Vargas Llosa is the GOAT South American writer

Vargas Llosa is the GOAT South American writer.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Near_to_the_Wild_Heart
youtube.com/watch?v=OyE4lzCJ6Hg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I'm sorry that isn't Clarice Lispector.

Only because he won a Nobel, blah blah blah

Clarice Lispector may have lived in South America, but she was ethnically and culturally Jewish.

Btw, while I like Vargas Llosa, the great South American writers for me are Jorge Luis Borges and Machado de Assis.

And so she belongs in the category of Israel? Ukraine?

Squabbling competition threads. Veeky Forums has more in common with /sp/ these days.

That's not nice, butters. My threads are invariably constructive for Veeky Forums.

-z

>When being an edgelord goes too far
What did this faggot just post?

She belongs in the rootless cosmopolitan category.

>culturally Jewish
How so? Or more to the point, how is being culturally Jewish somehow incompatible with being culturally South American? I'm genuinely curious.

>t. never read anything by her but /pol/ memes anyway

Tell us more about ZOG you spooked stormfag

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Near_to_the_Wild_Heart

>Near to the Wild Heart was greeted as a revolution in Brazilian literature, though it was very rarely compared to the work of any Brazilian writer. Critics mentioned James Joyce, Virginia Woolf, Katherine Mansfield, Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Marcel Proust, André Gide, and Charles Morgan. The reason seems to be that its language sounded completely un-Brazilian, as the poet Lêdo Ivo wrote: “Clarice Lispector was a foreigner. … The foreignness of her prose is one of the most overwhelming facts of our literary history, and even of the history of our language.”

Lispector was a Jewish author who wrote on Portuguese, there is absolutely nothing Brazilian in her work save the language and the scenario.

That's why she is appreciated in the West, while other Brazilian authors like Machado de Assis and Guimarães Rosa are ignored.

he's underrated imo, he won a Nobel and everybody hates him now, fuck them he's the goat

But that is just an opinion; Brazilian is incredibly multicultural and that poet calling her a foreigner and the article somehow positing an inherent difference between European lit and Brazilian lit is all a lot of opinion.

He is hated for political reasons, he managed to get himself despised by both the influential Latin American left (for being anti-communist) and the numerous right (for being anti-Fujimori).

No one hated Gabriel Garcia Marquez and José Saramago, even after they won their Nobels, because they had the correct political positions.

Write something about the guy or one of his books.

>He is hated for political reasons, he managed to get himself despised by both the influential Latin American left (for being anti-communist) and the numerous right (for being anti-Fujimori).
Well, he was an opposite candidte to Fujimori, so that's kinda of a given.
I think he's also somewhat despised because he's so revered, peope either get hyped too much before they read him, like to be contrarian, or think aonther author should get more acclaim. I see the same case with García Marquez. Probably Saramago too, but i really don't know
Also, another case similar to Vargas Llosa is Octavio Paz. He's so despised politically that people forget why he's a nobel laurate. They forget how great of a poet and essayist he was.

I'm not that well read in brazilian literature, but i'm pretty sure Machado do Assis is way more revered , and not ignored at all. He gets a lot of acclaimed form other latin american authors and also Harod Bloom.
Guimaraes Rosa probably isn't as popular, but i don't think he's ignored either.

>correct political positions

Faggot.

By the way, Vargas Llosa was more than a writer; he was a politician.

It's absolutely not an opinion that there are inherent differences between specific countries' literatures. In some places, the 'adventure fantasy' novel doesn't exist. In other places, there is no such thing as costumbrismo, and so on and so forth. Nothing wrong with accepting that, tbqh.

There is nothing inherently different in regional dialects, there is alterity but no real difference.

>Clarice Lispector may have lived in South America, but she was ethnically and culturally Jewish
My dude,
1) this is like saying Kazuo Ishiguro isn't a British writer
2) or like saying Woody Allen, Isaac Asimov, Paul Auster, Saul Bellow, and a great many more aren't American

I like him, but he stands in Borges and Marquez

Can we agree Feast of the Goat is his best?

I liked War at the End of the World, but I could not get into The Dream of the Celt (will try again) and Notes on the Death of Culture

No, Pantaleon y las visitadoras is.
The last book I read from him "los cuadernos de don Rigoberto" was fucking cringy. So no.

btw thread song.

youtube.com/watch?v=OyE4lzCJ6Hg

kek

>Can we agree Feast of the Goat is his best?

Yes.

>War at the end of the world

I'll probably read that one next, desu.

What else have you read by him?

Is this a latin american literature thread or only a Vargas Llosa shitposting general?
I want to discuss a book, I've tried before but it doesnt seems like much people have read it, anglo monolinguals are not invited because afaik it hasnt been translated

I read Who Killed Palomino Molero? and it seemed like a bog standard crime story. Maybe I missed the subtext.

>translations

this, borges is the all-time SA burro

fixed

borges es la cabra

The Time of the Hero (La ciudad y los perros)
Have you?

You missed the historical and the political subthemes/context, clearly is a novel who doesn't work for most of the foreigners.

I've only read the following:

>Green house
>Aunt Julia and the scriptwriter
>Bad girl
>Feast of the goat

I liked them all very much.

>War at the end of the world
>I'll probably read that one next

If you haven't already, read Rebellion in the Badlands, by Euclides da Cunha, first. It's the definitive account of the event, kind of the Bible of Brazil

So we're all in agreement that it's Borges then, right

But there is inherent difference in culture. British culture and US culture aren't identical - this much is evident, for example. The society you're a part of produces a given type of media as a default, that caters to its tastes. Books that soak in the culture they're a part of will drastically differ from books that are outside a country's literary specialties. That's what Ivo was saying about Lispector's work - she wasn't writing something based on the realities of Brazilian life (in contrast with say, My Sweet Orange Tree, to picka random example). She was writing something based on her own personal reality, which was quite distinct from her society's standard.

Don't bother with him, his "argument" is Jewish=outsider and will never "represent a country other than Israel" its pathetic argument and rooted in retarded conspiracy theories

I'm sorry that isn't even a decent writer

la concha de tu madre pelotudo

Susan Stong isn't btw.

I feel like War of the End of the World is his Moby Dick. Feast of the Goat is also great though.

Try The time of the Hero.

Viejo marico de mierda.

Care to expand?