Why is whale meat taboo and controversial? What does it taste like?

Why is whale meat taboo and controversial? What does it taste like?

It's controversial because of the brutality of whaling itself. There's no real quick and efficient way to catch and slaughter a whale without prolonging its suffering.
From my experience with it, it tastes somewhat like slightly briny, fishy red meat.

Cause they're an endangered species and also pretty intelligent

>never learned how to leave the water
>intelligent
lmao

It's a fucking fish who cares, the meat looks delicious though

>Landfag intelligence

>It's a fucking fish

I know this is bait, but whales are mammals.

>intelligence and evolution are the same thing
Retard.

Most of the controversy comes from the conservation side. Commercial whaling between the 17th and 20th centuries over-fished the global whale populations, driving some species to near extinction. Compounded by pollution and modern shipping routes, the whale populations still haven't recovered to what they once were, making them a very finite resource for the time being, hence strict catch quotas in most countries.

What are some things I could do after an exhausting day that do not involve binge drinking? Tomorrow is off and I'm getting tempted.

Who gives a shit about the technical distinction, it's just a big fish

>If whales are so intelligent, why don't they have Transformers movies and tramp stamps?
Yeah, bro, human pride.

Will the whale population bounce back in our lifetime so we can eat them?

Test how much bleach you can drink

Whale meat isn't some kind of high society delicacy user, it's a shit-tier meat that only the poor ate in the 19th century because they had no other options

Well, that's the thing. They're huge animals and they grow very slowly compared to other marine catches. Globally, we've only been strict on whaling quotas sine the 1980's. You certainly can go to places where you can eat them, but whale meat will probably never be as plentiful as most other fish in our lifetimes. The point is so future generations get to have whales too. We are currently atoning for the mistakes of past generations.

Most of it was due to the demand for whale oil, back before electricity. The meat was a secondary product.

Look at how metal this is.
>hours of suffering after a life well lived is bad, but a lofetime standing in literal laters is fine because quick death

They're hunting whales to extinction because Japs are too retarded to farm.

We pay people to kill crows(they don't even eat them) and they're easily the smartest non-primate

I'd rather just use a gun.

We actually needed that whale oil back then though, it's not overwhaling if it got us where we are today

I didn't say we didn't need it back then, but they are a finite resource. When we have the ability to completely deplete a natural resource that would otherwise be renewable with thoughtful conservation, it becomes a pertinent issue. The taboo comes from us being in resource recovery mode right now.

That's actually a pretty quick death for them and it helps with population control in that particular instance.

>it's ok as long as it helps expand the human race

Yes that's the spirit, user!

>it's okay because they were happy before we tortured them to death

Yes, of course? Our values should be from an anthropocentric perspective, we are human. Our value of other species should depend on how similar they are to human virtues

Because the whale meat people consume is always from endangered species which they hunt and kill for what they call research.. Which is a collosol lie

Whales kill people too so fuck 'em

Lobsters were given to paupers in the 19th century too because it was considered shitty

how do they even catch whales? the rod they use must be huge.

Also garlic. So basically that means fuck all

>because it was considered shitty

No, because there was a local surplus of it. And what else were you going to do with a surplus of rapidly spoiling food back in the days before refrigeration or canning?

>Who gives a shit about the technical distinction
educated people who aren't low class scum and like to distinguish between the life forms they eat.
next time you order food just tell people that you want to eat plant based food or animals, who gives a shit about technical distinction, right?

Had it in Iceland.

Like a really tender steak.

>tramp stamps

whales confirmed for basic bitches

>Implying that they couldn't have just kept the lobsters alive in transport

I don't think it's taboo so much as we just harvest them in very limited margins because we almost made them extinct for lard by the early 19th century

>educated people who aren't low class scum and like to distinguish between the life forms they eat.

Guy living in Norway here. We have it at our office cantina once every year or so.
It tastes like beef only a bit tougher and liverier.

There's plenty of whale species that aren't endangered at all. Particularly minke whales which is the species of whale hunted for food.

Whales are apex predators, if they go extinct it'll wreak havoc on the food chain which could negatively impact other marine food sources we rely on.