Is modern Greek worth learning?

Is modern Greek worth learning?

Anju is turkish.

I imagine it would set you up for eventually learning classical and finding a job in Greece, but in terms of marketable skills I think Chinese is the way to go.

You can argue until the cows come home about which language has the most "aesthetic value"

yes, modern greek is really similar to ancient greek in grammar especially koine greek. If you want to read Homeric Greek you will need to study some more but it's worth it

>modern greek is really similar to ancient greek in grammar especially koine greek

No it's not.

Yellow fever is mortal sin

how come? Every greek I talked to said they could easy read the NT

They can't *easily* read the NT in Koine. They would need to practice/learn ancient Greek grammar first.

Obviously it's easier for them than for foreigners, but it's not like their language has stayed the same for 2000 years.

I know this first-hand, because I had Greek at university and we had a Greek guy in class who barely understood anything of a general text in Ancient Greek in the beginning apart from specific nouns and verbs.

>Greek guy in class who barely understood anything of a general text in Ancient Greek in the beginning apart from specific nouns and verbs.
Yeah, that is what they told me about Homeric Greek and not really Koine Greek

Homeric Greek is peculiar. It's a mixture of different dialects of Ancient Greece and it doesn't use definitive articles at all. (He doesn't use the word Basileus for King, he says Anax, for example).

Is it true that Modern Greek is essentially Koine with minor changes?

I've also noticed that Greeks themselves feel especially proudly about Koine (as opposed to Ancient) and consider it some kind of ideal realistic Greek, but that could be my confirmation bias.

OP's pic isn't Anju, if that's what you're implying.

Apparently it will help you build a solid base to help increase your fluency for the other stages of the Greek language. Considering how bad Greece is atm you can probably expect another disaphoria, so you can communicate with the new arrivals.

There are a great deal of interesting modern Greek writers as well.

Yeah but he can read it. That's more than we can say about us and Old English.

qt

Source?

WHOM

Tsuruko

>no
Why? Because no matter what time you live in, it's always most beneficial to learn the most common languages of the day. Any other language is a luxury to learn, but not really all that useful.

She's half Chinese half Australian

>Yeah but he can read it.

I literally just said he couldn't. Learn to read yourself.

Anzu-jaama?

I meant the source for "yellow fever is a mortal sin", but thanks.

>Yeah but he can read it. That's more than we can say about us and Old English.
But an intelligent English speaker will be able to recognise specific nouns and verbs as well.in old English. The Latin, from which Old English heavily borrows is often decipherable and having a basic understanding of the phonology of OE you can pick up some of the words that have descended all the way down to us. That doesn't mean we can read it, and it doesn't mean a modern Greek speaker can read the New Testament.

He didn't ask what language was the most beneficial or useful to learn. Even if he did you have no idea for what purpose he wants to learn the language so you have no way of knowing what beneficial and useful even mean in this context. You could say it's more useful to learn German than Old English but if you never plan on traveling to a German speaking country, don't plan on meeting or talking to any Germans and you are interested in the evolution of the English language how does it make any sense to talk of German as more beneficial?

Did someone say anzu?
This is now an anzu thread.
Post anzu.

Greek here.
What do you want it for?

/pol/ told me so. They blamed Eliot Rodger on miscegenation. I just want a qt Korean gf but don't want eternal damnation desu

Korean QTs are more than likely modified with surgery. Unless you mean Best Korea.

But why is that a disqualification? Won't we all be modified by surgery in the future?