2017 Reading Challenge

How's your reading challenge going?

Share and compare.

Other urls found in this thread:

goodreads.com/user/year_in_books/2017
emilybarton.blogspot.com/2009/06/youve-got-to-read-this-lud-in-midst-by.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

pretty slow this year desu

To be fair, youre books have a lot more pages than mine. I've been cheating with lots of short books.

Also, >reading anti-Clinton books
You won, get over it.

A few weeks of slacking, but doing pretty good overall.

How do you see your year in books?

Hitchens is a lefty

Read the kid's stuff to kids on a babysitting work, and i'v reached the conclusion that Seuss is a fucking hack, since he seems to assume that kids can't handle more than simple, repetitive monosyllabic rhymes.
I mean, fuck i don't intend to read Eliot to them or anything like that, but i read some of the poems from Edward Lear's Complete Verse And Other Nonsense and they clearly liked that better.

Read Milk & Honey for all the shot throwing Veeky Forums was having over it, and it's abysmal, to the surprise of no one, to the point where it borders on the offensive because it's now one of the most read poetry collections, kinda like Howl was also complete shit but it was the most read poem of the 20th century.

Most of the other ones we're just re-reads of classic favorites like The Story Of The Eye which is my favorite book of all time and i jizz myself (not on an literal sense mind you) over it at least once a year.

i cannot get enough dick recently

Anyone having trouble with Gpodreads registering their read books? I've read about 70 this year, but it only shows 41.

Mine did that for a while and then fixed itself.

>Reading for score.
Plebs.

Kierkegaard, A. (2011) 'On Why Scoring Sucks And Those Who Defend It Are Aspies'

what, who's doing that?

i literally just do it to make sure i'm not slacking behind, what the hell are you on.

>Emile Zola's Germinal
>1 day
Impossibru

added like 3 at once

lincoln in the bardo...thoughts?

>all those doorstoppers
Assuming you aren't posting ITT for confirmation, how can you possibly read so much?

Is McCullers any good?

I finished 3 books so far if you don't count law school textbooks/cases.

I read on my breaks at work. I don't watch television or spend much time on the Internet. I made it a goal, over the past few years, to start reading more, and it's worked. I stead of killing time on my phone, I read. Instead of Veeky Forums on the shitter, I read. I don't necessarily recommend being this much of an autist - I don't have, or want, a lot of human interaction - but I do get a lot of reading done.

My thing with reading is that I need to read slowly and sparsely, not because I'm stupid and have poor reading comprehension, but because if it's a particularly important work I take my time and absorbe it and contemplate. If it's an aesthetic/stylistic piece or poetry, I especially take my time because it's lot like sex sometimes when I read it and have read it over and over again until my soul is satisfied.

Not that faster readers can't be as contemplative and consumptive, but if you're able to read that much that quickly and still have that near-spiritual experience then you're a hell of a lot smarter than I am. I'm fuckin jelly.

I only started using Goodreads a few weeks ago.

Dunno what to read next.

>maus

HAHAHAHAHAHA

>titus groan

absolute shit.

neither can your mom

I honestly don't feel like I read all that quickly, just consistently. I reread passages often, if they're particularly beautiful or affecting. I try to take dense works slow, and understand as much as I can. I don't think I'm smarter than anyone, I just don't do much else other than read. I don't skim or skip anything, I study it. I get bored with easy reads, so I'm always reading one of the dense tomes, but I don't believe it has anything to do with intelligence, just an autistic desire to read the hardest books ever written and understand them as best as I can. I am rereading Gravity's Rainbow now, and I am realizing I missed a lot the first time. It's actually pretty easy to read (in comparison to the first read) this time, and I think that has a lot to do with having been teaching myself, by going for harder and harder literature, to be a better reader. It does it get easier, and you will get faster, like any other skill.

I keep getting about 40% through long ass books and starting new ones help

Finish the books, man. It might feel immediately rewarding to pick up a new book, but I promise it's far more rewarding to finish a tome.

In response to the last part: yes, I do feel those strong, spiritual emotions from the books I read. I cry an embarrassing amount when I read, and it brings me more pure joy than just about anything in my life.

This year i am sure to make it, desu.

In three currently. I am moving relatively quickly through JR. Then either Atlas Shrugged or The Instructions

I´ve read 37 books since the start of the year. Very varied in length. For some weeks i was really depressed and didn't really want to read any novesl or books, only short stories and poetry, though i'm not counting them.
I think it´s fine since last year i read 43, but because i started to get really into literature around april (i got a kindle) and was very busy in college. Now i have more free time.
I'm finishing Amsterdam stories by Nescio and Kosmos by Gombrowicz some between today and tomorrow
Anyways, here´s the compete list if anyone's interestd (i don't use good reads, but i'm considering it).

All the names
Waiting for Godot
The Sun Also Rises
Niebla
On the Heights of Despair
The Fall
Bodas de Sangre
Look homeward, Angel
Memorias Póstumas de Blas Cubas
A Doll's House
El reino de este mundo
El gaucho insufrible
La gaviota
The Obscene Bird of the Night
Ficciones de Brasil
Cuentos de mi mismo(cuentos)
Cartas a un joven poeta
Las ciudades invisibles
Las armas secretas(cuentos)
Todos los fuegos el fuego(cuentos)
El lugar sin límites
If on a winter's night a traveler
La invención de Morel
Disgrace
Madame Bovary
The Magic Mountain
The Sheltering Sky
El sentimiento trágico de la vida
The myth of sisyphus
Death of a Salesman
Zeno's conscience
Sobre Héroes y Tumbas
Moby Dick
Don Quijote
Demons
Society of Spectacle
The plague

Some are in spanish because i've read them in spanish and i don't remember or know the title in english. I read mostly in spanish unless the book was written in english

So what are challenge books? Just the books you plan to read for the year?

Atlas Shrugged is going to seem like utter shit to you after JR, just saying.

Here you go user
goodreads.com/user/year_in_books/2017

how was Stendahl?

Slow and steady.

Got a lot of shorter stuff up next so I will easily catch up on my 30 book goal (and surpass it).

How was Private Ivan Chonkin?

I'm doing alright so far.

How do you manage to make a screenshot so blurry?

got 3 books in and gave up in feb, went back to league of legends

I don't even know, my man

What have you cried to? The only thing that ever brought me close was The Metamorphosis.

>persepolis
you can finish it in half a day and it's still not worth it

What's the last book on there? Cover looks cool I guess

i liked it
made me laugh, made me cry

Be sure to add a date read when you create a review. That should fix it

it's going pretty slow, currently reading Venus in furs and the king in yellow

if you read the King in Yellow feel free to skip the second half (the last three or even four)
the appealing (weird/horror) aspect disappears after "Prophets' Paradise" and it becomes bohemian romance

I have head that, is it really that big of a tone shift?
also do you have any recommendations for book like that

The Sailor who fell from grace with the sea by Mishima

Once I am finished Milton's "Paradise Lost" should I read Dante's Divine Comedy or Milton's "Paradise Regained"

My reading list is: William Golding's works, Divine Comedy, Paradise Regained, bunch of historical texts, The Martyrdom of Man and maybe the rest of W.W. Reade's catalogue.

Paradise Regained is definitely inferior to the Divine Comedy, so if you're looking for sheer literary merit, go with Dante.

Allright thanks, I will read the illustrated version of the Divine Comedy next.

Do I need friends to make a goodreads account?

I'd like to be able to log what I read (more incentive to push myself)

But I dont want an account if its primary function is a social one

All these, if you haven't already.

These along with Animal Farm and The Death of WCW

Nah I have 0 friends on it, mostly because none of my real life friends read.

I'm having a slow year this year. I'm only really aiming for 20 books this year as I read 40 last year and I'm just wanting to free up my schedule. I'm also attempting to read two books at the same time which is slowing down my progress too (currently reading Malcolm X's Autobiography and John Yorke's Into The Woods which is an analysis on storytelling, structure, character development and why stories are necessary).

The books I've read so far this year have been enjoyable but nothing phenomenal, nothing to fall in love with.

Doing good, I really recommend American Psycho, it's become one of my favourites.

How did you like Blood Meridian?

What's been your favourite Dick novel so far?
I read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep recently and liked it. Any other works you recommend?

Great, but there are big differences between the early translation and the brand new one

done

I rated it 1 star. Probably my least favourite book I have ever read desu.

Honestly every book this year has been 4.5 - 5 stars for me. I am pretty generous with ratings, but I just really hated Blood Meridian. Corcob's prose was overrated as shit, I felt no attachment to the characters or immersion in the plot, and the ideas McCathy conveys in the book were uninteresting and offered nothing for me to learn or take away from reading it.

>Pa. Why are eggs breakfast?

>What.

>You can put bacon on lunch.

>Ye.

>But if you put eggs on stuff it becomes breakfast?

>The man spat and said the eggs are not for this world or from this world they come from the chicken but the chicken knows it not.

>He wiped his chin and spat.

my favourites are ubik, the three stigmata of palmer eldritch, and VALIS (although the more previous pdk books you've read before VALIS, the better i think)
and martian time-slip
of the ones i've read this year i especially liked the simulacra, it's loopy as hell and a lot of fun

Shit I just realized I haven't been tracking the books I read at all

mhh, I guess I'll hold back on reading it for now then, since I have plenty of interesting works I want to read.
I'll probably check it out when I've read through the rest of my backlog. Thanks.

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll take a look at those.

I hated Blood Meridian, but almost everyone else loves it, so you should probably take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Blood meridian is fantastic and his description reads like... a Veeky Forums meme

Currently read Le Morte Darthur.

It is great if you consider that I have a job, a wife, a daughter, go to university and gym.
Reading in the train is cool

u wot m8

lots of short stories?

Why do you guys even bother to use Goodreads?

it's not that much trouble
it's just a way to record what i've read (and also to post on Veeky Forums threads like this because why not)

Lets me keep track of stuff.

I keep an .odt in my Dropbox. Why would I switch?

Because once you get done weeding out the plebs, and add people with good taste, it's the best place to talk about books. I have a few long, ongoing conversations with a few people who are far more knowledgeable than I about books. A few have even sent me rare books that I was having trouble finding, and a consider a few of them legitimate friends (as much as someone online can be a friend.) I don't have people to talk about books with, and it's nice to be able to talk to people that are experts on the subject (and a few of then are)

I realize now that I used the word "few" a few too many times in that post. Phoneposter, forgive me.

no one's asking you to

I don't care whether or not you switch.

>reading to reach some arbitrary number
>not reading for pleasure
Why do americans ruin everything good and righteous?

That's not what I meant, dipshit.

is it possible to enjoy reading and also enjoy reaching arbitrary numbers?

Please don't switch.

How were the Undset novels?

Yeah I'll be reading Psycho; I'll be reading everything on the list.

thank you!

It's a nice sorta break from hard lit. I enjoy its story

Eileen is so much fun! The protagonist is really goofy.

You should check out Lud-in-the-Mist by Hope Mirrlees.

emilybarton.blogspot.com/2009/06/youve-got-to-read-this-lud-in-midst-by.html

>comic books
Those don't count.

Did you read the entirety of New Sun?

Incredible. Like if Graham Greene wrote a norse edda

>tfw read over 50 books last year, not including rereads
>got depression and only have read about 5 so far this year
I'll catch up with you guys, I swear.

The Blue and Brown Books by Ludwig Wittgenstein
Four Discourses Against the Arians by Athanasius of Alexandria
The Violent Bear It Away by Flannery O'Connor
Writings by Athenagoras of Athens
Man and the State by Jacques Maritain
The First and Second Apologies by Justin Martyr
Dialogue with Trypho by Justin Martyr
Philosophical Investigations by Ludwig Wittgenstein
A History of Philosophy, Vol. 4 by Frederick Charles Copleston
The Plague by Albert Camus
Meditations and Devotions by John Henry Newman
The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat and Other Clinical Tales by Oliver Sacks
Butcher's Crossing by John Williams
Ethics and Politics by Alasdair MacIntyre
Saved in Hope by Pope Benedict XVI
Summa Contra Gentiles by Thomas Aquinas
Demian by Hermann Hesse
Apologia Pro Vita Sua by John Henry Newman
Discourse on Inequality by Jean-Jacques Rousseau
God Is Love by Pope Benedict XVI
Apostolic Fathers III. by Anonymous
Where is the new theology leading us by Reginald Garrigou-Lagrange
Last Testament by Pope Benedict XVI
The Master of Mankind by Aaron Dembski-Bowden
Apostolic Fathers II. by Anonymous
Apostolic Fathers I. by Ignatius of Antioch
Democracy in America by Alexis de Tocqueville
A History of Philosophy, Vol. 3 by Frederick Charles Copleston
The Essential Schopenhauer by Arthur Schopenhauer
The Culture Industry by Theodor W. Adorno The Metaphysics by Aristotle
Diary of Saint Maria Faustina Kowalska by Maria Faustina Kowalska
Edith Stein by Edith Stein
The Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe

1/2

2/2

I don't get how you guys do this. If I read through a book too fast I have trouble remembering what was said in it later.

i dont really care about remembering

NEET life must be nice