Veeky Forumserary pet peeves thread

Veeky Forumserary pet peeves thread.

What really gets your goat when you're reading, getting a new book, studying, discussing literature, etc?

> go to bookstore
> try to buy a new book
> the exact book and edition I want is available but only one copy and that copy is covered in scratch marks, scuff marks, creases, etc

Seriously hate the people who thumb through a book so vigorously that they damage it and then they return it back to the shelf. Don't be a cunt. Buy the book. I also blame the bookstore for not chucking books treated like this in some sort of discount bin - nobody wants to pay full price for a book treated that badly.

No fucking wonder everyone buys their books online (if they buy their books at all of course).

It's worse when you can tell the person thumbing through it had been eating something at the time.

Deckled pages.

when a bookshelf isn't organised either by size or alphabetically. i think it's monstrous to just put all the books out of order on the shelf, really triggers my autism

also book collections that are exclusively young adult fiction are embarrassing too, genuinely

> "the book was better than the movie"

Nah, nigga. This shouldn't be a go-to answer to every adaptation ever in an attempt to show you're well-read. Sometimes a book is trash and is adapted because it'd make a better film.

Except this is true 90% of the time, especially if you read the book first. It's a lazy point to make though

You could just ask the bookstore to give you a discount on it because it's in bad condition. I know I'm too socially awkward to do it but my gf often asks for discounts on stuff that's not in good condition and generally speaking will get it.

Didn't really think that could work. Will give it a try in the future if I don't think the damage is too bad but honestly I'd rather just pick up a pristine condition book

I still cant figure out the perfect position to hold a book in my hand, and what to do with my body.

Some books are easier than others. Large hardcovers just beg to be read at a desk. Easy answer if you have a decent desk and chair. But smaller paperbacks with strong spines? I want to just break the spine so I can easily hold it open in one hand, but I dont want to accidentally damage the spine so much that it might fall apart. I can also read it anywhere, so I dont know how to lay my body.

Also all of YA

Too many epigrams, makes me feel like I'm overthinking something

This. I was in Waterstones, some fat guy had been sat in one of the seats with a large pile of books, thumbing through them. He had some McDonalds on one of the little tables and while thumbing through it, he was getting food down the centre of the book, right into the crack where it's so close to the spine it'd be hard to get it out. He then left without buying anything. I looked at the pile of books and there was grease and salt on a lot of the covers. Plus the fucker must've spilt his drink because he had left them on a wet table and the bottom book was warping.

Anybody here work at a book shop? Please tell me you would ban this motherfucker from entering the shop again.

>yes, the book is about the inherent savagery of humanity user, very good
>but what does it say about racism and sexism?
>you haven't explained context yet, remember that at the time everyone was very racist and sexist

You should think about buying an e-reader. I also struggled to find comfortable reading positions with some books, but since I use an e-reader I like reading more.

> watching Macbeth with Michael Fassbender on TV
> it's OK
> family come into the room to watch TV
> "which xmen is this? when did magneto travel back in time?"
> tell them it's macbeth
> "oh isn't that the bad luck play?" "Oh yes oh yes it's so bad luck nobody plays it anymore" "oh god that's scary"

I do and I would.

However we dont allow food and drink for this very reason. I dont know how a shop that does would deal with it without seeming like pricks.

You can't have any proper discussion of academic philosophy because of peoples misconceptions, every thread you have people asking and answering with the following:

>No an adjunct professorship isn't a noteworthy position and doesn't carry any level of respect
>People don't read journals, a super vast majority of peer reviewed papers aren't worth reading.
>That's continental philosophy, not academic philosophy.
>No academic continental philosophy doesn't happen in continental Europe either, European humanities academia barely exists outside of Britain.

That never happened. Any of that.

It genuinely did. A conversation between my step-father and my older brother.

Fair point, Waterstones seems pretty casual on the food and drink policy, especially when some of their branches have coffee shops inside the shop.

The over-articulate cunts in here that are so sad with their lives, they've read a few books now want to appear superior on a Filipino finger painting forum with their unecessarily convoluted word salads.

Kill yourself, brainlet. This is the one place on the internet which can still hold fruitful discussion of literature without a week long waiting period and it's the elitism which conserves this.

I think it's because the book always has 'more' stuff in it. When discussing film adaptations, nobody tends to mention anything other than thematic content. Discussing literally any of the qualities that makes film a visual medium is the easiest way to avoid making the banal Book > Film argument.

I'd probably have a word. The only people I've seen like that tend to be in the manga section.

this boils my piss also.

If you want to call people talking past eachother through unintelligible intellectual babble fruitful discussion then by all means....from what I've experienced people often try to appear too smart and the discussions get bogged down in misinterpretation & misrepresentation. Being intelligent doesn't mean to exclude clear concise language to get points across to facilitate actual, fruitful discussion.

The elitism is a facade, someone read 20 pages of the Iliad or some Shakespear and like to strole their ego over "normies" while achieving absolutely nothing. Its definitely a sign of immaturity and insecurity that cunts cant have a decent chat about a topic without falling into the semantics of two "superior Veeky Forumserary elites".

>Being so bogged down with work you can't even spend an hour or two reading every day

> people listening to audiobooks and then saying they've read the book

It doesn't bother me if people listen to audiobooks, but at least say you listened to the audiobook. It's just misleading otherwise.

sometimes people are just genuine idiots, user

it's what happens when people don't want to better themselves but would rather browse social media for hours watching 15 second videos of skateboarding dogs and babies bopping their heads to some music

???????

I hate this kind of sentence construction:

>user went opened the fridge, took out the leftovers

Instead of just saying "and". I'm an "and" slut. God bless Hemingway.

Nigga the only movie that was ever better than the book was fucking Jumanji

The Godfather movie was better than the novel. Same with The Shining.

> implying Kurosawa's Stray Dog wasn't better than the trashy pulp novel it was adapted from
> implying Kubrick's adaptations didn't often improve on their original novel
> implying The Handmaiden isn't better than Fingersmiths
> implying Les Enfants Terribles wasn't a better film than the child-like novella

get the fuck outta here, faggot

nothin personnal kid.........

I hate this too. I especially hate when they bring up the argument that it's the same as reading and try to cite some stupid study that proves it.

Never seen a study that acknowledges that very few people concentrate solely on the audiobook, like is required when reading a physical piece. It's always passive, an accompaniment to some other task you're doing, so your attention isn't completely on the book. Meaning you get less out it.

> tfw you accidentally tear a page

What is Fight Club?

even Ridley Scott's The Martian was better than that piece of shit book

Sorry guys, guess I was mistaken. I suppose I should watch more films. I typically only watch Robin Williams movies

Absolutely disgusting.

>Dog-eared pages
>Scribbled notes
>highlighted passages
>folded paper pack covers
>Stains on hard covers
>Ripped dust jackets
>Deckled pages

Oh my god I hate that shit.

The only thing that doesn't set off autism levels for me is the dog-eared pages and that's because I do that all the time.

King's ending was dogshit. He complained that Nicholson made the character too "sinister."

>It's always passive

No reading/listening is completely passive. Do you think listening to a lecture is a passive activity.

I don't think audiobooks are necessarily bad, but they are an enormous waste of time.

"s/he" and other grotesque variants

I can't stand when they use "she" as a gender-natural pronoun, It's so fucking foreign.

(s)he

I try to imagine the default gender of humanity as female (in mind, irrespective of the reproduction aspect) when I see that, and it's like our world except completely plebeian in the worst sense--even anything STEM would be missing. Only vapid materialism and an overwhelming lack of purpose.

There's always words that fall in and out of favor with certain groups, or for certain uses.

I find that when some people feel the need to come across as intelligent (PSEUDS), there's a list of words they like to throw in for no good reason:

-"data"
-"empirical"
-"cognitive"
-"very much" (this one I don't get... as if 'very' isn't enough of a junk word already)
-"comical"
-"agency"
-"powerful"

I'm not complaining, though. Red flags are helpful.

When you listen to a lecture you're giving the lecture your full attention and/or taking notes. Most people who listen to audiobooks are not just listening, they are also doing some other activity like chores, driving, exercise, etc. while the book plays in the background.

I'm not saying that all listening is passive, I'm saying you will be less efficient trying to focus on two tasks at time instead of just one. Reading is a task. Audiobooks make it not.

When faggots and roasties ostentatiously read their books on the train.

Fuck you, autist. My commute to work is long.

Design is so important to me I literally don't buy some products because I don't like the font on the packaging. I've dropped books simply because I couldn't find them in a font that didn't have quotation marks like pic related, they're such an eyesore, the commas too. It just looks cheap. Also,
>old books with huge page margins
>when simple words are explained in footnotes like they expect the reader to know literally nothing
>when people read paperbacks in public and they bend the side they're not reading all the way around, like you'd do with a magazine
>when dictionaries contain any color whatsoever
>ribbon bookmarks. God I hate bookmarks. I'm not a fan of altering/damaging books but I just have to tear bookmarks out as soon as I get the book
Also seconding the whole book VS movie thing. They're different media with different applications and unique traits that can't be translated into each other.

Dust jackets. Really prefer hardcover with the title printed on the book itself.

>Being intelligent doesn't mean to exclude clear concise language to get points across to facilitate actual, fruitful discussion.

>From the guy using two adjectives where one would suffice.

I had a philosophy professor that did this. You could just tell that the guy was first in line at the voting booths to vote for Hillary.

I had an English teacher who did it for fucking infantry

>tfw buy a new book
>pristine condition
>don't want to destroy the beauty and condition of it
>hesitant to read it

This happens with everything I buy. I hate using new electronics too because they wont look perfect anymore. Help.