Brave New World

Why is this shit so praised?

It's an amazing concept that gets completely destroyed by the Author.

I just need to read the 1st chapter to understand what's going to happen.

At least Orwell could keep me curious during his novels.

Both BNW and 1984 suffer from the same issue. The world building is interesting, but the plot and character development suffer from the pulp writing of the time.

I bet you are the kind of guy that gets mad when someone spoils a film or a tv show.

>reading for the plot
LMAO!!!

>What's the point of reading when you can just use Google and Wikipedia?

A good plot is the premium way to deliver an idea or a lesson.

Because then you're allowing whoever writes the synopsis to color your view of the book. I say this as a guy who pretty much only reads synopses these days

t. american dilettante

t. actual sub 90 iq

t. low self-esteem person

Was it alcohol in his blood-surrogate?

I just got this book last year at the flea market for 25 cents and was excited to read it but I did fell that it fell alittle flat.

Was worth the 25 cents, seriously if you love reading books you should go to flea markets because I find books dirt cheap, sometimes people just give them away.

Not OP but BNW's prose if fucking trash

I need to try more flea markets. I hit up goodwill a lot, which is kinda like an organized flea market, and I get paperbacks at like .50-1$ and hardcovers for 1-3$

Personally thought the world building was silly. The sort of mockery of proverbial knowledge through the sleep hypnopaea, to getting grossed out by the use of the word "mother" , not enough explanation for certain things like that drug everyone does.

Writing was whatever for the most part but one good scene and one bad scene always stuck out to me as representative of its quality. First was this silly experimental switching between scenes and perspectives to reflect the sleep conditioning, was around page 50. The other was using one of those mean-nothing nursery rhyme mocking proverb things in the middle of an emotional scene, when the savage's mom was dying.

Also the names and shakespeare references were epic.

Favorite part was the conversations between the Ford and the Savage.

>its a villain explains the entire social commentary of the novel almost verbatim the author's personal views
How many dystopian """""""clasics"""""""" fall victim to this?
>1984
>BNW
>Fahrenheit 451

Goodwill can have good stuff, I also go to my local thrift shops since they sell everything for a dollar. We even got a new dollar store where all the books are free so I check there every once and awhile but there isn't much there. It's weird because it's right next door to a bookstore so I found Frankenstein for free and then 15 steps later it was 9.99 at the bookstore. Buying and selling at flea markets have really taught me alot about cost and worth.

Hit up flea markets, yard sales, thrift stores and craigslist in and around a major college/university before christmas and end of school year. Even dumpster dive at college housing and nearby apartments at those times. College give will sell cheap, give away or throw away all kinds of books around those times.

>Also the names and shakespeare references were epic.
I just finished and liked it but this. The less-than-subtle names and blatant Shakespeare references were annoying.

>reading
LMAO!!!

Also just in comparison to other books, pavlovian conditioning and cultural prophecies have been done better. I think /some/ interesting comparisons can be made to ours and bnw's world, but meh.

Orwell was a mistake.

T H I S
H
I
S

Not at all true
Orwell was a good writer, far better than Huxley

Orwell had interesting characters too.

>that part where they visit the native reservation

jesus that was awful

Everything having to do with the Savage was pretty bad -- such a transparent plot device. My major gripe is that Huxley provided no rationale/philosophy for his society. Why did it exist? What did it want? Why was it organized the way it was?

Katherine Burdekin > George Orwell > Aldous Huxley

Prison system critique.

Both BNW and 1984 are shit.
this shits let me down.
but animal farm is good fable.

Watch shin sekai yori

Unironically

I mean it's not that great but I finished it and felt like I learned something.
Isn't that what it's all about?

>crams entire redundant chapter of preaching into his narrative

*tips trostskist

Same here. I almost buy nothing at full value anymore.
I just did these last few days since school let out in my area, and I got a fantastic haul for under 80$. Something like 30 books, all classics or highly regarded lit too.

BNW was not a well written book