What are some books that are genuinely funny?

What are some books that are genuinely funny?

YOUR diary desu (to be quite honest)

Journey to the end of the night

Euthydemus

Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy had me LOLing (laughing out loud). If you like funny books like me you should head over to this cool website I found, Reddit. It has a great community of likeminded individuals called "/r/books"

The Ridiculous Race by Steve Hely and Vali Chandrasekaran. Funniest book ever written

saki's short stories was recommended here last week. I bought them. They are funny.

One Fat Englishman.

dont be so cynical desu
i love hitchhikers guide

To be honest, Plague had it's moments for me.

The miller's tale and the reve's tale from the Canterbury tales by Chaucer.

Shakespeare's comedies and a few of his tragedies (Hamlet and Romeo and Juliet are full of great comedy)

Twelfth Night is legit hilarious

Catch-22 has great war humor
The Master and Margarita is excellent and elicited more than a couple belly laughs out of me

These two.
Also, Gombrowicz, Flann O'Brien and the Pynchmeister himself.

Candide and Don Quixote both made me laugh quite a bit. Notes from the Underground is very funny, but I don't remember actually laughing.

Foucault's Pendulum, by Umberto Eco
if you're into the occult is very funny in a cosmic sense

Funnier in context

>a young boy plays a girl who masquerades as a boy who looks identical to her brother (the actors actual brother) and somehow gets his (her?) crush to fall in love with him even though they are both boys as far as the crush knows but the boy reveals he was a girl (being played by a boy) afterall so it works out

And then Malvolio is just like "I will get you back." And it ends. I was the only one laughing in 10th grade, fuckin normies

American Psycho.
I laughed out loud multiple times. Especially when he is at dinner with his girlfriend, but he lost his appetite and is poking his meat. He doesn't want to dirty his handerkiech, so he reaches down and grabs her thigh to wipe it off on her pantyhose, and she thinks he is being naughty and starts flirting with him.

Some of Kafka's shorter stories are pretty hilarious. A Common Confusion comes to mind.

This and the already mentioned Don Quixote and Journey to the End of the Night are the three funniest books ever written.

But that book is really depressing.

Same. You don't always have to be an edgy contrarian

Which part was funny, I thought it was pretty depressing desu.

Moby Dick can catch you off guard and give you a good chuckle.

I thought Lolita was pretty damn funny. The conflict between Humbert Humbert's thoughts and what he says combined with his general vexation with anything that isn't little girls had me laughing quite a few times.

Christopher Moore, hands down.
Fool is my favorite

Catch-22, Three Men in a Boat

crying of the lot 49

I don't care what you say, P.G. Wodehouse wrote some hilarious books.

Some of the offhand comments are amazing.

>(picnic, lightning)

I thought it was hilarious that he spends months planning to barge into an officer and gets scared of doing it everytime. When he finally does it and has that rushing adrenaline and has to go and sit down in his apartment, I found absolutely hilarious. Also how he believes himself to be better than everyone. The Underground Man is /r9k/ 200 years before it was created.

Don Quixote made me laugh quite a lot. Cervantes knew how to play with absurdity and metaphysical humour.

>"genuinely funny"
"The Life of Gargantua and of Pantagruel" by Rabelais

I Am a Cat by Natsume Soseki

the legend of the 10 elemental masters is pretty good

Ulysses
Finnegans Wake
Shakespeare's comedies

a confederacy of dunces
death on the installment plan

literally LOL in multiple passages, then immediately reread them and continue to laugh

Juvenal, Bulgakov, Chekhov, Gogol, Hasek, Lem, Voltaire, Moliere, Flaubert, Brecht, Grass, Tucholsky, Jerome K. Jerome, Waugh, Wodehouse

> tfw gotta go sea-voyaging or else i start knocking off people's hats in public