How does one reconcile the OT with the NT? How do Christians view/use the OT in their theology...

How does one reconcile the OT with the NT? How do Christians view/use the OT in their theology? I think all of the philosophizing Paul did in Romans went over my head desu.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=sDQQ0U8FHAE
youtube.com/watch?v=4r2m_cffRjI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

fuck your thread, how are the two options blue/black or white/gold? it's clearly blue/gold

Well, I haven't read either but I've heard there are a few reconciliations, or at least relations between the two

Like the amount of days Jesus was dead (or out alone fasting) matching the amount of days Jonah was trapped in a whale. These similarities and others serving as callbacks, and utilizing special numbers I guess, that are often repeated through either book.

I mean to read both, but I found myself going through the first pages of genesis very slowly, as the book I was reading had tons of notes on each verse, a lot of info to take in.

>not subjecting the entire book to anthropological and esoteric interpretation

I HAVE NEVER EVER BEEN ABLE TO SEE ANYTHING OTHER THAN WHITE AND GOLD

WHAT

THE

FUCK

Try looking at it from the bottom up.

just read all of the epistles

your eyes are broken (fact, not opinion)

It's weird, when this picture first circulated I could see nothing but white and gold. But now I can only see black and blue.

R.J. Rushdoony was right, we gotta apply the WHOLE of old testament case law in the modern day ASAP before western civilization collapses

Theology is barely biblical. I like the fullness that is across the two books, often the same person will try to separate them from each other and talk about an old testament god and a new testament god and then call Christianity life denying, but looked at as a whole the book is filled with life

OT God is the demiurge

t. knower

It's only possible by taking the "problematic" OT events at face value and then using that as an interpretive lens for the NT. See Reformed theology.

OT is digesting God and holding it in

NT is shitting Him out

It's literally lampshaded in the book, christ's flesh, blood wine and all.

A lot of Christians just see the OT testament as a prequel to the NT and read Jesus into every verse, so they've got theological reasons for everything that happens in it.

For example, most of the Old Testament has no concept of heaven or hell. The dead all go to Sheol, which is either a neutral underworld or simply death. The closest it gets is the resurrection of the dead when God restores Israel to full glory, but it's cryptic about what it actually means, resurrection of the dead was still being debated by jews in Jesus' time.

Forgot to add: in the Christian view, this is one of the reason Jesus was necessary, he had to come and establish the plan of salvation, the Old Covenant and old afterlife was fulfilled and superceded by the New Covenant which involved a paradise realm the righteous will live in until the apocalypse when the heavenly kingdom (or an entirely new Earth) is created and they dwell in the new Jerusalem. Catholics even believe in the 'harrowing of hell' where Jesus goes down into the underworld after his resurrection and retrieves the souls of the righteous to take them to heaven.

*after his crucifixion

They're both about mimetic desire and sacrificial violence.

It's really not hard to see the continuity. Genesis to Joseph to Gospels...it's all the same, really.

Look at the shawl thing on the top right and tell yourself it's blue.

The dress is blue and gold. This is not debatable, and if you see anything else you are of inferior stock.

Fucking thank you, finally someone else says it.

Your question is very vague so I'll give a vague answer. Many of the rules and liturgical regulations within the Old Testament that Christians today don't follow are contextual. I.e., they're specific rules for the kingdom and temple. The kingdom (as it existed) and the temple no longer exist so those rules no longer apply. They're recorded in the bible mostly for posterity's sake. The commands that Christians do follow from the Old Testament are clearly given for all times and places, so they'll never pass away. They're not contextual.

Some rules are actually in an odd half and half area, such as the prohibition for adultery. Christians today follow this rule but they don't follow the prescribed punishment (stoning). This is because the rule against adultery is reinforced in other scripture like in the New Testament. So the command against adultery in Leviticus is validated with other sources but the prescribed punishment is not, so it passes away which is why Christians don't stone people.

Check out these videos for more:

youtube.com/watch?v=sDQQ0U8FHAE

youtube.com/watch?v=4r2m_cffRjI

What I was taught as a child was that the OT was the law of the Jews. Jesus came and claimed to be the son of God, and he sacrificed himself in order to fulfill the sacrifice requirement of the law. So, because Jesus was the ultimate sacrifice Christians no longer have to abide by the OT laws.

I can't tell if people are trolling or not. I've only ever seen black and blue.

In past centuries, the "OT" was more practiced independently by Christian groups, in 21st century religious politics the "OT" is basically entirely controlled by the Israel nationalist/Zionist/Hebrew roots Christians movement. For better of for worse depending on your perspective.

I think a lot of Christians read the "OT" but don't really memorize much, apart from religious leaders, who do and are mostly part of the Judeo-Christian, Israel and the West together movement.

Fuck you piece of shit, it's white/golden

You're fucking retarded and stupid.

Bro, anyone with a shred of intelligence knows it's white and gold. Don't worry, you're just surrounded by morons.

It's gokd and white-gold

Idiots

What is this supposed to tell me?

its black and blue

How easily distracted Veeky Forums posters are.

First of all, the discrepancy is largely exaggerated.
Now, there are differences, some in which Jesus knowingly defies OT law, but that can be easily chalked up to:
-St Paul's description of the "Death of the Law". If you're too lazy go through the letters Nietzche made a comment on it that's pretty good if you ignore the blatant anti-christianity and bullshit psychology and I'll drop it in a snip.
-"Like we passed the law correctly and time distorted it a bit sorry"

Light resistant material I guess

-100/10

it's white and golden

>christ says that he is there to fulfill the law of moses
wow that was so tough
it's important due to teachings and stories, but the real reason is 1) evidence that Jesus was the Christ, and 2) understanding how He was the fulfillment of the law of moses.

It's blue and very dark gold.

only correct answer in this thread, and of course it's from somebody whose actually participated in religion, and didn't just convert from dawkinsism to jordan peterson horseshit because muh sjws.

The whole thing is a bottom up story, thousands of years of written history, poetry, parables and guidelines that somehow comes together to tell the greatest story ever told. The OT and NT give context to each other. The OT presents God's law, but the people kept failing him. The NT presents the true fulfillment of the law in Christ.

why don't ya read for yourself it ya fuck?

White and gold is most aesthetic anyways.

It's all a big fucking mess because the overwhelming majority of people, at best, only listen to about half of Jesus's teachings.

Jesus said that he represented a new covenant between Man and God, under which God agreed to stop being such a cunt, negating pretty much all of the OT's rules. The core of what the actual historical Jesus taught was self-sacrifice, love, and charity for the good of all those around you, including (especially) sinners and those who hate you. The root of Christ's cult doesn't require God, though, he might have even knowingly taken advantage of his mother's lie in order to give his teachings a greater chance of taking hold. True Christianity is about the betterment of society through selflessness- the religion itself emulates Christ by crucifying itself for the good of those who disregard and despise it.

It's a lie detector, and a brainlet one, I tell you that.

I saw it white/gold first, then it became blue/black, and I can't switch it back!!!

What is this witchcraft!?

OT is yin NT is yang

They're both steaming bullshit praise Allah hail Satan I'm suicidal

The perceived color of things depends on the background

But the dress is black and blue on both sides

mods are behind this

this

The "actual" color (in terms of the color of the pixels on the screen composing that pic) is a very light hue of blue approaching white, and a darkish golden. In one sense, people who see it as white and gold are "more correct" because that's what the literal colors are closer to, without your brain adjusting for lighting or background.

On the other hand, people who see black and blue are also, strangely, "more correct" in another sense because that's the actual color of the dress in normal lighting.

is most right in terms of what it literally looks like. In real life, it's a black and blue dress under an intense yellow lighting, so people who see it as black and blue probably are using more the part of their brains/eyes that adjust for lighting to tell what color something is.

t. Siddhartha Gautama

>why don't ya read for yourself it ya fuck?
I have read it. I need someone to tell me how to think about it the correct way.

What does that lowercase t mean?

regards
It's Finnish apparently. Before you asked I just knew it as a meme.

So the summer finally begins...