What are your thoughts on him, Veeky Forums?

What are your thoughts on him, Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Étienne_Carjat,_Portrait_of_Charles_Baudelaire,_circa_1862.jpg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>implying i have thoughts

I only got about a third of the way through Flowers of Evil before lending my copy to someone and never getting it back but it was pretty great.

What should you read before starting Baudelaire?

Just go for it

There is no prerequisite but knowing French might help. A better question is who to read after. My recommendation being Huysmanns

Okay. What should I do to understand him? I can't help but feel like I should take my time with his stuff. Is there anything he references a lot? Is his work mostly meaningless?

Aestheticism is really based on personal temperament and so his work is very accessible to anyone; I suppose to understand him you could read his essays before his poetry.

Okay, will do.

You look like you just can't comprehend the idea that you don't have to read a shitton of introductory writing to understand something. No, you don't need the essays. Just. Read. The. Flowers. Of. Evil.
For fuck's sake. This reminds me of the "you have to study the western canon before you can eat a burger" post.

I can comprehend it. I have no friends, so I have plenty of time to be a needlessly thorough.

While I agree with you generally I do think Baudelaire had specific ideas about what poetry could be and his essays do flesh out the poems.

Colossal fagit when he used to shit upon Courbet, who was ten times more talented than him even if in a different field

I love Baudelaire, I'm currently re-reading Les Fleurs du Mal. He translated some of Edgar Poe's works in French.

reading flowers of evil made me feel like a drunken decadent frenchman so i liked it

don't pretend you don't larp along with the books you read. unless you're reading hitchens or something in which case carry on.

L'albatros is the goat modern poem. You won't find a better allegory than that one.

t. feelsguy

t. philistine.

jared taylor swift?

If I remember correctly from Flowers of Evil, he refers to the Bible a lot

This. It's the perfect allegory, but many don't read it as such;
They see the albatross / the king of the sky
as a any old, stupid bird --
But when comes the realization that l'albatros
is the poet / then they embark into Hades
bidden to a mast of a ship followed the siren song more dangerous than sleep.

Best poet.

Weren't they friends? At least at some point?

Not sure if you're trolling or just being retard.

Yeah, they were friends (Courbet even depicted Baudelaire in that painting, on the far right) but at some point the burgeoise side of Baudelaire won out and he called Courbet's art "degenerate" or something like that because it was too realistic for his taste

He gives me strenght.

>Faggot for shitting on a pleb version of Manet

Nah, he was accurately right on that. Based Charles, as always.

what manga or is this a shop?

>pleb version of Manet
Haha maybe it's the opposite, Courbet was even older than Manet

Lmao are you serious? You've never read anything remotely related with art, right? Give Bourdieu's book on Manet a try, if you're so entry-level.

Not a shop and it's also the greatest manga.

The Flower of Evil.

Calm down pathetic pretentious faggot. I've studied art history at university. Manet was ten years younger than Courbet and it's well-known he learned a lot of things from him. If you prefer Manet it's just your fucking opinion and no one gives a shit. But hands down on Gustave Courbet, the absolute master of first realism and idealistic realism.

>muhh age
Yeats was 20 years younger then Pound and yet he learnt alot from him. So what's your point again?

>muhh age
Yeats was 20 years younger than Pound and yet he learnt alot from him. So what's your point again?

I even counted wrong, he was thirteen years younger than Courbet.

My point is just that Courbet is not a pleb version of Manet. We go on?

Not the same guy but Manet is objectively the better painter.

I do like Impressionists more than Courbet and realism in general, but oddly enough, I prefer Courbet over Manet. Manet is just a middle way between the two movements, he doesn't convince me. Pic related is way more powerful and meaningful than Olympia or Le déjeuner sur l'herbe

can't believe you filthy americans even dare to read Baudelaire in english

Aku No Hana

I love this woodblurtype
commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Étienne_Carjat,_Portrait_of_Charles_Baudelaire,_circa_1862.jpg

>French
>reading Poe in French

start with the greeks. Aischylos especially is crucial, otherwise most of Baudelaire's stuff will probably go over your head.

Le temps mange la vie!

What is a good translation of The Flowers of Evil?

His translations of Poe are really good though, some prefer them to the original English version.

you need to love your mother, hate your father, take drugs, fuck whores, then fall in love with, become unable to fuck them any longer, take more drugs, cuck yourself, dive into drug-induced reverie.

Then perhaps you'll understand our dear Bow-de-lay.

i think you meant older, but anyhow...

Baudelaire?

This man approves (pic related)

Withnail & I is God tier...

I'll tell you what is God-tier, user:

Reciting a prose poem by Baudelaire in such an execrable French accent that makes it actually rhyme, that's what.

Oh, Uncle Monty, we miss you!

Uncle Monty, you say?

I really like him. It's the good kind of edge.

He's the G.O.A.T.