I know this board hates poetry but it's time for you guys to get some semblance of patricianhood beat into you...

I know this board hates poetry but it's time for you guys to get some semblance of patricianhood beat into you. Join us as we go through the major works - poems, maybe a couple of the famous essays - of TS Eliot. We'll cover all the basics like Meester Prufrock, The Desolate Land, and Some Quartets and some more in between as we/you see fit.

Recommended you have some basic familiarity with poetry up to the early 20th century, including Shakespeare, Dante, basic idea of the Romantics so you know what he's reacting against, basic idea of Classicism and the Metaphysics so you know what he admired, etc. Though this is by no means necessary.

discord.gg/S4TfHkH

Don't be a Redditor. Take the Eliotpill today.

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/document/d/1G-6L0KcAViKtIp8utIf_G-7p4DXq5IfQwYqK7b3NMic/
uwyo.edu/numimage/eliot_metaphysical_poets.htm
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Bump.

How come every goddamn time I enter discord no one's in the room.

Eliot's was a crypto-romantic.

discord is like IRC with persistent messages. people are "online" all the time and you can see past messages

>I know this board hates poetry
No but this board hates discrod

>says he's going to teach me poetry
>posts a discord link and leaves

Why is 'containment' far more popular than all the other rooms combined?

This is a Bloom board.
Eliot sucks.

These are the people in the discord for anyone who cares.
docs.google.com/document/d/1G-6L0KcAViKtIp8utIf_G-7p4DXq5IfQwYqK7b3NMic/

what the fuck is that you faggot

Did Bloom hate Eliot? If so, why?

Eliot said some anti-Semitic things, that's pretty much it

i dont think he hates him, he just thinks he is overrated

Basically his neo-christian influence on literary criticism and supposed antisemitism. Even Bloom himself admits Eliot's a great poet and he's biased though.

romantics

eliot and pound had a sort of monopoly on early 20C literature in london, i.e., they curated modernism.

what the fuck is with you kids and your obsession with no poetry except TS Eliot? jesus, the amount of times people recommend eliot to people who have no background in poetry really makes me wonder how half of you even managed to get dressed in the morning. try rubbing two brain cells together for once and you might realize why starting with TS fucking Eliot of all people is a stupid idea

What do you mean? Bloom was an unyielding defender of romanticism.

exactly.

Prufrock's pretty great for a beginner though.

i was assuming peopel whod be interested in a deep dive of eliot would have a grounding in basic poetry already

A place where you can actually discuss about poetry? Nah, keep that far away from Veeky Forums.

joined earlier and it is just some sort of /mu/cord most posting nigger music

so if you are worried about poetry discussion, then don't lol

>go to the offtopic channel
>deliberately ignore the pages of eliot discussion

nice

also /mu/posting is banned on this server

>here, let me teach you some valuable things
>come on discord because i'm not going to write it out here so people can read it later on

Amazing.

Which metaphysics did he admire?

donne obviously. he just generlaly liked the "metaphysicals" in general, noting that the term is more descriptive than anything else

>what would have been the fate of the "metaphysical" had the current of poetry descended in a direct line from them, as it descended in a direct line to them? They would not, certainly, be classified as metaphysical. The possible interests of a poet are unlimited; the more intelligent he is the better; the more intelligent he is the more likely that he will have interests: our only condition is that he turn them into poetry, and not merely meditate on them poetically. A philosophical theory which has entered into poetry is established, for its truth or falsity in one sense ceases to matter, and its truth in another sense is proved. The poets in question have, like other poets, various faults. But they were, at best, engaged in the task of trying to find the verbal equivalent for states of mind and feeling. And this means both that they are more mature, and that they wear better, than later poets of certainly not less literary ability.

he likes crenshaw and herbert and many others. read his essay on the metaphysics, it's quite brief

uwyo.edu/numimage/eliot_metaphysical_poets.htm

of course you have to keep in mind that eliot only admires the great masers like donne who were able to properly cirumvent the "dissociation of sensibility," which he felt did great harm to poetry. that is, to separate the intellect with the experience. you caan see this reflected in a line in Four Quartets where he says
>we had the experience but missed the meaning
among other places.

a good, if some what tongue-in-cheek treatment, of eliot's attitude towards the metaphysics can be found in his poem Whispers of Immortality as well