Spanish language literature

I've begun learning Spanish recently, and one of the several questions naturally arisen from such an endeavour usually is, how good is Spanish literature? So could you recommend a few worthwhile books? But, please, don't metion Don Quixote, Borges and Garcia Marquez. Thanks in advance.

Cortázar's short stories
Bolaño's TSD and 2666
La Vida es Sueño by Calderón de la Barca

I don't read in verse but there's a lot of great poets that wrote in Spanish.

Unamuno, CJC, Espronceda, Calderon de la Barca, Juan Boscan, Rosalia de Castro, Clarin, Perez-Reverte, and for poetry Quevedo and Gongora. Spain has the best literature bar none.

Javier Pottero
El Bloodo Meridio
Los Gravitas Rainbolito

Haha, kidding, not funny, you dolt.

That's not even his first time being gored. He got gored in the eye a few years ago and now half his face is paralyzed.

What a sport.

Whats some really easy entry level Spanish lit? I've had Spanish for 2 years but my grades weren't great and I haven't brushed up on it in a while. I would like to read Don Quixote in Spanish at some point but I think a translation must do for now.

Pic related is an anthology of short short stories (most are not even a page long) from literary traditions across the globe, translated and curated by Borges and Bioy Casares. You will find legends, parables, folk tales, jokes, fables as well as stories from masters of the medium such as Kafka, Borges himself and O Henry.

I think they are specially interesting for beginners because they are very short and to the point, but still hold a lot of literary value. I have used them with my students with a reasonable amount of success.

I would also advise investing on an ereader if you are serious about learning Spanish, definitions and translations available at the tap of a finger are invaluable if you are learning another language.

Also, many natives would struggle with Don Quijote because of the archaic language. I would advise against reading it until you are at the very least at C1 level

Papelucho

What do you like?

Sex and realism.

Neruda
Bolaño
Becquer

>Pérez-Reverte

Bolaño then

Paradiso by Jose Lezama Lima

Not the other user but He isn't amazing or anything, but he displays the way of tought of a tipical Spaniard quite well desu. "La Sombra del Aguila" makes me lol everytime. If you wanted to put an anglo author in the same vein, I would say he is like Bernard Cornwell, fun way to read about some interesting parts of history, samey characters and solid but not beautiful prose.

Bernard Cornwell is shit-tier. Can't fathom how anyone could enjoy reading him.

I don't want to make a new thread only to ask this.
What's the best Spanish translation of the Bible?

>Bernard Cornwell is shit-tier
Sounds like a fair analogy comparing him to Pérez-Reverte then

Damn, what a question. I honestly never even thought about it. I don't really think there's a big difference in spanish, I've read different ones and most of them say basically the same, with little to no difference at all. Actually, finding a different translation is harder than finding the same translation.

kjb

*teleports behind you*

I think I'll go for the Reina-Valera 1960, wish me fun.

Tadeys by Osvaldo Lamborghini

why not the master Borges? dat thinking about the infinite blows your mind, Cortazar short stories are algo very good, "La noche boca arriba" probably my favourite, would read several times

Don't get me wrong, I like Borges and all, but was wondering if there is something else to read.

packing quite a schlong there

Makes you wanna deepthroat, I agree.

wat

Cortazar short histories (the best compendiums, for me, are ultimo round and todos los fuegos el fuego)

El matadero by esteban echeverria (said to be the one or the first, if not the first, pieces of Argentinean literature?

La fiesta del monstruo (borges and bioy casares re writting el matadero together)

Apologias y rechazos , El tunel (sabato)

Anything by Saramago

You were talking bout his bulge, amiright?

Las muertas - ibarguengotia

If you go for Cervantes first, everything will be easier. Just don't start with Don Quijote; start with the Novelas Ejemplares

Read that only if you are plebestan. Spain and latin america are inherently catholic, and anything patrician comes from that tradition.

But it's racist.

I just read el pozo by juan carlos onetti. It's a very short read, you probably will not understand it but give it a try.

I've read El Astillero by Onetti. He's probably too patrician for Veeky Forums to be honest

Okay, then what translation do you recommend? I've heard RVG is the closest one can get to KJ in Spanish.

Imo, the best writers from Latin America are

Rubén Darío
Neruda
Borges
García Márquez
Gómez Dávila
Bolaño

Neruda (which would be my recommendation for a beginner) was a poet, and he should be read in Spanish ideally (I dont believe in translated poetry) but then, he did manage to become famous worldwide.
He was a communist, and still managed to write good political poetry.
Id recomment Canto General from him

The same goes for Rubén Darío, who was the first major poet in Spanish since the XVII century.

Gómez Dávila has translations into German, Italian and Polish, but not into English. You should google some pdfs of his works (Escolios a un texto implicito)
He is easy to read because he was an aphorist (a reactionary Catholic)

If you want to read Bolaño, his 2 great works are 2666 and The Savage Detectives. Both huge novels. By Night in Chile and Distant Star are also excellent and much shorter (novellas).

>Spanish literature
>Anything by Saramago
This nigger

steo aside pebs

It's one of the few ways than we can make that kind of bull feasible to raise, they need lots of land than isn't easy to replace (the dehesa) to be raised. The dehesa is where the Iberian pig should be raised too, makes the best ham in the world.

SOBREVALORADO

Spanish literature is very scanty and low quality.

It is only surpassed by Russian literature though

What about French lit? Hasn't France produced the most classic books in Europe?

Perro caca