New Tolkien Novel

>"In this book Christopher Tolkien has attempted to extract the story of Beren and Lúthien from the comprehensive work in which it was embedded; but that story was itself changing as it developed new associations within the larger history. To show something of the process whereby this legend of Middle-earth evolved over the years, he has told the story in his father's own words by giving, first, its original form, and then passages in prose and verse from later texts that illustrate the narrative as it changed. Presented together for the first time, they reveal aspects of the story, both in event and in narrative immediacy, that were afterwards lost."

Anyone looking forward to this? Thoughts?

Other urls found in this thread:

forum.mobilism.org/viewtopic.php?f=1293&t=2094636
forum.mobilism.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=498030
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Looks interesting desu

That's a big dog

I think it's this super-dog powered by the Valar or something. Supposedly there's a point in the Silmarillion where it even manages to beat up Sauron.

>"Essential to the story, and never changed, is the fate that shadowed the love of Beren and Lúthien: for Beren was a mortal man, but Lúthien was an immortal elf. Her father, a great elvish lord, in deep opposition to Beren, imposed on him an impossible task that he must perform before he might wed Lúthien. This is the kernel of the legend; and it leads to the supremely heroic attempt of Beren and Lúthien together to rob the greatest of all evil beings, Melkor, called Morgoth, the Black Enemy, of a Silmaril."

Beren and Luthien is easily the worst story in Tolkien lore.

>tfw you realize that Peter Jackson's tweaking of the Aragorn-Arwen story was just him turning them literally into Beren and Luthien, with Elrond taking the place of Luthien's father

I believe it's Huan, who is a great wolfhound.
Foggy on the lore though, haven't read the Silmarillion in years.

I grabbed The Children of Hurin from my local library but I'm not sure I'm going to read it. It's an actual novel like the LotR and not just a boring list of the world, right?

I'd say that would be The Children of Húrin due to some of the dialogue and some character development.

Why do you think B&L is the weakest story? What's some of your favorites? (besides the lotr trilogy.)

You're correct, it's a novel similar to Lotr.

Tolkien's son actually does a pretty good job with this stuff

Isn't he in his 90s now?

-Turgon and Gondolin
-Death of Thingol
-End of Numenor
I can't remember much else, but I do specifically recall disliking Beren and Luthien, even more so than Turin, which was just incomplete and unorganized

It's mostly incomplete, would not recommend. I liked the Silmarillion more despite it being a little boring at times

I would be so hyped if it was a Feanor novel instead

Sauron sure was a huge jobber back then

Thanks for the answers. Seems like a few people in this thread don't like it, so maybe I won't bother.

Oh and of course Feanor and the Noldor

>Anyone interested in this?
I just preordered it a minute ago because of this thread. Didn't know there was a new Tolkien book coming out, but I can't wait to read it and take a comfy break from more serious literature. I have faith in it being good, knowing Tolkien, and Christopher is a pretty good editor.

I'll be purchasing it as well. I also have faith in it being a good read, I am looking forward to see how Christopher has put this together.

How come Tolkien is okay with you guys while other genre fiction is considered trash?

Because Tolkien is GOAT

Hating genre fiction is a meme, you dip.

It's a lay, dude. A long poem.

Half of the guys who "hate" on genre fiction are doing it ironically. They actually read it, or think some of it is fine. It's just part of the board's necessary elitism to make awkward stupid people feel unwelcome, since Veeky Forums's moderator only checks on things like twice a day.

>How come good written novels are okay with you guys while awful novels are considered trash
What a stupid question

Because nearly all genre fiction IS trash. It's not that I'm outright opposed to reading it, I just don't care to spend the time and energy finding those few gems in genre fiction when I could be reading good literature instead. Tolkien is an outstanding writer, and we know that his work will be high quality.

for you

Finally.

Sometimes I doubt that Veeky Forums is totally irredeemable with taste utterly shit and devoid of aesthetic sensibility. Then I visit a Tolkien thread, and all my misgivings wash away.

>I can't remember much else, but I do specifically recall disliking Beren and Luthien, even more so than Turin, which was just incomplete and unorganized
>I'd say that would be The Children of Húrin due to some of the dialogue and some character development.
The standalone version of Children of Hurin is easily the best work in Tolkien's entire oeuvre. I'd be interested to hear you substantiate your positions.

Oh I am fucking ready, I wont even wait for translation

Because it's mythopoiesis.

J.R.R. Tolkien produced his fictional languages first and foremost, and drew from all manner of European mythologies, epic poems and the Bible to fashion stories behind their origins and divergences.

In order to write the Silmarillion, the History of Middle-earth, and the rest of the posthumous Tolkenian opus, including the novel this thread is about, his son Christopher had to collect and collate different, fragmentary and often conflicting manuscripts, containing diverging versions of the same tale.

What he did is EXACTLY identical to the job of the mythographers ancient and contemporary.

Now name a genre fiction book that came into existence through the same production processes. I'll wait.

Great hound sent by the Valar to aid B&L
It was allowed to talk 3 times
Third and last was, while mortal wounded, that he said something along the lines "We did good didnt we lads"

Sleep tight dogger

Exactly this, Tolkien was a scholar of epic poetry, language, and folklore. He was basically creating his own epic in his spare time, and a request from his publisher for a sequel to a children's book became a big part of the epic. That was lucky for us, because its success created the demand for Christopher to go and publish his other works.

>still no digital copy available to steal

Children of Hurin was fucking awesome, so I'll read this too definately.

Yeah I'm just waiting for this

I cannot find this book anywhere on the usual piracy channels. Does anybody have a source? It's not on #bookz for example. Release date is today. I don't want to spend 15 EUR on a 288 pages book.

>not supporting one of the few estates left that deserves every penny they get. You're going to make Christopher cry.

Still nothing?

> Yfw you realize Christopher is 92 and the rest of the family just doesn't give a shit

There will be no more books after this :(

>
forum.mobilism.org/viewtopic.php?f=1293&t=2094636

I don't think there's any more material to publish, even Beren and Luthien reprints some previously available stuff. Plus Christopher's younger son has helped him with some editing tasks, he'll probably stay respectful to the material when he inherits the estate.

We've been amazingly lucky that Christopher essentially dedicated his life to publishing everything JRR wrote.

Tolkien isn't genre fiction you uneducated faggot

He's genre-defining fiction that bridges the gap between Victorian Fantasy and contemporary High Fantasy.

Naive. Stop.

THANKS user!

This meme sucks ass and is old. Shut the fuck up.

fuck off you fucking cunt, jesus fucking christ i hate people like you

Why don't you explain why you think I'm wrong instead of just responding with that nothing of a comment?

What's incomplete about it? It's short, but that it. It's polished and complete. No loopholes, cliffhangers, or loose ends. Only problem that I see, is that it's tied to Silmarilion lore.

reminder that these download pages are set up to look like malware sites, but are not

forum.mobilism.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=498030

Hating genre fiction is a meme, and the pseuds who fall for it unironically are only to be laughed at and scorned. Who the fuck neglects an entire genre without consideration?

>Huan
Dios mio...

H O T
E
A
D

Somebody get these hotheads out of here...

He can't. He's secretly an Uruk.

Not really but that cover is really cool.

Why Tolkien's books need draws?

Because genre fiction, post-Tolkien fantasy especially, is derivate garbage written by inferior authors who lack imagination and talent.

Hobbit is for childs, Lord of the Rings is for teens, but his mythos are greats.
The guy even create languages for his books.
he doesn't diserve hate

Okay I read it from yesterday and I am very glad that I did not spend 15 EUR on it.

It reads like a weird version of the tale from The Silmarillion. Several characters are just so out of character.

I did not like it and have deleted the book from my reader.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. Christopher did a good job.

Internet piracy is bad mkay?

seems legit

it's legit

Stand alone of children of Hurin is fucking A+

By the end I wanted to off myself as badly as his sister did

JRR was smart because he basically trained Christopher to be his successor from a very young age. Christopher was his right hand while writing LOTR, he helped edit a lot of it.

I'm surprised to find this sentiment here, precisely because I agree with it. The Children of Hurin is beautifully in so many ways. I marvel at it especially in a literary sense, it's so economical and expressive and reads almost like an actual campfire rendition of one of the lays of Beleriand. It is immensely apropos unto itself, there's not a shred of drag or incongruity to be found. And of course it's also deeply tragic, hauntingly beautiful.

You can tell that the person who wrote it was deep in eddas and the anglo saxon chronicle and manuscript history

Beren and Luthein is essentially the story of Orpheus in tartarus except no aesop.

Yes, it has a sense or feel to it very reminiscent of European myth.

Don't be dumb. Aragorn anad Arwen were always intended as a recapitulation of Beren and Luthien.

Tolkien isn't genre fiction.

>read preface
>C. Tolkien talks about it being 93 and regretting not being able to continue to work on his fathers manuscripts
>About being old
>About how his father was basically dead on his feet after his wife died
>about how tired this project made him

pretty sad overall

Why read Turin when you can just read Kullervo?