Why isn't he held in higher esteem...

Why isn't he held in higher esteem? He was an absolute pioneer in terms of his philosophy and its application in the development of a better self

His name should come before Nietzsche, Heidegger and all the others that followed in his footsteps

Because he was the original edgelord.

He wasn't edgy at all, or WAY less edgy than Nietzsche
You could call him self-indulgent, melodramatic or narcissistic, but he wasn't edgy for the sake of it

Oh yeah lit is so intelligent
they evaluate their ideas by how handsome their pictures are and view ideas as a monochrome between edgy and not edgy

>lit is
>they

brainlet alert

You haven't tackled my argument faggot

You haven't tackled an English grammar book faggot. Do that and I'll come back to attempt to take on your argument, profound and insightful as it was.

I am perfectly capable of spelling perfectly.
I assume my readers are of the basic intelligence ,curiosity and good spirit to evaluate and respond to my arguments without focusing on such petty details as is symptomatic of those of narrow and unlearned minds.
You are using me as a lever for you're own self esteem, attempting to bolster your own ego by criticizing my grammar.
Spending ten minutes typing and putting so much effort into shitposts on a Japanese image board isn't worth it. Maybe if I was writing academic papers (which I do) , composing a speech for one of my clients or shadow writing a book (all of which I do professionally) I would take the leisure to such procedures. The purpose of an image-board is the rapid exchange of ideas, ideas for the idealistic, not the petty and stupid. So I'm sorry if your too stupid to grasp the soul of my writings and look beyond the presentation.
You do realize this is how language was formed do you?
Language was lengthy, bulky and inefficient. Then some clever and innovative pioneers like me decided to make some refinements. That's where contractions come from. That's why idiots like you have the luxury of saying "You're" instead of "You are", because some intelligent person like me decided to shorten it and make it more efficient. That's why we don't speak Old English. That's why we're not throwing spears at each other in the African Safari. Intelligence. Which you have a plentiful lack of.

kek, good post

>Spending ten minutes typing and putting so much effort into shitposts on a Japanese image board isn't worth it.
And yet here we are

>existentialism

>application in the development of a better self

Unless you have a fantastic writing style this is the area of philosophy that gets the least notice. All the popular thinkers are those who created entire systems of understanding/ analysis.

>His name should come before Nietzsche, Heidegger and all the others that followed in his footsteps

Its a shame he never dealt with Stirner

Because he was a Christian and the humanities are controlled by leftists and leftists hate Christianity.

>danish
It's that simple.

This. If he was German he would have a bigger circlejerk than Nietzsche around here.

Nope.
>Going entirely against the Zeitgeist
>Being genuinely christian
>Being successful in philosophy
Pick two.

Forgot pic.

he shitposted against hegel

>doesn't know Pythagoras is the source of all wisdom and the inventor of philosophy

>they still read kankergaard
there are much better danes out there

> nietzsche
> edgy
?

Name even two...

I don't have to do anything, SPOOK

Reading him now. Loving it so far. Neetzsche is a hack.

just because Kierkegaard is really cute and nice doesn't mean he is a bad philosopher

yet you cant explain to us why he is a "pioneer" or should be considered before "all the others"

i've never read kierkegaard, and you have not convinced me so far.

existentialist tripe

i can thou. first of all he was earlier than almost all other existentialists and his influence is everywhere in existentialist thought

shutup you chad sympathizer

He's definitely a pioneer

>kirekgaard
>died a virgin
>one woman he had to marry via arranged marriage
>sperged out and left

He was really edgy
Better, he was the original /r9k/ autistic-beta male

>Why isn't this extremely famous, influential and well regard philosopher held in high esteem
>His name should come before Nietzsche
No. Kierkegaard is a great philosopher but Nietzsche's influence far outdoes him.

agreed

He was a fraud, or we associate him with way too much.

>reading works written by anti-democrats

>implying that Nietzsche "followed" in his footsteps
kys

I was looking for a bait image, but this one works too.

Danskere stinker af prut for at være ærlig

probably cause irrelevant country and no great translation also God wasn't fashionable in intellectual circles in 19th/20th century Europe

> Why isn't he held in higher esteem

Original sin

Because Danish. The English translations aren't great.

>my suffering matters more than yours!
>when you go to woman, go to her with whip in hand
>veganism is a plot by eastern 'gurus' to make people addicted to mysticism
every third paragraph at least in the gay science, really

I'm just baffled I can't find any goddamn pdf's of either/or.

>dude just have faith lmao

Still, that lad was thoroughly BTFO lol

How come nobody pointed out the apparently deliberate misuse of your/you're by this guy, and how come no one gave him a blowjob for it?

Some of his stuff was literally shitposting

And yet he is one of the few philosophers on here whose work is proven to be true. Everything else bandied around on this board is pure speculation.

youve probably never heard of him

First off, you misunderstand Nietzsche's philosophy if you think he's positing these as absolute values, as truth. He's just saying that, in his own worldview, what matters isn't what's true and what's false, but what makes one stronger and what makes one weaker. The will to power is everything for him, so he posits these "truths" that you've written not as objective, but as truths that for him, subjectively, increase his feeling of power, is part of the joyful play of egoism. A lot of Nietzsche's "philosophy" is more art, seeing over-the-top and chauvinistic views of life to challenge himself and the reader, a play of ideas to increase the feeling of power rather than (like Socrates, his archenemy) a supposed "objective way of finding truth"

This is why he writes such things like "veganism being a plot by eastern gurus to make people addicted to mysticism": it's almost a conspiracy theory, but an ingenious one, and he's positing it as his interpretation because he feels it's a life-affirming idea, that simply writing it and introducing such a ridiculous idea into the reader's brain and possible changing their engrained mindset increases his will to power.

Second, Nietzsche is more hilarious than edgy. He's so bombastic and aware of his bombast that it's hard to call it simple edge.

Third, veganism may in fact have such negative effects on the psyche that it indeed decreases the power of will in one and thus makes it easier for them to be brainwashed by any mystic.

Because he was a shitposter and extremely religious. Definitely an underrated genius though, and his life contrasts wonderfully with the comfort and fame of most other post medieval philosophers.

>probably still eats beans

oh my gaard

I am perfectly capable of spelling perfectly.
I assume my readers are of the basic intelligence ,curiosity and good spirit to evaluate and respond to my arguments without focusing on such petty details as is symptomatic of those of narrow and unlearned minds.
You are using me as a lever for you're own self esteem, attempting to bolster your own ego by criticizing my grammar.
Spending ten minutes typing and putting so much effort into shitposts on a Japanese image board isn't worth it. Maybe if I was writing academic papers (which I do) , composing a speech for one of my clients or shadow writing a book (all of which I do professionally) I would take the leisure to such procedures. The purpose of an image-board is the rapid exchange of ideas, ideas for the idealistic, not the petty and stupid. So I'm sorry if your too stupid to grasp the soul of my writings and look beyond the presentation.
You do realize this is how language was formed do you?
Language was lengthy, bulky and inefficient. Then some clever and innovative pioneers like me decided to make some refinements. That's where contractions come from. That's why idiots like you have the luxury of saying "You're" instead of "You are", because some intelligent person like me decided to shorten it and make it more efficient. That's why we don't speak Old English. That's why we're not throwing spears at each other in the African Safari. Intelligence. Which you have a plentiful lack of.

>doesn't know Pythagoras was afraid of the number 2 literally

I'm just baffled I can't find any goddamn pdf's of either/or.

>When he was 28 years old, because of some personal affliction (possibly venereal disease) Kierkegaard forced himself to spurn the affections of the most popular woman in Copenhagen—18-year-old Regine Olsen, whom he dearly loved—without explaining to her why. Initially crushed by the rejection, Regine later married the successful philosopher Fritz Schlegel.
>Kierkegaard never recovered, and his love for Regine festered into a disturbing lifelong obsession. Hundreds of pages of his journals are filled with fantasies about her, fragments of imagined conversations, cryptic book dedications, and unsent letters.
one of us.

OP is a dumbass

>you will never be kierekargds bff

Why did you repost me.

im a slut

Does anyone even really know what "edgy" means? Or is it just passionate beliefs not shared by contemporaries.

Kierkegaard is the only philosopher universally liked on Veeky Forums though.

He actually didn't die a virgin.
He fucked at least one prostitute.

Well I'll tell you. Veeky Forums is chock full of retarded epicureans, stoics, stirner memes, odinists, and people who think schopenhauer wrote anything worth reading.
There is one thing all of these people have in common, they are brainlets. They literally cannot grasp the religious, they never studied patristic philosophy. Most of the pseuds here skipped right to foucault just because other pseuds idolized him.
Kierk is pretty good although I think he has his weaknesses, but the thing about kierk is that he is more of an introduction to mysticism than a philosopher, so he didn't get popular with all of the brainlet protestants and atheists in northern europe. Died in the street half way through his blackbird pie.

>brainwashed by any mystic
But Aquinas was smarter than Nietzsche.

Schopenhauer is totally worth reading you phucking phillistine...

He had a lot of very insightful things to say, but I think the most important lesson we can learn is from his character rather than his academic work.

In that he was a human being, who was flawed despite his best efforts to commit to his philosophy. (his reverence of asceticism vs. his own lifestyle choices, short sighted conclusions...etc)

Bottom line is he is a thought provoking man, what else can we expect of a philosopher.

I think you're right people are drawn to epicureanism here because it lacks that pretentious mystical obfuscation.

> Danish
> Huge body of work which includes systemic philosophy, biblical exegesis, sermons, prose, etc
> Interpretation is complicated by the use of pseudonym "characters" who contradict each other
> May require some knowledge of Hegel
... explains why he's not among the select group of lit approved (but never read) meme philosophers.
That said he's included in any serious history of western philosophy, is discussed in not only philosophy, but litterature and psychology departments and has been cited as an influence for people ranging from french existentialists, to derrida, to wittgenstein..
Calling him underappreciated is inaccurate, though he might be under-memed.

Is this the Veeky Forums navy seal copypasta?

You would be Nietzsche's pet.

Nietzsche is not edgy. The "edgy" meme usually relates to young, annoying, ignorant iconoclasts shitposting on the internet. Nietzsche read all of the western canon, and regarded it with respect. He only attacked the powerful philosophers that he respected, ie Plato, Socrates, Kant, Hume, etc. Also, Nietzsche was a lad and not resentful in the slightest.

He wrote about stuff like anxiety and emotion right?

Was he a pioneer of psychology using the limited means available at the time?

>Thirdly
You need dat protein to live

Kind of looks like Rick Sanchez in that drawing. Oh the irony!

Someone, answear this.

Over-the-top banality in design and attitude, with only "respectable" weaknesses that aren't real weaknesses.
For example, you are never wrong, it is just black humor every time.