Veeky Forums BTFO

Real LIFE! You poor bastard!!!

REAL LIFE!

[Dramatic pause]

LIFE!

i like gaddis but this is the equivalent of saying shit with an ironic SNL voice and assuming that makes it untrue

nice strawman gaddis

I can only read this as a James Stewart style performance. Was that the intent?

*edit* wtf I love life now

It was a depressive TV exec who gave up on his dreams of being an architecht due to having no talent for it losing his shit after being insulted by a book critic.

Not that impressive

It's not really meant to be impressive or profound in context. Just the kind of rant someone at the end of their rope might go on when provoked by a certain kind of pseud.

He's right, he's describing redditors.

>you resent Christ
We're all unworthy, sinners, i.e. failures.
Is this how you love your enemy, you heretic?

The guy that says this kills himself in the very next chapter. This is the same scene that introduces him. It's
not supposed to be eloquent or anything. The dude is essentially average joe pushed to his limits by the horrible fucks inhabiting Gaddis's world. Horrible fucks that would and do take the time to express this idea more eloquently and smugly throughout the book. The guy saying all this is pretty much the book's Frank Grimes and this scene heralds a landslide of depressing shit that runs until the end of the book.

Seems like a real killjoy if you ask me

>The guy that says this kills himself in the very next chapter. This is the same scene that introduces him.
Sounds like a case of terminal stage Christianity

He wasn't introduced in that part. He's the guy Wyatt used to work for when he was still with Esther. The one who begged him to keep designing bridges for him right after Wyatt got in with Recktall Brown.

book falls off a cliff imo with wyatt out of the picture. whole last third could've been axed

In context, the person saying this is kind of being a bitch, as everyone in this thread says.

This isn't really supposed to be some sort of Nietzschean rant against weak intellectuals that Gaddis agrees with, it's very dependent on its context

sounds like he was writing about David Foster Wallace

I enjoy the book, but I didn't like that he felt the need to attack Dale Carnegie for no reason.

>It was written with reassuring felicity. There were no abstrusely long sentences, no confounding long words, no bewildering metaphors in an obfuscated system such as he feared finding in simply bound books of thoughts and ideas. No dictionary was necessary to understand its message; no reason to know what Kapila saw when he looked heavenward, and of what the Athenians accused Anaxagoras, or to know the secret name Jahveh, or who cleft the Gordian knot, the meaning of 666. There was, finally, very little need to know anything at all, except how to “deal with people.” College, the author implied, meant simply years wasted on Latin verbs and calculus. Vergil, and Harvard, were cited regularly with an uncomfortable, if off-hand, reverence for their unnecessary existences . . . In these pages, he was assured that whatever his work, knowledge of it was infinitely less important that knowing how to “deal with people.” This was what brought a price in the market place; and what else could anyone possibly want?

>for no reason

lad...

Fight me irl, faggot. That class and book changed my life.

Gaddis just portrays everyone who might benefit from it as some retard like Pivner.

I detected no sympathy towards Pivner, merely vitriol.

lol what a hack, thanks for redpilling me on this faggo

>All the life failures he is triggering in this thread

I like Gaddis but this is really ressentiment-y

you dont know what that word means
so you're admitting to being a retard?

>I didn't do well in high school, b-but I didn't care!
losers, all of em

I resent success because I compared myself to those around me. I'm constantly measuring myself against things other than my past.

>have you ever measured yourself against anything but your own lousy past?
I measured my cock against the inside of your wife's mouth, bitch

GADDIS STATUS: DESTROYED!

>implying that I'm a Marxist and/or a nihilist
>implying that I'm not studying precisely because I recognize my own intellectual shortfalls compared to the people that I look up to the most