What do the scenes look like in your imagination?

How do you imagine the characters? The settings? Do they have distinctive voices or do you read all lines equally?

I imagine anime girls acting out the scenes on a stage with cheap, interchangeable sets being wheels on and off stage behind them.

Moby Dick is much more fun when you imagine timid, awkward acting by the girl playing Ishmael on the bow of the paper mache ship shouting at the girl in the stuffed whale costume.

For most realist or sentimental novels I have a portfolio so-to-speak of character designs in my mind of what people look like and then choose someone from there to visualize in a story depending on their description and modify them accordingly. Admittedly most of these designs come from movie sets or paintings I admire. Though I will say for pomo and poetry my character designs in my head are radically different from the usual and more than once I've literally visualized Pynchon himself in one of this books and Keats in one of his poems. The same goes for what the settings look like; I have a few "bases" of run-down 19th century cities and castles and such in my head beforehand. Though for "framing" a particular scene in my head I purposely try to visualize them in interesting or unique angles like I'm sort of a director

Bump

They're all sort of voids that take form into something that's more of an impression than a concrete image as informed by either the descriptions or the sense I get from the dialogue. It's often very fluid and amorphous.

This, if you are consciously "imagining" "scenes" you are a fucking pleb.

>casting your story
>choosing locations
>choosing perspective or 'camera angle'
how are you guys so pleb? Literature is not about specific imagery. You are not supposed to be resolving language into comic strips or film storyboards, you are supposed to experience pure thought and all possible impressions unbounded simultaneously.

Underrated

Most people start watching movies before reading books so it's quite a common thing.

I wonder how people visualized before film, I think in a way seeing books as akin to films has done more harm than good.

in my mind its a big fucking mess of anime girls, medieval paintings, old movies, real life people, real life locations, sculptures, lsd trips etc etc etc

I'll have to do this now

How does one imagine plays? I always switch between seeing it as an audience member to a 3D scene.

I'm the same as this. If most of Veeky Forums unironically imagines anime characters it explains a lot.

I just think about the actions and enjoy them. I have watched much more anime than live-action film, but I never visualize anime characters or scenes. My visualisation tends to be extremely realistic instead, as if always seen with my own eyes, and I also feel things like temperature, wind, things like weight and texture. But it is more interesting to follow what the author has written rather than follow my secondary imagination.

I visualize that everyone is ripped and poses like Jojo BA, I just imagine everything that is happening is way over the top. Makes reading very fun

THAT FEEL WHEN APHANTASIA

I really try to imagine what they look like and the exact manner in which they move and speak. Part of this is because I usually wait to give characters names for a long time, so it forces me to understand them in the context of their traits instead of just a name. However, sometimes I don't know how they might speak, probably because I haven't fully fleshed-out the story yet, so I'll just imagine what they might be saying as a paraphrase.

I imagined some parts of Foundation as basically JoJo episodes, as it's pretty much a series of ruse cruises.

Not quite imagining a scene, but some political philosophy actually reads pretty well as expanded shonen anime speeches; Bastiat sounds like he's about to take on the Anti-Spirals at times.

>all these anime posts

Holy fuck lit is autistic. Always knew it. Why do you even read books?

>Why do you even read books?

this. and I mean it. not because of the anime thing, but if you are tying everything you read to a concrete visual reference you are constricting yourself and your own ability to experience the text.

while this can work with novels, i think the filmification of reading explains the significant loss of interest in poetry today, that is to say, one is unable to tie a poem to specific scenes, camera angles, or actors and does not understand how to read more deeply.

How do you read more deeply?

wear a turtleneck and dark shades inside

Even without the anime, how did you not figure out we were autistic? We spend all day arguing about the scratching of men who have been dead for hundreds or thousands of years with no academic weight behind our arguments besides getting the better of another user.

Why did no one answer this. It's a good question.

Full productions, man. I wanted to be a filmmaker all my life. I'm not going to imagine some shoestring budget deal in my head.

Looks too much like a weeb thread no doubt

Everything you just claimed reading is about is contained within the manner of reading you're trying to disparage. Of course people are going to think of abstract concepts and emotions and ideas in terms of pure thought, and every impression you could have reading your way will be contained within a combination of pure thought and imagined space and sensation. Anything that doesn't fit in those categories is trivial to imagine in a way that interferes with neither. You're actually trying to talk down to people who get everything you get out of reading and more.

I don't think it's mostly because of movies. I think it's because your entire understanding of the universe is based on your senses and they're crucial to the brain understanding and contextualizing many kinds of new information. It's also a fact that people day dream 3D multi-sensory scenarios. The idea that no literature is intended to deliberately invoke and control that amazing and entertaining thing the human brain can do is retarded.

It's understandable not to do it doesn't feel natural or you're one of those people who are literally mentally incapable of forming a mental image(actually surprised me when I learned that this is common) but trying to condescend to people who do when, if anything, you're getting less of an experience, is extremely pleb. There's nothing more pleb than being inferior but believing that you're superior purely because you like the way you do things.

I don't bother with visualizations. I simply imagine papa Tolstoy reading to me