He reads fiction

>He reads fiction
>He wastes time on anything but Philosophy, History, Economics, or Current Events
>He is forever pleb

>Implying these are not also fiction
Wew

we tend to think of the fictional as a special kind of writing that deviates from fact. but i want to propose to you that this kind of writing, that reintroduces a difference between the content of the signified and its form of reality, once introduced into the structure of written signification, in fact necessarily and always becomes a fundamental element in the functioning of that very structure, such that it is no stretch to say that all writing partakes of its fictional intensity.

>mfw I read fiction
>mfw I know what people think and why, because I know the stories those thoughts originated from

>Current (((events)))

Cut economics from that list and stipulate that current events just illustrate themes of history or philosophy and you have yourself a deal.

you can't truly understand philosophy without literature (and vice-versa)

Anyone who says fiction is for plebs if a charlatanian philistine. Read a book.

kek I've always wanted to do this. Mind recommeding me a list or something?

Ok jung

Ever notice that nearly every notable philosopher frequently read fiction?

Reminder that Wittgenstein was obsessed with Street & Smith's Detective Story Magazine.

>he wastes his time on economics, a literal organized scam
>he probably thinks that Thomas Friedman is a good writer and that globalisation is a good idea

Just looked that up. That's such a cute story.

>he doesn't read both plus poetry as well

You have no artistic sensibility. You're basically a pleb still.

the difference between American "hard-boiled detectives" and British Holmes-tradition crime fiction is unironically the best analogy for the difference between Witty and Russell/Frege

Globalisation is good
Global unification is bad

The greeks and phoenicians stretched their legs as far as they would take them

Now, I don't agree with the sentiment of this image. I do believe that fiction and religion are the only ways to avoid the scenario, however.

God gave us dreams. We ought to appreciate them, for God if nothing else.

Read Cicero's Pro Archia you pleb

Agreed, but I just wanted to show OP that fiction isn't only for plebs.

>choosing either and not studying philosophy and literature hand in hand because all great ideas are expressed in an even greater way through narrative
nigga what you doing

I'm surprised, or perhaps not, that this is even a distinction in a world after Edward Bernays, TV and mass media.

>he thinks I care about wasting time

>He believes he can come up with any ideas outside his cultural epesteme.
>He doesn't see the art of self creation.
>He's probably a conservative

Fuck off Marxist

>posting the words "wasting time" on a Nepalese funny pictures forum for autistic teens
This is my favorite meme.

Fiction is home to symbolism which reflects the innate truths and historical remnants of each culture. There is good and bad fiction of course. As a whole it is very worthwhile.

>He thinks Foucault was a Marxist.
>He doesn't know Foucaults classical liberal leanings
>He probably discounts Marx's influence on social sciences separate from his economics.

>He jacks off to Jordan Peterson.
>He unironically identifies as a conservative.

I've never read anything by Peterson or watched any of his videos in full and I'm not a conservative.

>there is no truth therefore we are all one and we should absolve nation states
>thinking "conservative" is innately an insult
>he believes he is outside ideology while shitposting postmodernist philosophers on an anime forum

>He thinks post-structuralists believed there was no truth
>He isn't socially liberal

Define "socially liberal". If that means I don't support censorship and I don't go to church, then I am socially liberal. I also enjoy ales with my friends.

>philosophy
You need the barest of introductions to a handful of philosophers, as information from academia has never propagated beyond academia with any amount of efficiency
>history
If you're reading anything other than a list of discovered items, documents, or objects, you are reading fiction.
>economics
Yes, because your knowledge about anything beyond a household or small business economy is going to help or influence literally anything. This is important information to waste your time on, certainly.
>current events
Whatever is actually important, you'll know about it. If a country hick in the middle of no where with no communication beyond word of mouth hasn't heard about it, it's nothing more than sensationalized bullshit that people are blowing out of proportion so we can all feel like important, serious things are happening.

>legalize drugs
>legalize prostitution
>destigmatize abortion
>destigmatize sexuality
>support libertinism
>change culture towards less repression

>He's anti intellectual

Agree with most of that aside from
>destigmatize abortion
How exactly would you go about "destigmatizing" something? Some people don't like it when women kill their babies. That will never change.

>destigmatize sexuality
You think this hasn't already happened? Young people don't get married anymore and most of them have sex with 10+ partners.

One leads to the other. That's where anti-trust legislation comes from.

Fite me irl, faggot

Another entity has no right to a woman's body, plus I think abortion would be treated differently if men could get pregnant. It's a subjugating view.

I still see regressive views toward gender roles. Men and women are expected to follow the marriage/children breadwinner/stayathome lifescript.

I see our culture as heavily controlled by conservative lifestyle views. But I live in a very conservative state.

>He would violate the Non-agression principle.

Women have the unique power to create life and mothers are crucial in every human being's psyche. There's literally nothing wrong with monogamy and traditional families. They shouldnt be forced into it, and they arent. Your argument stems from your perception of culture. You think this isn't ideological but it is. The strongest, smartest, most individual woman I know is a married mother who goes to church and shoots guns on the weekends.

I concur, doctor

>implying common people like us are intellectually relevant

It doesn't matter what any of us think about anything. It's all pleasure reading.

>intellectually relevant
>implying the shadow intellectuals have any power

I have nothing against conservatives choosing to be conservative. The issue arises when they attempt to legislate their morality. Same goes for censorship in left wings ideologies.
Conservative hegemonies in rural locations are rampant.

>implying knowledge cannot be applied in your own sphere of influence.

Oh no, a woman has to drive 50 miles to abort her bar baby. What an atrocity. Damn conservative hegemony.

Sure, now; in the past the option wasn't even available.

Same with conservatives saying "We have no issue with what gays do in their own home, we just don't want them to desicrate marriage." They didn't think so in the past.

They are against gay marriage but are not against interracial marriage, as if the amount of social freedom we have now is the perfect amount, no further. Liberty achieved.

Also, all government is legislated morality. You, as a Foucault guy, should know that. Just because it's morality you don't like doesn't mean they're doing anything different than you are. Also, abortion is not just a woman's health issue, it's also a new human life. I'm not moralizing here, but you cant deny that. It's dishonest to masquerade your views on this as non-idealogical, then claim your opponents are "legislating their morality" when you're doing the exact same thing. Like I said in the first comment, you're a marxist.

I don't deny I hold ideology. However, my ideology is advocating for individuals right to choose what they want as opposed to one sector decreasing for all. Less government means less control over one being liberal or conservative. So yes, I want government to enforce the right to individual choice and enterprise.

Not a marxist, I love capitalism.

Ok then we mostly agree. Sorry if I assumed something that wasn't true. But abortion is not as simple as infringing on women's rights. That's a 100% dishonest way of looking at it, and it's pure death philosophy. BTW, I love scoping the bar for young sluts and reading William Blake.