Meditations

What version of this book should I get?

Inb4 don't even read it

Don't even read it.

I've seen the one with the red bird on it recommended

I would go for the everyman's library one, that looks real nice

I'll look into those two thanks

Veeky Forums doesn't like this book these days; it became too popular.

Don't even read it, it's too popular. Stoicism is too popular and therefore it is bad, irrespective of its actual efficacy or lack thereof. You should adopt Manichean mysticism instead.

folio society edition

>Telling everyone about Manichean mysticism

Great now you've gone and fucking ruined it. Thanks

>irrespective of its actual efficacy or lack thereof

Cringe

Marcus Aurelius is for plebs. Get on my level and read Seneca and Epictetus.

Pick up Pierre Hadot the inner citadel

the free online public domain kind

penguin is fine. it's all the same shit, this isn't poetry.

those are all for plebs
patricians are pyrrhonists
didnt you know that
aha guess not cuz noone knows anything

this thread is now QTDDTOT

What is the best edition of Canterburry tales?

the riverside chaucer you simple goon

I like the "Oxford world classics" version I have.

Nice notes and maps.

read epictetus as well.

just bought it, ty my man

it's not even an actual book. it's just a collection of lightweight memey motivational quotes assembled for pseudointellectual fedoras with too shitty of an attention span to read actual philosophy.

but to answer your question, always go with oxford world classics if possible. they are cheap and of good quality

>buying books instead of going into an academic library with demagnetizing equipment and waltzing out all the books you want
LOL, get on my level cunt

Nice bait, cunt.

did I hit a little too close to home, neckbeard?

Nope, it's just that your tone reeks of pseud.

t. pseud

ishygddt

ITT: pseud fight

nah, I worked at a university library and saved a few from ending up in the discard bin. a lot of the classics are being replaced with e-anthologies and a fuckton of books end up getting thrown out every year or so. quite depressing, really.

This may appear that I have been baited but I enjoy talking about The Meditations so whatever.

The Meditations is not only an unpretentious philosophy which champions personal virtue, but its also a great story and character study of Marcus Aurelius himself, through whom the reader is able to fully grasp the sentiment of his words.

Be an individual. Be virtuous towards others. Live in accordance with nature (accept that life unfairly creates and destroys), and remember you'll die one day and by accepting this life can be given much greater meaning.

>I worked at a university library

tell me stories senpai, was it easy pay?

>being a criminal
>going to hell
>get on my level

No thx desu enjoy the brimstone baka

just read enchiridion by epictetus far shorter and better

what i expected: something of fucking substance
what i got: hallmark card tier sentimental quotes and profound "philosophical" sayings

Meditations is a bunch of cheesy phrases put together. Don't waste your time.

Weak bait. Try harder this is /lit.

What would be a good introductory text for someone new to Manichean mysticism?

quality post

For free, there is the Long translation online on Wikisource.
For poetry, I quite like Penguin's translation by Staniforth.
For accuracy, Hard's translation for Oxford (or the Greek, you pleb. It's in Koine - the Greek has literally been simplified).

I would agree that reading the Enchiridion first is a benefit, but not because it is either shorter or 'better'. Wikisource has a good translation of Epictetus' Enchiridion (not to confuse it with St. Augustine's Enchiridion).

As far as I know, we have lost almost everything about Manicheanism, aside from stuff from China, and even then it's sparse. I would say: 1) Read about Mani and Manicheanism on Wikipedia; 2) St. Augustine's Confessions; 3) Whatever the holy book for Zoroastrianism is; 4) Academic work on Manicheanism.
But, then again, I know dick-all about this field,but I think this would be a good course of action.