, i'm inclined to say read as close to the original English as is within your ability. But even if you read it in Braille it's beautiful writing.

Watch a good adaptation first time around to see the language in context, then read the play. When reading Shakespeare becomes easy, read first to appreciate the language, but still watch adaptations after as they are, as you say, intended to be performed.

kek for me it is joyce. I read ulysses (in the best translation to portuguese) and 2 weeks later I couldn't hold myseld and had to reread it in the original. I could read it all over again, or portrait or dubliners, but am "forcing" myself to read other books. currently on oresteia and kjv psalms. its not that hard though because most greek plays are great

Bloom adores loads of post-Shakespearean literature. I think he just sees everyone after Shakespeare as being poetically indebted to him, since he's written inside-and-out most of all a writer can ever write about regarding the human self. Don't know this yet for myself, since I haven't read most of Shakespeare

why haven't jews spread a rumor that Shakespeare was jewish? i don't see why they haven't bothered to rewrite this history

I'm not sure if I find literature post-1900 to be bland after reading Shakespeare because I do return to it and gain enjoyment from it, but Shakespeare is quite addictive. Once I've read one of his plays I want to read another and I find myself reading a play of his in a single afternoon.

What I personally found to be rather helpful (I'm not a native English speaker) is listening to a dramatized audiobook version of the play whilst reading it as well.

Once you get used to the language, Shakespeare plays are very easy reads, as the plots and characters are great and the rhythm of his dialogue makes it easy to follow and the beautiful words a joy to read.

He's much easier than most other "classic" authors and is just as good as they are, so I definitely agree that his work is very addictive.

I have a similar situation with Homer. The Iliad a masterpiece.

>They weren't intended too
>too

Yes, they were. And even if they weren't, why should that be a problem? Just read them, grab the one that seems interesting to you and that's it.

I swear you people come up with the most idiotic excuses not to read.

Watch Kenneth Branagh's Hamlet then read Hamlet. There are countless versions of all of his plays on film so you've no excuse not to watch them and then read them afterwards.

No they weren't but you're right that people use it as an excuse to not read them anyway. Shakespeare is fine to read but it's so much better to see performed.

Look up any of Rylance's performances on Youtube.

youtube.com/watch?v=UOouofFFrZE

A Shakes play isn't that impressive the first time around for me. It's always on successive readings I really get into it. I've read Much Ado five times and it hasn't ceased to be better each time.

>so much better to see performed.
I disagree. I've seen about a half dozen of his plays performed live and watched some of the more famous productions, and only enjoyed one (Brando in Julius Caesar).
On the other hand I always enjoy reading his plays.
I just don't think many actors and directors can do them justice.

Doesn't sound like a problem to me.

reformjudaism.org/blog/2016/01/19/were-shakespeares-plays-actually-written-jewish-woman
WE

Shakespeare is better read than seen IMO. Most productions are dogshit and the syntax and vocab is difficult to pick up unless you re read and have notes.

I recommend Kurosawa's adaptations though

Maybe you like the format of drama screenplays better. Try Ibsen.

Read them aloud.

Remember that the accent was a lot different back then, so you'll miss a lot of rhymes and puns.

youtube.com/watch?v=qYiYd9RcK5M

No his plays weren't meant to be read, but ever since his death that is what people have done. I guess you should start with a play like Romeo and Juliet or Macbeth. Hamlet is considered to be his best play but it might not be the best starting place.