The writing is trash and is for children. This we know

The writing is trash and is for children. This we know.

However, is it worth re-reading these for nostalgia's sake? I haven't read these for maybe 10-15 years.

did you like it before?

i dont know but people keep pushing me to read these as an adult since i never did as a child. i politely decline but in my mind im telling them to get fucked.

Yes but I was in grade school

Just watch the movies if you have any curiosity at all. If not don't bother.

No. Red Wall and A Series of Unfortunate Events are better for that and they have aged well.

just read watership down instead

Read le petit prince nigga

>harry potter and the deathly hallows is 10 years old next month

well fuck

Your better off watching the movies honestly.

rereading ASOUE with knowledge of literary canon made me appreciate it so much more. it's really the perfect children's series

Personally, I believe the only significance the book holds, is the ability to make the younger generation read. As for nostalgia, just watch the movies.

*stretches legs*

Why not? If it's been ten years, you'll be rediscovering everything. They may be 'trash', but they're delightful little books.

Ignore those recommending the movies. They're mostly terrible.

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them was a better movie than any of the other Potter movies. I haven't read a Potter book since grade school and can't comment on your question, OP, but that's my opinion.

pfft
Fantastic Beasts is by far the worst thing in the franchise, movie-wise.

But all of the movies suck and are weighed down by pretension. Fantastic Beasts is just a nice, light romp through New York with a happy ending and a well-tied-up narrative. The Potter saga is just DeGrassi: The Magical Generation. It was great to get the fuck out of Hogwarts and see something from the perspective of an expert on some facet of the wizarding world instead of following a stupid rich orphan around. Fuck Harry Potter.

They are fairly comfy to read, I read them for the first time a few months ago, not "become a billianare" worthy but still strung together well with a consistent narrative over 7 books with the story and ending planned out from the start. There are also so many meanings you can extrapolate from the latter books and the bildungsroman nature of Harry's persepective as an adolescent.

It gets too much shit for being popular, its fine.

I thought the movies were shitty

>It gets too much shit for being popular, its fine.
This.

Sure why not.
I'm currently reading them because i didn't read them as a kid and I'm legitimately enjoying them.

Nah. Just play Witch Trainer.

>weighed down by pretension.
yikes

They're very pure. The world is captivating and I don't think there has been a single somewhat bookish person with an occasionally difficult life that didn't wish they went to school at Hogwarts. It also has very dark moments and is sometimes epic in the later books. Definitely meant to be read growing up as they release but still something everyone should reaf.

The 6th one is the best, you're in for a treat.

>Ten years ago was ten years ago
Damn...

The first is a classic of children's literature. However, in my opinion the series grows along with Harry so once it gets to the teenage years it just becomes shitty teen fiction. Doesn't help that it's formulaic as fuck either

It's also the godawful tumblrkin fanbase that has turned other people off to the series, which was partially the result of Rowling's outspoken political opinions I think. It sucks that their image has been tainted by the association with the weirdo tumblr crowd, because they're genuinely nice books for teens and young adults to get into reading through.