How did you increase your reading speed?

How did you increase your reading speed?

How did you minimize subvocalizations and read for phrases/ideas/groups of words instead of individual words?

I'm trying but I'm having trouble.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ca7Wt8lDK0s
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Continue reading

>How did you minimize subvocalizations
You can't that, how we all interpret written language.
Your brain will start reading phrases subvocally rather than word by word is what most people mean.

meth eyedrops

Read books while listening to music, it'll help with getting rid of slowly subvocalizing every word

I increased it by taking a speed-reading course. Then I reduced it when I realized that such reading is completely useless and retarded when dealing with actual literature.

It's not something I've ever conciously done. I read a ton as a kid, and just got fast from constantly doing it. I used to get yelled at for always having a book at the dinner table.
I think when you actually TRY to speed read, you miss things. I skim all the time when not reading for pleasure, but that's more learning to pick out important points and skip the chaff.

I just read the contents page and half-guess the plot and everything. Now I read 10x as much as I used to.

I skip words

>I used to get yelled at for always having a book at the dinner table.
Deservedly so that's pretty autistic mohn

>Buy the book
>Read the sparknotes
your subvocoderizations will be ass fucked
now your reading with speed friend

: sports

just need a bigger nose ring my man

that's why people get them, they help you read faster. as you can see it's helped our man here achieve satori

please stop advertising the speed-reading scam. we all now kids use this site and they might actually believe this shit.

Is he your master?

youtube.com/watch?v=ca7Wt8lDK0s

Speed reading is a tool for studying a book. Speed read the chapter or book to gain familiarity of structure and to isolate what you can easily understand. Go back and read at a comfortable speed for comprehension and understanding.

You can use speed reading to pick out specific information from a text but thats not the same as understanding.

Yeah this meme is stupid. Sorry if I sound idiotic but isn't this similar to listening to a song on a faster pace? If we talk about fiction, isn't reading slow and savouring the prose the way to go? Enlight this pleb.

Speed reading is only worthwhile for expository works. And even then, expository works that are worth reading (ie. that are actually emparting to you knowledge you don't already have) are probably going to need to be read at a slower pace anyway. Which is to say, speed reading is pointless shit.

I suppose it's also possibly worthwhile if you're reading like a bunch of GRRM books or something like that, but honestly if you're doing that why not just watch tv or something instead?

obviously it's stupid to read fiction fast because it was meant to enjoy the prose. but since fiction is a waste of time anyways, i prever to speed read non-fiction to be as effective as possible since most books are a clusterfuck of unnecessary filler words and repetitions. the bew ideas of any book would have found room in a few sentences anyways. so why waste my time and clutter up my brain with useless information?

oh and to get back to the op question:
following my finger as it speeds over the page in some sort of zig zag helps me the most since it drags my eyes with them, almost eliminating subvocalisation and allowing my brain to gather infos from text chunks instead of single words.

but i've always been a fast reader. like the user above, it came with reading non stop as a kid.

Using my finger alone increased my reading speed. I learned to read back in the 70s and they emphasized not using a finger or other guide while reading. They literally smacked our hands with something if we did it from kindergarten through 4th grade.

yeah, they did a lot of shit stuff in school that now are added back in because it's the most effective way. kids know how to learn. if you let them...

Common core is still garbage. They should hang the people responsible for it

This. Even a retard can do speed-reading if he has to study a book for school/university. But no one can fully comprehend a novel or a collection of poems through speed-reading tecniques. Fuck that bunch of lies.

Improving reading comprehension should be your goal more than reading speed.

This guy annoys me

10/10 dubs of truth

i like how the speed reading retards have retreated into "...but it's good for nonfiction". it's horrible for nonfiction as well, in fact it's even worse. please stop. i don't care if you wreck your own reading comprehension but there's no reason others should be misled into adopting your moronic lifehack. they could waste years of life "reading" before they realize they don't remember anything from the books they were zigzagging their fingers around.

you want comprehension and retention. you should be doing the opposite of what the speed reading scam suggests. you should pause while reading, you should go back to previous pages, you should get up and take a brief walk after finishing a chapter. yes, you will read one book while the speed reading retard zigzags his dick across five but you will learn while he remains retarded. this is particularly true of non-fiction.