Is Infinity Jest hard to read?

Is Infinity Jest hard to read?

By hard to read I mean: is it The Sound And The Fury Quentin Section Tier?

Not really. The endnotes can be quite annoying, but that's kinda the point.

no, it's just long

It's tldr the book

/thread

It's not hard to read at all, just long. The only part that is kind of difficult is the Eschaton chapter, and that's just keeping track of acronyms.

>“Infinite Jest” is also, of course, a description of the novel’s structure. The book is almost eleven hundred pages long, but it feels even longer, owing in part to several hundred footnotes, which disrupt the reader’s attention and send it looping backward and forward in an effort to maintain continuity. Even without the distraction of the footnotes—which sometimes consist of pseudoscholarly apparatus, sometimes of extended narrative tangents, sometimes of humorous asides—the text itself is simultaneously fragmentary and recursive. Story lines alternate wildly; some resume after long digressions, some turn out to be nothing more than digressions themselves, and the connections between the proliferating threads are persistently elusive, and just as persistently hinted at. Infinite Jest is, to my knowledge, the longest novel about tennis ever published. It is also a dystopian political satire set on a North American continent menaced by paraplegic Quebecois terrorists and splintered into new territorial arrangements, the most wildly metaphorical anatomy of drug abuse since William Burroughs’s Naked Lunch, and a tender, heartfelt, coming-of-age story.

>The novel’s Pynchonesque elements—the fact that part of the United States is now a federation called O.N.A.N., the symbiotic relationship between terrorists and law enforcement agencies, the shadowy career of underground filmmaker-turned-tennis-coach James Incandenza—feel rather willed and secondhand. They are impressive in the manner of a precocious child’s performance at a dinner party, and, in the same way, ultimately irritating: they seem motivated, mostly, by a desire to show off. And some of the novel’s broad satirical intentions—to warn us that corporations control everything and that entertainment is a drug—are familiar bromides decked out in gaudy comic dress.

It was the first book I read in like three years when I read it. It isn't anything like joyce/faulkner/pynchon etc. I had no idea what it was responding to or rallying against but the fundamental message is explicit.

But is it long and boring, like Moby Dick, or long and exicting/happy/interesting like Don Quixote?

I liked it. I also liked Moby Dick though I have never read Don Quixote.

It is not exciting and happy. IJ is often labeled as some grand comedy but it's pretty depressing.

there are some parts that are boring

I'm having a hard time reading it. Keeping track of everything is kind of hard, so I read it very slow. I only read ten pages a day, and I really struggle to reach that goal. But it's not that hard in itself to understand. Just a bit tricky to really get it all in.

If anything it's deceptively easy

Thanks

> Moby Dick
> boring

motherfucker you best watch your back or you're finna be cut

hey user

I'm reading it right now and I can tell you that the first ~250 pages or so are great. After that it starts to slow down. People have told me it picks up again towards the midpoint but don't expect it to be as good as the first few chapters all the way through because it isn't.

Also I like DFW's style, but it can become stale when he dances around a point that you get already. Some of the conversational endnotes are way too long as well.

Maybe my english skill is not good enough, But I tried reading few chapters today and I really have no idea what the fuck is going on.
First it was some mental tennis player trying to get admission, then something about a druggy, back to hal in a different point in time, suddenly I'm reading about a sand nigger or something
What the fuck?

It isn't chronological. I'm wondering if he's trying to mimic a bender or something where time gets fucky.

Quentin section of Sound and the Fury is not hard to read you stupid faggot

So basically, one has to read the book first to have some background info to read it again a second time to fully understand what the fuck is going on.
nice.

These. Not a terribly difficult difficult book to read, easier than all of the (post)-modernist classics. You just have to dedicate yourself to it because it's long and has a lot of characters with interwoven plots.

More maximalist Pyncnon with less difficulty and slapstick