Have you considered a Nom De Plume?

Have any of you who are trying to get published ever tried a pen name instead of your own?

Is the use of a "black" pen name wrong if you're "white"

I'm thinking something along the lines of:
Shaniqua "the disabled lesbian" Mohammed

I am a young white man from the upland south, writing books indebted to the venerable southern school of Faulkner, Penn Warren, and O'Connor. Four years ago I was living in a disused train depot on saltines and peanut butter. I wrote much of the night, sent query letters assiduously, got rejections from every third-, fourth-, tenth-rate agent and publishing house. Now I have two novels published and am preparing a collection of short stories. Here I will admit that this change of fortune was eventuated by a nom de plume. Obviously I can't reveal it, but I will tell you that the name is that of a black woman. Beyond a few close friends, my editor, and my agent this remains a secret. There are drawbacks, yes; I am forced to decline interviews, academic posts: the niceties afforded published authors are cut off from me. But this is something of a benison in that it allows me to focus on my work. I will not become a panderer or a dancing bear, which is exactly what Coates and Hooks and all these other black American authors have become. I do not regret what I have done.

Liar

Look, treat it as advice. There are people with actual talent on this board (still I have this conviction) but they will never get anywhere writing white hikkimori diary entries. Write something true, but use a persona.

Yeah I use a pen name. I didn't want to have to worry about employers finding out what I write when googling my name.

I don't know, but they don't have to find out. This is what I plan on doing.

go back to /pol/

You can give interviews unless you are a best-seller like elena ferrante (and I doubt you are because I have read of no faulkner like novels on the millions or the new yorker or bookforum or tls) nobody cares about outing you and looking like an asshole.

People respect pen names especially because they know there are many reasons people take them.

There was nothing politically charged about my post. I am not a racist, I simply choose to write under a black woman's name.

When did you reveal your real name to your agent? Right of the bat, or a bit later?

I suppose. Although in the current climate I worry people would take it the wrong way. I'm just an opportunist. People will believe what they want but I couldn't be less interested in making a political statement regarding identity. I've only had a few interview opportunities, though.

There wasn't much cloak and dagger. When my agent found a publishing house they flew me out to New York and I alerted him ahead of time that I was a white man.

So you used a black name to contact him via Email?

Yes, originally.

>have a pen name
>never write anything

>Practice signature for pen name 100 times a day
>Never write anything

I can see why someone would use one. But honestly I'd much rather stand by my work than pretend to be something I'm not.

Maybe if you're starting out, posting short stories you might later regret, it would be beneficial to use a pen name.

I use a pen name, but it's just my actual name with a XIII added as a joke.

In high school, I actually trolled the yearbook by saying I was the XIIIth. They put it in there and I was placed next to Tyler Jacobs V-- who was an actual 5th.

He hated me. One time he was crying at a party in a room full of people and I asked what was wrong and they all glared at me. A girl I was fucking had just turned him down via text and I walked into it oblivious.

Anyways, a pen name is pretty fun. I love how over the top stupid mine is. Plus, there are many famous people with my name, so the XIII will really make it easier to find me.

lol

my pen name is Benito Camelo, worked good so far

Good one.

>I'd much rather stand by my work than pretend to be something I'm not.
What a controversial thing to say, really sticking your neck out there.