Politics/economics starter pack

So my brother's birthday is coming up and he is really into politics and economics. I doubt that he has read any of the classics discussed here though, so I thought I'd hit him with some of that. The first thing that came to mind is Wealth of Nations, but I don't know if one should start with that or if there is some basic stepping stone one should read first?

Is there a recommended reading chart for politics/economics? What are the first 5 books one should read if one is to get into that subject?

Start with "Economics in One Lesson"

For politics try Political Power, Political Decay by Fukuyama

"Its lengthy argument can be summarised in a single sentence: without the prior establishment of a well-armed and functional territorial state, and without an independent judiciary responsible for overseeing the rule of law that robust state power then makes possible, modern liberal democracy simply cannot happen."

This seems a little too pointy to be an introduction to something, but maybe I'm just not read up on the subject enough to know that different books state different theses?
I'll look that up, cheers

Something droll in an ancap reading list that recommends stealing books.

WoN, then Kapital, then Piketty.

This isn't necessarily "AnCap" :/

Human Action

My private court doesn't respect the statist institution of copyright.

>Ancaps
>Understanding economics

Ancaps are against IP with few notable exceptions and technicalities.

I studied economics. I cannot stress how important it is to start with an undergraduate economics textbook, rather than with lists of outdated philosophical texts and polemical meme books that characterise these threads.

>he only ever read snippets of TWoN

Okay, but how does it feel being the dumb child of Enlightenment political philosophy?

Add After Piketty, it reviews, critiques, and expands upon his arguments.

Undergraduate work has significant limitations my dude, especially now when neoclassical orthodoxy and previously held assumptions are being questioned.

Principles of Mathematical Analysis by Rudin
Advanced Macroeconomics by Romer
Microeconomic Theory by Green
A shitton of NBER working papers

If you are willing to go back as far as Smith and the Enlightenment, might as well check out Anders Chydenius, too.

Basic Economics by Thomas Sowell is fantastic, even though he sidesteps the problems with inflation.

Still, a great introduction and dispels with many of the misconceptions people hold.

This is really great, but I'm quite biased as a lolbertarian.

>Viking Age Iceland
Can someone explain why this is here?

If you can argue yourself out of the Ancap methodology and conclusions, you will be a god amongst men.

>Medieval Iceland was unique amongst Western Europe, with no foreign policy, no defence forces, no king, no lords, no peasants and few battles. It should have been a utopia yet its literature is dominated by brutality and killing. The reasons for this, argues Jesse Byock, lie in the underlying structures and cultural codes of the islands' social order. 'Viking Age Iceland' is an engaging, multi-disciplinary work bringing together findings in anthropology and ethnography interwoven with historical fact and masterful insights into the popular Icelandic sagas, this is a brilliant reconstruction of the inner workings of a unique and intriguing society.