File types for kindle

should i be converting pub files to mobi or azw3?

mobi is fine desu

azw3 is better

that burger looks awful

Convert your kindle to something that reads ePubs instead of rewarding Amazon for their proprietary stunt

Can you lose shit in conversion? Like epub to mobi back to epub? I converted everything to mobi but now I have a kobo.

Yes, definitely. At the very least you will have lost/corrupted formatting, which can result in text (headings in particular) that are at least partly rendered off-screen

That's the triple truth, Ruth

how do you do this?

i've googled searched but everythin I get is about file conversions: mobi to epub and such

I've found that whenever I convert an epub to pdf that there's no page margins, that's the only thing that really annoys me. The other formatting issues are minor.

Well shit. I need books now.

the hell's azw3. I've only ever used mobis and pdf's occasionally.

azw3, mostly because they are editable in Calibre. pretty sure mobi are not.

he's being sarcastic, telling you to buy a different device...

just convert to azw3

They are a newer Amazon format, based on epub.

>just convert to azw3
Almost forgot, I always recommend that you check the 'embed font' options under "Look and Feel" of the Calibre conversion window.
I like to read books in the font they were published in, instead of Bookerley or Baskerville for everything.
It took me awhile of playing around with Calibre, but now I want to have sex with it, it's so useful. I've gotten good with regular expressions, writing little replaces to clean up shitty ebook formatting/conversions gone wrong. And I love the organization and control over metadata. Fucking awesome.

Does that mean that it converts from epub better? My Hemingway comes out slightly autistic in Calibre so I think I'll give it a try

agreed.
source: fatass

Do you know of a good resource for learning regular expressions? They seem like they'd be so fucking useful.

And that's the double double truth, Baby Ruth

I have had crashes on updated kindles with mobi, but never with azw3, esp if there are images.

pdf doesnt count, thats converting an image that may or may not be encoded with text to xml

azw3 to epub and back is lossless

go here and fuck around and go through the tutorials. it's really not that hard to learn

regexr.com

Thank you. I kinda understand them now after reading the page on calibres site/wiki. I'm gonna check what you suggested now.