>What are you currently reading?
>What do you think of it?
>What's next on your reading list?

Other urls found in this thread:

edensauvage.wordpress.com/2016/07/25/reading-list-for-aspiring-ultra-lefts/
youtube.com/watch?v=Ga-q0F7oWnU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Pic related.

I don't often read non-fiction but its pretty compelling so far so I'll stick with it.

Next up is Heart of the Dog.

Currently unironically reading Infinite Jest for the first time

This. It's okay. DFW is clearly a very sheltered person.

The Savage Detectives
It's nice but I'm not sure about the format. But then again I'm only at 30% or so. Great atmosphere, at any rate.
Not sure what's next, might finally finish Outlaws of the Marsh.

A collection of Ezra Pound's poetry.
I don't get it.
The Greeks.

Glass Bead Game

So far it is a very fascinating read but as I'm only 200 pages deep I feel like I haven't come across the part of the work that makes it as praised as it is.

Next up is Butcher's Crossing

Correction

It's very much in line with the standard Bernhard formula of someone obsessing over an artist, scientist, or other sort of eccentric figure who's either dead or dying along with their ideas and the (typically quackish or absurd in some way) "work" they left behind.

I'll probably read The Tunnel next.

oresteia, psalms and book of disquiet.

finished agamenmon yesterday, will read choephoroe today and some psalms or maybe I even finish oresteia with eumenides.
have started recently with the greek playwrights, read the others by aeschylus and they have been very comfy, I specially enjoyed prometheus bound, my favorite so far.

the psalms (kjv) are pretty comfy too, I was pretty excited to get to them, so now I am slowly enjoying them.

on the book of disquiet, to be completely honest I am at the point I just want to finish already, I am not enjoying it as much as I did in the first 100 pages, it has some really great pieces but (gonna get some heat for this) all the sad babbling gets old (at least for me). its a good book overall though.

I was going to just go through all playwrights, so I was going to sophocles after oresteia, but I will do the moby dick reading group, so I will finish oresteia, finish the book of disquiet and finish psalms before june 17, and then will start moby dick. If I manage to finish these 3 books a while before 17, I will probably read the stranger or woolf's the waves. along with moby dick will keep reading the kjv and maybe re-read divine comedy, since I will be on vacation and I will have plenty of time.

I felt kind of the same way with Disquiet. Its a beautiful book but, like, I get it?

Norwegian Wood by Murakami-intriguing so far, since I haven't ever read any Japanese literature, contemporary or otherwise.

Next up is the Glass Bead Game

The American Civil War by John Keegan is my main right now

Also: Camp of the Saints

Economic Thought Before Adam Smith by Rothbard

Human Action by Mises

I might read that later in the year. How is it?

The Dragons Of Eden: Speculations On The Evolution Of Human Intelligence
By Carl Sagan

It follows the proliferarion of extrageneric and extrasomatic information systems through the evolution of the brain.
It's written for the layperson and was pretty easy to pick up. Dr. Sagan's storytelling is humorous, entertaining and instructive.

>current
Warlock by Oakley Hall

>what do you think of it
I'm enjoying it. Lot's of plot for a Veeky Forums meme book

>next
The Book of Disquiet

Siddartha

I'm enjoying it. The problem of the self and not living for other things has been on my mind lately. It is the first religious text that has been useful to me.

Steppenwolf
I'm curios to see the differences to Siddartha.

>currently reading
this
>what do you think
great
>what's next
bhagavad gita

The Soulforge.
Pretty good, going by fast tho.
Crime and Punishment

The problem I had with Bhagavad Gita was keeping all the names and weird hindi words straight. fucking confusing language.

Just finished The Stranger by Camoo
pretty pleb when compared to other existentialist authors such as Dostoevsky
Nothing yet, would like suggestions though.

The Republic by Plato.
Pretty retarded imo

Primarily reading Gaddis' The Recognitions right now. It's astounding, his prose is austere. Aunt May felt very real, I shall miss her.

Right now, I'm reading volume 1 of Capital, along with Harry Cleaver's notes/guide
Overall, I think it's great- can drag a bit at times, but that doesn't stop me.
Just more leftist literature- Harvey's "The Limit's to Capital", some Lukacs, Rosa Luxemburg, etc

Ivanhoe.
Really rad, shouldn't have avoided it thinking it would be an autistic medieval tale for m'lady types.
Kim by Kipling.

just started the prince, really digging it. The hype was definitely warranted. Next I am thinking either Decline of the West or All Quiet on the Western Front, maybe Catch-22. Decisions man

Current: The Story of Civilization: The Life of Greece
>very well written historical biography of Greek civilization by Will Durant; too many details to wrap my head around.

Next: Mythology by Hamilton, then Iliad and Odyssey reread, then maybe some Lord Macaulay for a change of pace (especially his essay on History which is a prerequisite for tackling Herodotus, Thucydides, and Xenophon), and then Histories and History of the Peloponnesian War.

>Last: The Once and Future King

>Current: The Name of the Rose

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss.

Just read the part where he is living on the street in Tarbean. One da yhe goes to the rich site and is almost beaten to death by a police guard because of begging. All what follows after that, in the snow, refusing to sleep next to the fire are so touching. I literally had tears in my eyes.

>Being and time
>Intresting more for the method than for the resoults
>Something of quine

The Life and Times of Michael K by J. M. Coetzee
It's horrible. I keep having to put it down because it's too depressing. This deformed guy basically has his life fall apart and ends up homeless in the middle of war-time South Africa. Right now he is eating insects to stay alive.
The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon.

Make Catch-22 your next read. It's the best of the three by a mile.

First volume of Coplestone History of philosophy. I only have two complaints so far: the author is a tomist, and the untranslated greek terms.

I am currently reading:
>The Romanovs by Smon Sebag Montefiore

What do I think of it:
>Really enjoying it at the moment, always wanted to learn more about Russia since I first learned of Ivan the terrible

Whats next on my reading list:
> One of the following:
>The Habsburgs by Andrew Wheatcroft
>The Plantagenets by Dan Jones
>The holy Roman empire by Peter H. Wilson

St.Augustine's City of God.

It's pretty good. His writing is very clear, yet still informative, and the edition I have has very good footnotes. Also he has BTFO my inner greco-roman, the first few books utterly dismantle Hellenistic Paganism. He is very convincing.
The Angelic Hierarchy, then the Infernal Dictionary, and then Paradise Lost.

Decline of the West is about cool shit but it's not a fun read. Catch 22 is pretty good wordplay.

>What are you currently reading 1?
Nikolai Gogol, the Complete Short Stories
A colorful and witty image of rural Ukraine and its tradition. The folkloric element in the stories shows Ukrainian mentality as their perception of morals and the Devil. Although it's simple and sometimes predictable structure, Gogol manage to make the stories as enjoyable as if they were told in person. Another element that adds value is the fictional narrator Rudim Pañko, an elder and charismatic landlord who tell us the stories. Such addition goals to craft the perfect ambient to the stories.
War and Peace, by Lev Tolstoy
>What are you currently reading 2?
The Time of the Hero (La ciudad y los perros), by Mario Vargas Llosa.
Definitely one of the greatest surprises of my 2017 readings. The change of narrators, the street-talk language and the crudely way of telling the story make the novel a great exposition of some aspects of reality in a believable but literary form. One thing I appreciate is the fact the Vargas Llosa not only present the POV of the harmed but also of the harmers so it makes you question if it was really that cruel or if the victim should have done something else.
>What's next in your reading list?
The Green House, by Mario Vargas Llosa.

The Metamorphosis by Kafka
It's interesting even if i don't think i pick up all the subtleties
American Psycho

Marathoned a couple pages of Meditations, too banal that it feels like I'm wasting time

biology textbook
its dry but informative
possibly Antigone

biology textbook (1500 pages)
its dry but informative
taking time to learn a second language

The Conspiracy - Paul Nizan
It's boring but I'm coming off a period of slow reading so it's difficult to get back into it.
Up next is A Bend in the River by V.S. Naipaul

Heart of a Dog by Bulgakov? That's a great book. A quick read too, like a humorous Soviet Frankenstein.
Stranger is overrated. I might reread it some time to make sure I didn't miss something but I got very little out of that book. I feel like Kafka was more similar to Camus than Dostoevsky but much better at capturing existential angst. Dostoevsky did a good job in some of his books.
Did you read any Marx before Capital? I have the early writings of Marx to read before the more technical works of Marx. The ideas of alienation, objectification, and commodity fetishism are much more appealing to me than economics.
Kafka is not as subtle as people on this board seem to think. His stories are vague and disorienting and that's the point. He is expressing the anxiety felt by people in an industrialized society which is amorphous. People have a general feeling of unease that they can't describe but they can feel constantly. If you're getting that feeling of unease then you're probably getting the full effect of Kafka.

Currently reading Barbara Tuchman's series on World War 1, I'm about halfway through The Guns of August. This series is fantastic, very well sourced and cited, extraordinarily detailed. I'm thinking of swinging to the complete stories of Sherlock Holmes to switch genres a bit. What do you guys think?

Camus is one of my favorite authors and I was really underwhelmed with The Stranger when I first read it to, I suggest trying his other works, like The Fall, The Plague, The First Man, or even his short story collection, Exile and the Kingdom, which is absolutely fantastic, before you write off Camus.

Naked Lunch by William S. Burroughs.
Absolutely hilarious, really loving it. Dr. Benway is a riot and his rant about doctors using more and more machines in surgery is one of the funniest moments in any book i've ever read.
I've already read Queer, The Yage Letters and The Electronic Revolution by Burroguhs, so next on my list is Interzone, since it's the early version of Naked Lunch.

The Bhagavad Gita is great

You should get a version with a glossary, lad.

As I Lay Dying by Faulkner
The only negative is that parts of it are written in a Southern Accent with the corresponding "redneck grammar". I usually don't mind that kind of stuff but he just uses it way too often and not just for dialogue either. But other than that it's pretty good.
Haven't quite decided yet. I have Stoner, Blood Meridian and Three Body Problem all lying around. Might also pick up some non-fiction and read something from Mises.

pic related.
basically "hello sadness".

Like.

She was 17 and compares hedonistic bourgeoisie (her father) and intellectual bourgeoisie (pretentious surrogate mother, couture artist).

Existentialism was very popular in the 50's, in was the new thought current (fashion) for the youth. As a teen girl, she thinks about how wanting to be herself would'nt make sense, because existence precedes essence.

>The Plague
you can't honestly like that book

Rothfuss's books read like honey, went through them in a couple of days.
If there ever comes a itch for something similar, try Sinuhe the Egyptian by Mika Waltari

I did read a lot of his previous works before diving straight into Capital- his basic critiques of political economy (Wage Labor and Capital, Value, Price and Profit) along with his Economic and Philosophic Manuscripts of 1844 are pretty essential. It also helps to read some ancillary guides, and I've really enjoyed both Cleaver's online guide and Harvey's companion to Capital.
edensauvage.wordpress.com/2016/07/25/reading-list-for-aspiring-ultra-lefts/
This list has a lot of the necessary reading material, if you're interested.

Currently reading Absalom, Absalom! which is fantastic.

Up next is Le Morte D'Arthur

Current: The Outsider by Camus
I just started it since I just finished Ru. Nothing much happened yet except the mother dying, so I have no comments
Next: Memory Theatre by Critchley

The Master and Margarita
I don't get it.
Maybe Moby-Dick

Great Gaspy
Pretty chill. Autistic as fuck.
Probs Confessions of a Mask

Dr Zhivago. It's making me remember all the stuff I forgot from the Russian Culture class I took freshman year of college which is cool. I like the way it's developing so far, but sometimes wish I could spend a little more time with certain characters before the book breaks off to another perspective.
Next, I'll probably pick up Gass' "In the Heart of the Heart..." volume.

>the mother dying
wow you made it this far.

I'm reading two books, one on history, and a novel.

>The Conquest of New Spain
>It's a great primary source on Hernan Cortez and his men taking over the Aztec empire. It's actually really beautiful. It challenges the way I've viewed the Spanish imperialists. They aren't evil zealots like I thought they were. There are some inconsistencies in their thinking that as a modern person I can notice, but for the most part they were just very nationalistic and very concerned with spreading Christianity and stopping human sacrifice.
>Africa's World War (it's about the Congo wars and the Rwandan genocide)

>Thus Spoke Zarathustra
>I'm only a few pages in, but it's packed with so philosophy. It's much different than I thought it was going to be. As a Christian, I didn't expect the book's philosophy to be as convincing or at least appealing as it is. The book is about 300 pages long. I'm only 30-40 pages in and it's already given me so much to think about. It's crazy to think I'm only less than sixth into the story.
>Sword and Citadel, the second half of The Book of the New Sun.

Just finished Crime and Punishment and that was a fun intro to Dostoevsky. Not sure what to read next. I was thinking of reading Stoner but I'm tired of reading depressing novels all the time so maybe something fun.

Cosmos by Gombrowicz
I like it a lot. It's the first polish novel i've read. I thought because polish seems very complex, it would be hard to translate, but that's not the case.

>Africa's World War (it's about the Congo wars and the Rwandan genocide
Is it good? I've been thinking of reading some non-fiction and this one seems interesting. Does it cover only those two conflicts you mentioned?

> It challenges the way I've viewed the Spanish imperialists. They aren't evil zealots like I thought they were.
That's because it was written by the spaniards themselves. It's a good read but full of inaccuracies.

>Is it good?
I haven't read it yet. It's the next on my history reading list though.
>I've been thinking of reading some non-fiction and this one seems interesting. Does it cover only those two conflicts you mentioned?
The front of the book says "Africa's World War: Congo, the Rwandan Genocide, and the Making of a Continental Catastrophe". I'm fairly certain it's just about the two Congo Wars and the Rwandan Genocide. A lot of the people on Veeky Forums recommend Dancing in the Glory of Monsters which is also about the same conflicts. However, I bought this one because the author of Dancing in the Glory of Monsters was a political activist, so I thought his book might be more biased. But people on Veeky Forums seem to like it, so you might want to buy that one instead.

Yeah, it does come from a biased perspective, but most of the books that condemn the actions taken by the imperialists were written by people who weren't there, so it's hard to tell which narrative is more reliable. Also, when the writer misplaces an event or names the wrong city, the translator adds a footnote explaining the inaccuracy. But he hasn't added footnotes for the things that challenge my perception of these people, so I don't really know what to think.

But another important thing to note is that the soldier who wrote this book wrote it after reading a lot of other historian's accounts of the events. He sometimes talks about the errors in their accounts. And at one point he does actually defend the actions he and the other soldiers took against what a historian accused them of doing. So, the book is sometimes a defense of their actions, so maybe it is true that some of it is inaccurate. But I doubt it's "full of inaccuracies". It's just a few inaccuracies.

>Gombrowicz
I liked Ferdydurke a lot.
It's like Holden Caulfield grew up and realized that there was an opposite danger to being a phony : being kitsch (borrowing the word from Kundera).

Never heard about Cosmos.

PKD's A Scanner Darkly. Finished it today, and it was absolutely beautiful. The way he lays down the structure lf the story really pays off in the last few hallucinatory chapters, like a flower that crumbles as soon as its petals open. Not a single word out of place.

Hippie lingo aside, its an amazing book with a really touching sentiment.

>The Soulforge.
Is The Soulforge or whatever series it's from worth reading. How does it compare to other fantasy books/series?

Also, is it as good as this song?
youtube.com/watch?v=Ga-q0F7oWnU

The Odyssey (Classics Club)

I absolutely love it. It's almost biblical. It's the oldest book I've ever read but the characters are still relatable and likable.

Candide
Pretty good, surprised by the speed of it.
Moby Dick, probably

It goes downhill after that. I found Kvothe to be a hardcore Mary-Sue. His girlfriend is a cunt too. The world is really interesting though.

If I hate how smug Voltaire is, will I still be able to enjoy Candide?

>À la recherche du temps perdu (welp, finished just today)
>one of the most enthralling books i've ever read
>as much secondary literature on it as possible

also, i'd appreciate it if someone could point me in the direction of the place where i could watch/download Le temps retrouvé, d'après l'oeuvre de Marcel Proust (Marcel Proust's Time Regained), a film released in 1999, for free

sure
it's very short and quite humorous (until you realize that it's actually very, very sad)

maybe, as long as you don't read the annotations

>Currently reading
A Writer At War: Memoirs of a war correspondent on the Eastern Front by Vasily Grossman translated by Beevor and L. Vinogradova

>How do you like it
it's interesting perspective of the war, through the eyes of many and is often written in a broken monologue, would make sense as it is mostly translated notebooks word for word, space for space with breaks with the history going on behind the scenes.

>Next on Reading List
Either Fighting for the Motherland by Dimitry Loza or New Confessors of Russia haven't decided yet.

Im reading blood meridian and is great so far.

Meditations by Marcus Aurelius

I'm currently reading The Trial by Franz Kakfa.

I find it really depressing, and (despite its short length) kind of a slog to read through.

Next up is The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro.

>currently reading
Eden by Lem
>what do you think
I've bought it for the "Orwell-like planet", but so far it's planet exploration and what not, but it's cool too.
>what next
Most likely Quicksilver by Stephenson.

>Recently Read
I just finished the Stranger, enjoyable journey of a man dejected with reality and being question on his faith.

>Next to be Read
100 years of Solitude, i heard great things about really eager to start

Currently reading Oblomov. Story is good but the talk about love gets very boring. Next up is Xerxes from Louis Couperus or Het Verdriet van België from Hugo Claus.

Not the one you replied to but personally, I liked The Rat triology more than Norwegian Wood.

>A Plato Reader
>First time reading philosophy and its really good.
>The Odyssey or Resurrection by Leo Tolstoy

Makioka Sisters. The original is divided into three books and I'm only almost done with the first but I enjoy Tanizaki's prose greatly. It goes back and forth from page-long sentences to short dialogue smoothly, as well as a lot of word and dialect play that probably doesn't translate well. Can't wait to finish the rest of the trilogy.

I started reading The Political History of the Devil - Daniel Defoe and kind of stopped. I thought it was gonna be about what "the devil" represented throughout history and for all I know that might have been exactly what it's about, but I couldn't tell with all the rambling. Many, many pages of rambling.

Then I started 'Choke' by Chuck Palahniuk and so far, meh. I like his writing style but the whole 'sex addict' thing put me off, it seemed forced (though I get the feeling that it's the pivotal element of the book, in the first few chapters it just feels like a mcguffin). So I kind of stopped reading it too.

I also tried to read Slouching Towards Bethlehem - Joan Didion because I wanted to read more stuff by female writers. I liked it, but because it's a collection of essays the stories can be a little hit and miss. I like her writing style though.

That's it folks, I'm a serial book unfinisher.

Wirginia Wolf- To the Lighthouse

heavy bite

Just finishing 100 Years of Solitude. Second time reading it and it's still incredibly beautiful. Going to read Kafka on the Shore next.

The Waves by Woolf and Cryptonomicon by Stephenson

Almost finished Waves it has been fantastic. Want to re-read it in the not so distant future so I can get a better handle of it. Crypt is also pretty good i'm enjoying it, can drag tho.

Cormac McCarthy — All The Pretty Horses
Georges Perec — Life: A User's Manual

It's great though. If you're liking it, add Mrs. Dalloway to your list.

>The Odyssey
I am very much enjoying it so far, even more than I did the Iliad. It seems to be much grander than the Iliad, and funnier as well.
>The Waves or The Penguin History of The World

the second sex

about 100 pages in, if anything i'm more sexist now (or maybe i'm becoming aware?). those parts about man being transcendent made me proud lol. then again there were some sweaty moments that hit a nerve eg: >the most mediocre of males feels himself a demi god as compared with women
it's been a much more enjoyable read than I anticipated so far.
Will read Butcher's Crossing next.

I am only now getting into this whole reading thing, at 18. Starting with The Picture of Dorian Gray.
I like it so far, the prose is pretty.
Lord Henry seems like that one friend that influences you to do stupid things. Very likeable character though, for me. Am definitely seeing a bit of myself in Dorian. How easy it is to influence me, how many dumb things I've done to enjoy my youth.

After this book, I plan on continuing the Veeky Forums starter kit.

>Heart of a Dog by Bulgakov? That's a great book.
Yep, that's the one. Probably been reading too many Veeky Forums recs recently but they are pretty good

>>What are you currently reading?
James Baldwin - Giovanni's Room
>>What do you think of it?
Having just finished Go Tell It on The Mountain, I'm also enjoying this and feel that it is a more tempered work. Baldwin writes better than most writers I've come across and the subject matter is interesting.
>>What's next on your reading list?
Either The Peregrine or Bonfire of the Vanities (already read 100 pages but put it down for exam season)

>Currently reading
Sportsman's Sketches. Love it so far. Turgenev become such a bore at older age. The peasant milieu is so much more interesting than Baden-Baden.

>Next
Going to dip deeper into Seneca. Not sure which piece exactly. I've only read letters to Lucilius.

>Currently Reading
pic related

It's got a lot of eye-openers for an ignorant burger; I knew basically nothing of British politics before picking this up for the current election. JC himself comes across surprisingly relatable, though there is of course a certain amount of partisanship on the author's part.

Probably Papillon or some poetry

Current read: "Seventeen & J: Two Novels" by Kenzaburo Oe

Next read: Any of George Lincoln Rockwell's two novels

>DFW is
was

and he was just a hack

also, reading Ulysses. Cool as fuck. Greatest book i've ever read. Up there with Moby Dick and Shakespeare.

>The Adolescent - Fyodor Dostoevsky
>7/10 It's Notes from Underground with more characters
>Either Brief Interviews with Hideous Men by DFW or Mother by Maxim Gorky

My fucking nigga. Read Dead Souls if you haven't yet (Also, Mikhail Bulgakov for more Gogolesque soviet lit).

Also, Lev Nikolaevich is amazing. War and Peace, Ana Karenina, the list goes on...

>currently reading

wild surmise - dorothy porter

>what do you think of it

yeah not bad, really like the ecology metaphors and stuff like that. i read the monkey's mask last week and this is less funny but probably better overall.

>whats next on your reading list?

dunno probably the rest of dorothy porter's verse novels

Confessions by St. Augustine, alongside the biography of Augustine by Peter Brown. Also reading through a complete collection of Yeats' poetry and loving it, it's the first book of poetry I've ever read. Book of Job too, which is completely not what I was expecting but still good.

Jurassic World fanfiction.
(the amount of people that want chris pratt and the absolute shitheap teenager to fuck is very upsetting)