Rate my haul /leet/

Rate my haul /leet/

upsidedown/10

but actually, are you just getting into philosophy or something? I read mediations when I was -2 years old.

5/10

1337/10 eksde

tocqueville is the reddest of redpills.

Solid. 8/10.

all good books, but i'm going to give you a 0/10 for posting a picture of them asking for validation

r8 my haul /leet/

>the hidden battles to collect your data and control your world

how do i take alarmist titles like this seriously and not automatically assume the book is biased shit

Maybe do some basic research.
>Bruce Schneier is the son of Martin Schneier, a Brooklyn Supreme Court judge. He grew up in Flatbush, attending P.S. 139 and Hunter High School.[6] After receiving a physics bachelor's degree from the University of Rochester in 1984,[7] he went to American University in Washington, D.C. and got his master's degree in computer science in 1988.[8] He was awarded an honorary Ph.D from the University of Westminster in London, England in November 2011. The award was made by the Department of Electronics and Computer Science in recognition of Schneier's 'hard work and contribution to industry and public life'.

>Schneier was a founder and chief technology officer of BT Managed Security Solutions, formerly Counterpane Internet Security, Inc.
What bias are you worried about?

Is Aurelias the most overrated stoic?

Upside down 10 means you get a 01.

any bias. credentials are pretty worthless at presuming the quality of someone's work: he could just as well argue that data collection is the pinnacle of the free market we should all strive toward.

just that titles that exist solely to grab a potential buyer's attention instantly turn me off and make me cynical toward the potential of the work. not saying it's justified or not

>After having thus successively taken each member of the community in its powerful grasp and fashioned him at will, the supreme power then extends its arm over the whole community. It covers the surface of society with a network of small complicated rules, minute and uniform, through which the most original minds and the most energetic characters cannot penetrate, to rise above the crowd. The will of man is not shattered, but softened, bent, and guided; men are seldom forced by it to act, but they are constantly restrained from acting. Such a power does not destroy, but it prevents existence; it does not tyrannize, but it compresses, enervates, extinguishes, and stupefies a people, till each nation is reduced to nothing better than a flock of timid and industrious animals, of which the government is the shepherd.

>I have always thought that servitude of the regular, quiet, and gentle kind which I have just described might be combined more easily than is commonly believed with some of the outward forms of freedom, and that it might even establish itself under the wing of the sovereignty of the people.

Okay, so what do you think he has to gain by being biased against big data? Do you think all these EFF and anti-DRM activists are doing it to benefit themselves?
When you have people who once worked for the USDoD or other government data collection agencies, highly educated experts in the field coming forward and trying to warn people about it, they're probably not just blowing hot air. Even if they can think of no better way to inform than using attention-grabbing titles.

rape my haul

i'd snuggle with it if you weren't a fucking sideways poster

>rape my haul

Ciardi beat me to it.

Why is your Meditations so thicc?

There's one thing I don't understand. Why out yourself, so obviously, in the store like that? I mean I already knew but Jesus you don't have to go that far. That's weird as fuck. Anyway just felt like saying this.

what the fuck are you talking about

I saw this autist buying these books today and they made clear they were from Veeky Forums

Teh/ten

so when you go shopping for books you pay attention to what other people are buying and try to come up with an idea of what kind of person they are so you can potentially admonish them for browsing the same literature forum that you do and not secretly buying all their books online? and they're the autists?

7/10

>penguin

>meditations
when will this fucking meme die already

>Ciardi
>Bad

first hall, excited!!

What is the volume with the fucked spine?

Also how much did you pay for that Folger's Hamlet, because they're so dirt cheap new that I feel like almost any price for one in that condition is too much.

penguin classics are shit-tier

y tho

The people who complain about Penguin are the people who buy books as fashion accessories, just ignore him.

With the exception, of course, of the ones that have eg. bad translations. Although Penguin generally manages to meander their way in to at least a passable translation.

>Agamben
nice

Never buy penguin

This. Oxfords are infinitely better in quality and aesthetics.

Ban yourself

Just got these today. Bottom book is treasure island.
Which one I start with?

>not reading tocqueville and similar entry level stuff in the womb so you can go through the "marxist to accelerationist to landian spooposophy to ethno nationalistic-phase " by the age of 4 and then get an early start on working on becoming the ultra AI basilisk killing all humanity that has ever lived and will ever live over and over again in five hundred simulated realities

Q U I X O T E

Got these from a Barnes and Noble today.

those would be so aesthetic if that hangover diarrhea brown was black or white

dude you know you can just buy a complete works right?

>no Coriolanus

what is Marcus Aurelius about?

i'm what they call an "Existentialist"....not that my parents understand

his meditations

literally google it

the stranger is kindling tier

Why do people unironically suggest this? Nobody fucking wants to carry around a shitty poorly bound 1500 page book if the option of smaller volumes exist.

T-they probably wouldn't...

The Odyssey before Quixote for obvious reasons

I had to read like half of these for middle and high school.

What country/state do you live in?

>Reading Shakespeare in public

Agreed. I hate compilations. I have a compilation of Poe's complete works sitting in my basement that I bought and never read.

First haul! I'm currently finishing High School so I wanted to hit up some of the books you guys keep reccomending. How are these translations? What order should I read?

lol, what'd OP do exactly

Picked these up today for 10$ at a local sale.

>barnes & noble books

It doesn't fucking matter, its STILL a worse format.

I just started reading Thus Spoke Zarathustra a few days ago. I'm surprised by how appealing Nietzsche's philosophy is to me. I didn't think it would be so convincing.

IL, USA

Got em all from goodwill since I knew school just let out.

Ignore him,there is no way he was at the same location on the same day at the same time as me, the OP

No it doesn't.

the summerpseud is here

this is my may haul

you know his shit is free on the internet right

Have you started reading Malcolm X yet? If so, is it interesting?

Typical Veeky Forums pseud, doesn't even annotate.

No, he gets proper consideration.

Bump. I want to see more hauls.

Me 2

Rate my haul bois

meme'd/10

Here's the haul in finality. Finished at just under 75$ which was my budget, so I'm happy. Blood Meridian cost the most, and it for some reason bugged me that the store had that, pretty horses, child of god, three copies of the road, but no suttree. They did have Melville's Typee that I wanted but it would've put me over budget. Still can't find under the volcano used anywhere though.
>starting with blood meridian. made up my mind

Forgot pic, whoops.
>fourth down on left is five dialogs of Plato translated by Jowett
>Stevenson is still treasure island

I guess I should also say that above Plato is Aurelius' meditations. Pic is shit quality

Fixed it for ya

Solid, except for DFW. Good choice of translation for W&P.