Where to start with this guy?

where to start with this guy?

I'd start either with Yes, Wittgenstein's Nephew, or The Loser.

the greeks and/or my diary desu

The first page.

Loser, Correction or Old Masters.

Don't start with Correction

The Loser or Corrections

Is that Edward Snowden?

Correction: Start with Correction.

The Loser or The Lime Works

I'm halfway through Correction as my 5th Bernhard and I'd definitely say it's a terrible starting point since you'd pretty much have to be entirely on board with what Bernhard does to find it bearable at all.

Maybe Lime Works (Kalkwerk), it's the most humorous I've read and a very good representation of author's recurring themes.

An absolute must is Correction.

Don't start with Old Masters. It's the most boring.

What are some books like Correction where the main character logically arrives at suicide as the answer for their problems?

it's about time someone made a Bernhard chart.

He's not a particularly chart-friendly author because a lot of his books are very similar to one another in terms of how they're written and what they're about.

Travesty by Hawkes

It's a murder-suicide though.

All of Bernhard's books

Yeah all his books are very similar as this user said. Extinction should be read last as it's his last book and he knows it but otherwise one can jump in pretty much wherever.

Don't start with Correction or Extinction. That's really all I gotta say.

Looks like Assange

The Floating Opera is kind of like that, but the MC settles on a mass killing

So why haven't you read Bernhard's master work yet?

that's his worst novel though

He's just being a memer.

I get the feeling no one on lit has actually read Bernhard

I've read Frost, Gargoyles, The Lime Works, and The Loser. I'm sure at least a handful of others here have at least read The Loser if not a couple of other books by him. He's great, but there just isn't a whole lot to discuss when it comes to Bernhard because his work is fairly self-explanatory.