Charles Bukowski

Where should I start reading Charles Bukowski??

In a comfortable chair.

But seriously, I would start with factotum before the poems to get some insight into his life.

Near the end. The whole thing's been like that until then anyway.

I started with the "Women" and I highly recommend doing so.

on the curb with a hangover

I think Bukowski will be my first ever filter.

Filter?

Factotum.

Definitely nowhere because everything he wrote is garbage

Start by throwing that shit in the trash and reading something decent

>Le epic it's cool to be a professional drunk bum fuck up who writes about having spots as a kid and being ugly

Fuck off

Bukowski is essential 28-year-old-stripper-with-a-son-named-Jayden core. "Life comes at you hard man, and you drink a lot."

Failed writers blast a successful and also dead man.
Anyway OP I started with The Last Night of the Earth Poems--it displays his range very nicely

Yeah, I'm being too hard on him probably, and he's undoubtedly a better writer than me

My favorite poetry book of his is "Dangling in the Tournefortia"

He may not be better but I honestly think he was one of the most persistent and sincere writers..who else would spend nearly fifty years writing before seeing any significant publishing ?

Any random user on this shithole. Yet I have no interest in reading their garbage.

Nice petty elitism user.

But he's (mostly) right.

He isn't right at all. There is probably not a single person on this board who has written as much for as long as bukowski did.

In the bathroom.

Before unloading your fecal buildup, tear a page up into tiny little squares and sprinkle it into the water. This should prevent the splash from reaching your asshole. Even though now you're much less tempted to look at your own shit, after you're done wiping you might accidentally glance over a few brown-stained words floating around in the bowl. It doesn't matter if there is any order or coherence to them, or if half a word is covered in brown because congratulations, you've now read Bukowski the way he was truly meant to be read. Don't forget to flush!

Hehehe poopie! Hahahah huehueuhue

First, at least learn to read French so you can read Celine.
Then, read Henry Miller.
After that, you can read Bukowski.

"are you drinking?"

"are you getting your
exercise, your
vitamins?"

Leave this board you fucking baguette

I started with Post Office and I thought it was great. You'll know pretty quickly if you like his style or not. Also if you're interested in his short fiction/poems The Most Beautiful Woman in Town is fantastic.

he helped inspire a new generation of cancer, because he himself was cancerous

kuki raup is so fucking bad and incapable of writing I feel sick for her

have another kuki

When I was 22 I thought Buk was the shit. Now at 52 I understand he is just that. Shit. Don't bother with him. He's a talentless hack.

>Yeah, I'm being too hard on him probably, and he's undoubtedly a better writer than me
I would put a collection of 15 of my poems up against of the shit Bukowski spewed.

How's that going for you

you're a fucking retard. no wonder you like bukowski. I've been playing basketball since i was 7 it doesnt mean I'm good at it or will be joining the NBA soon the fact that he wrote the same trash poem over and over for 50 years doesnt mean shit. it means he was a drunk who liked to write the same trash poem a million different ways.

This is pretty good.

This
All the beats and their followers are cancer. Read Henry miller, he could write and is fucking hilarious to boot.

Ham on Rye is a pretty quick read and it has the same succinct quality you appreciate if you're a fan of Salinger, Carver, etc.

His body of work, however, seems to be inconsistent overall based on what I've read. He's one of those authors you should probably proceed with caution if you don't have as much time as you'd like to have for reading.

>>>>aarp.org

Anyone else like his poetry but think his novels are garbage? Post-office was fucking trash i swear. I was 15 and edgy at the time too so i should have loved it.

You pour two parts Joyce into Bukowski and get about a pentaliter of Pynchon.
You can also use a Bukowski to distill Faulkner down into McCarthy at about a 4:1 ratio.
Bukowski can't filter Ginsberg down into anything, the holes are too small, but you can dilute some some Burroughs into pure Dylan to get a watered-down imitation Ginsberg, if that's your thing.

this is very autistic but i like it.
I tend to use the same filters over and over again.

If it was really autistic I would have included all the charts I made.

Very autistic indeed. When are we getting to John Irving and John Williams and all the Johns of America?