Whats wrong with e-readers?

Whats wrong with e-readers?

Basically there are tons of places to download free e-books, so taht you will rarely ever have to buy a book. the reading is comfortable and compact. you can have your entire library on you at all times. what is stopping you from replacing your bookcases with a single piece of technology.

redpill me on e-reading / e-readers

Other urls found in this thread:

books.google.hr/books/about/Heat_Transfer_Equipment_Design.html?id=eeN6GgF3v5MC&redir_esc=y
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Whats wrong with e-readers?
Nothing.

Can we stop having this same thread every day?

im pretty new on Veeky Forums so i had no idea that this thread was being posted frequently, its just that a lot of people i know are piling heaps of bullshit on the value of actual paper books, and i cant find a single valid point.

i think the hate towards e readers comes from a kind of intellectual insecurity, where you cant actually be smart without having a nice big bookcase

>a lot of people i know are piling heaps of bullshit on the value of actual paper books

pseuds is the preferred nomenclature

U better not b messing with me
This board is full of people dedicated to people who desperately wish they were revered intellectuals. Of course they're gonna shit on ebooks. Socrates didn't shower; Veeky Forumsposters don't use ereaders.
Also, stop using double spacing. It looks bad and makes everyone think less of you for coming from reddit.

Lurk for at least a year before making a thread child.

>Also, stop using double spacing. It looks bad and makes everyone think less of you for coming from reddit.
This needs to fucking stop. People have been saying this for exactly one week.

I'm not a fucking savage, and I'm not going to make my posts harder to read on fucking purpose. Fight me you piece of shit.

you just made me notice it, and now i cant unsee it, thanks

also im not from reddit, and even if i was why the fuck would that matter

im tryig to point out how irrational it is, its like they are reading books, just to have people look at them in a certain way

sorry i dont understand your sentence

and then

there's

this faggot

no

NO

I will use

double spacing

Bait or retards?

Separates the readers from the people who like the image of reading.

I use an e-reader but the commodity feitishist in me can't ignore the joy of filling up a bookshelf.

The fact it is the only way I can read old classics without my paying myself sick makes them worth it. I could read from computer but its more clunky and the classics aren't even translated properly in my shit language nor are they translated in any big amounts..

I agree. I just think a fill bookshelf is extremely comfy. Also for all the technology in an e-reader, books are just plain simpler. Pick up, read. But e-readers are pretty based for traveling or for shit you don't care to have in your bookshelf.

I mean, you don't have to stop buying books for your shelf if you've got an e-reader. I collect all kinds of books and I have an e-reader. I read almost exclusively on my e-reader, but I also have so many books it's a running joke with my friends. I don't get this argument? Is it because western culture is so duality based? What?

I slightly prefer reading a "real book" to an e-reader, but I use both. Mainly use the e-reader for non-fic.

I'd just feel weird putting unread books in my bookshelf.

So I guess the answer is severe autism.

Oh, I suppose that's a reason. I tend to buy books second hand a lot and I have a lot of old books too, like dumas from 1800s and things like that. If I get a book on kindle or libgen, and really like it, then I'll buy it analog too.

They're amazing for saving money, and their readability. I have a paper white and it feels better on the eyes than a lit screen.

But, the biggest downside for me is accessibility of a book. This usually depends on whether or not I've got a PDF file or a MOBI, the latter typically being more functional, but I may want to flip back to a previous page for something, and the kindle feels like a barrier to that. For his, I typically don't like using my Kindle to read books for research, because I know I will often be flipping through it and I haven't found how to comfortably do that with the paper white.

It is literally scientifically proven that you retain less when you read off a screen.

not e-ink. That study involved computer and tablet screens.

yeah when college kids doing paid surveys skim a buzzfeed article they don't retain much, it's most definitely scientifically proven

If you're a poorfag it doesn't really matter, Kindle might be the only way to read a lot of books at all, outside of your computer screen, which is less comfortable.

why would you use a material bookshelf in your house when you can have ita ll inside an e reader wich is nearly s simple as opening a book. its like driving around with a horsecarriage when there ae cars because you like the estethic feel of books?

ist reading books supposed to be seperate from its material form, isnt it about aquiring teh story/knowledge inside the book?

what does the suppository of said knowledge matter?

Now this i understand and agree with

Pleb tier. That's it. Wherever you can bring a tablet you can bring a book too. Don't be a little bitch.

i forgot to sage, here, have one

What if you're going on a long vacation and want to have your entire bookshelf with you, moron?

How fucking new are you?

t.pseud

Had you read the article you would've seen that the e-ink/normal screen difference is irrelevant in this case. The problem is in the total and complex physical experience (paper texture, smell etc) that you get while reading a real book, which aids retention. An ebook is reduced to an abstraction that is always represented in the same way, on identical pages of the same flat device.

k

the first time i needed to move all my books, I realized how fucking stupid it is to have a ton of dead trees around the house. the medium really doesn't mean shit. so I sold and gave away most the physical books and now have a Kindle with about 10,000 books on it that I can carry with me everywhere. I don't see the point in not taking advantage of new technologies to enhance my experience. but i'm sure some pseud will think that a book is more meaningful on paper for some stupid ass reasons

i know you're a brainlet if you endorse e-readers because 90% of longform scholarship in the humanities is not available electronically

>scholarship in the humanities
nice meme

If you care so little, why did you reply to me the first time around?

>not digitizing things from the library you can't find online
r/books is that way.

Yeah but which one do I buy, the Paperwhite or the Aura 2

they fall into the same trap as everything else nowadays, where having unlimited access to content is inverse to the effect of wanting to consume it so you end up reading less

same reason every has 100 steam games but plays six of them. same reason why everyone has netflix but complains there's nothing to watch. i'm sure there's a name for this effect

The paradox of choice

Don't wanna start new threads - i am looking for
books.google.hr/books/about/Heat_Transfer_Equipment_Design.html?id=eeN6GgF3v5MC&redir_esc=y

Heat transfer equipment design.
by R. K. Shah, Eleswarapu Chinna Subbarao, R. A. Mashelkar

bookzz is offline. Where do I find it.
Please help my academic growth.

>offline
It's not.
See

Why thanks very much.
Still can't find my book, but thanks,

paperwhite is good, but there is the aura h2o that is waterproof, and the aura one what is larger than a kindle

also depends on if you will ever buy books or not. if you do, kindle might be better

Well call me old-fashioned but I like my good old wooden fingerbox a lot better than the plastic ones from china that kids nowadays have

I love my e-reader and my ~3500 volume Calibre library, but if it weren't for the convenience, I would choose a paperback every time.
I love the feel of paper, the smell of a book. Especially a musty old one that you got at a used bookstore. Sometimes I'll just stick my nose close and riffle the pages.
Another thing no one has mentioned is that you can easily lend or resell a physical copy.

For Kindle, I just use the bookmark function because I can make as many as I want and delete them when I no longer need them.

OK, so people have been complaining about reddit spacing for about a month.

The only reason I don't use mine more often is because of the usually shitty formatting and the fuckton of spelling mistakes or grammar errors in almost every ebook. I also buy every book so it's not like they're pirated versions where you'd expect that.

Another thing is that even the paid books often use outdated/poor translations and it's quite difficult to see which translation a book is in the store.

Apart from that there are smaller problems like the difficulty in quickly jumping back or to a chapter and the indexing is often poor or nonexistent, or the lack of footnotes.

I read ebooks for public domain novels. But I buy physical copies of copyrighted books and poetry.

Also, I always make sure that I don't have more than 10 unread books on my ereader at one time to combat the paradox of choice.

>lack of footnotes
Most modern readers have pretty good support for footnotes, just tap the number and it brings up the note.

I recently bought a paperwhite, it feels pretty much the same. The only drawback I can see is that no girl will be interested in you because of your book collection, but that has happened to me once in 23 years..

>and i cant find a single valid point.
Have you ever tried taking copious amounts of notes on every page on an ebook reader? When I was younger I used to write out every single chord in a piece of music above or below the stave, point out pivot chords, key changes, temporary tonicization, tritone subs or ii-Vs on tritone subs, mark structural changes, make notes of interesting motivic development etc. There was almost as much written on any page by me as there was of the sheet music itself. Ereaders also tend to display sheet music as being eye straining small with no way of enlarging it.

Kobo aura one + koreader is a sheet music dream. I couldn't imagine doing notation on anything but paper though.

Nothing's wrong with e-readers. Personally though, I prefer the feel of real books. I think its more comforting and engaging

I used my kindle paperwhite a lot because it's very easy to be comfy in bed and hold the device with one hand in a comfy way no matter what my position. With a paperback I need to contort my hand depending on my position and use the other hand to turn pages. It's even worse with hardcovers.

If I wasn't so lazy I'd prefer paper form.

stupid product for stupid consumers

Ereaders can be damaged by pressure on the screen whereas you don't have to worry about your book breaking in your bag
Books don't need to be charged
Books are more asthetic; people think you're smart/sophisticated/whatever
Normalfags don't like piracy
Pirated books can sometimes be shitty quality (I guess this is true for physical books too)
Ereaders are more valuable, you might be more worried about being robbed
Books are comfy, reading them is a nicer experience
You can't really lend someone an ebook

>You can't really lend someone an ebook
the crux

Yeah, that's the whole idea, privatize knowledge until you can't literally share it freely.

Shut up u fag

...No?

>32gb usb
>has 8gb of ebooks
>lend someone the drive for a night
>they take what they want
or
>upload collection on mega
>share link with friends
or
>post link from libgen
wow that's really tough, goddamn

i like writing in books
i like showing my dominance over plebs
i like finding weird books in thrift stores and stuff
i already have a bunch of books and don't want to throw them away

Why on God's earth would you throw a physical book you've already bought away just because you happen to have it in ebook form too? Does anyone actually do this?

Some people don't live in huge American houses in the middle of nowhere and therefore need to conserve space.

I gave my books away. The good ones to people I know and the bad ones to a shitty book store. I only kept 4 books.

If they have calibre and an ereader then they could just pirate the book themselves
If they don't then they have no way of reading it